ChangoLanzao

Is ours the only sport ...

... that has a tangible symbol as powerful as the closing pin, so small and artistic, that a large proportion of the participants wear one as a charm or piece of jewelry? Examples? I'm starting out researching this and would appreciate some leads from you guys. Thanks!

(My apologies if this is a duplicate thread, I did a quick search, but didn't find anything here)

alot of scuba divers wear jewelry that reflects the sport but it is usually not just "one" symbol in itself. alot of guys wear a pieces of eight that was found on a wreck.....some chicks wear a charm of their favorite underwater animal....some don't wear anything at all....it just varies.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Yes...I've seen various charms used by SCUBA divers too, but there doesn't seem to be any single universal symbol for SCUBA divers. Something like an O-ring from a regulator doesn't seem to offer any charming properties :P

How about the carabinier for climbers? I've seen a lot of climbers use them for keyrings and a few with little tiny ones on a neck chain. I don't think there is any other "symbol" for climbers.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

and they're not so easy to carry around on your belt.

They're easy to get to follow you, though. All you need is a recently (within the last 2 days) delivered pizza and an unopened can of Go Fast...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

C'mon you guys! Work with me here ... I'm trying to find some serious examples.

The caribiner around the neck; that might just qualify for what I'm looking for. The criterion is:

If i saw a person wearing THIS they *are* a climber, right?

A caribiner on the belt or waist with keys on it? Nah ... more likely just a nerd who's found a deal at Harbor Freight Tools [Wink]

... participants wear one as a charm or piece of jewelry?

I wear a gold lightning bolt on a piece of 550 cord core line around my neck. Most people would have a gold charm such as mine--it was actually rather expensive--on an expensive gold chain. I enjoy knowing that cord holding the bolt came from a canopy I jumped often.

The lightning bolt has symbolic significance as a weapon of Indra and, generally, symbolizes considerable power from the sky.

In reading the above, I realize I didn't help at all to answer your question. And the symbolism of the bolt and the cord is really significant only to me.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Yes...I've seen various charms used by SCUBA divers too, but there doesn't seem to be any single universal symbol for SCUBA divers. Something like an O-ring from a regulator doesn't seem to offer any charming properties :P

There is one that I see all the time - a dolphin.

A lot of scuba divers have it as a charm or necklace.
Occasionally as a tattoo.

Nobody would wear a closing pin if they didn't dive. Everyone has a carabiner or shark's tooth or dolphin. The essential thing about the closing pin is that nobody knows what it is unless they are in the club. It's like a secret handshake.

By contrast, if someone had a golf tee on a necklace, I'd say they golfed. Like a closing pin, it's not otherwise useful or, for that matter, attractive. Nobody would wear one unless they were terribly into golf. On the other hand, it's not a secret symbol since even those who have never played golf know what a golf tee is. Nobody knows what a closing pin is unless they do.

But in the spirit of your question, wearing a golf tee is not a common way to express your golfiness although, if I saw someone wearing one, I wouldn't conclude they liked to play tennis.

Lots of people wear that sperm symbol pendant on a necklace, but I'm not sure what sport that's associated with.

I know some motorcyclists who wear an inline 2-cylinder 248 cc engine block on a neck chain, but that could signify lots of things.

a lot of recreational divers are easily identified by the diver down flag, they wear em on pendants, clothing, hats, flip flops, ear rings, tattoos, stickers...etc.

commercial divers are easily identified by the alpha flag or a markV helmet. they wear these in pendants, clothing, hats, tattoos...etc sometimes the markV is supstituted for a superlite or miller, I've actually seen a couple of savoie tattoos only a diver would know what that was about..

also commercial divers use carabiners just as much and probably more than rock climbers..as well as a million other type of clips and shackles. carabiners are not just for rock climbing nor were they invented by rock climbers for that sole purpose. some certain types of carabiners are more favorable or specific for climbing purposes.

i've seen a bunch of gear heads wear pistons on necklaces and all that before too.

just like shooters like wearing a bullet..

theres fanatics for just about everything and birds of a feather can spot each other in a crowd no matter what.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Rugby players wear a lot of scars on their shins. And maybe a few on the hands, possibly the face, also arms.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley