GreenLight

Jump Prices Lowering With Fuel Prices?

I don't know what others around the country are paying for altitude these days but it seems that with the way that fuel prices are plummeting, you would think that the price of altitude might go down a little as well. Has anyone out there seen the price of altitude go down yet? I sure haven't $27 cash to 12,500 here. Regular auto gas today was $2.11. The last time gas was this cheap I believe I was paying $18 per jump.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

well some cool dzo's have lowered theres big time. some have not. take it for what it is. I think it is bullshit if they don't but what do I know. I am not going to name names so do your research and you will find out.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Take into account last time gas was this cheap -- diesel was cheaper ----- now its more expensive than regular

Diesel and Jet A are about the same.

So I think the days of $18 are over but $20 is fair

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

"Diesel and Jet A are about the same."

Ya well that's a load of you know what also. But still the price of fuel has gone down so of course I feel that the price of a jump ticket should come down. After all, according to the DZOs it went up for that reason.
Green Light

Some dropzone's are lowering prices.

Skydive Chicago had to increase prices in the spring by a dollar, to I think $26 per jump. A few months ago they lowered all ticket prices to $20 for the rest of the season. Part of this is of course trying to keep business as the season gets colder, but if it wasn't for the decrease in gas price they wouldn't have gone that low.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

"$38 (cdn) for 9.5 or 10k here (Cessna)

$35 (cdn) at another DZ with a Caravan going to 13.5 "

It would be time to start a skydiving club at those prices. That is just "plane" crazy... And no that is not a typo.
Green Light

"$38 (cdn) for 9.5 or 10k here (Cessna)

$35 (cdn) at another DZ with a Caravan going to 13.5 "

It would be time to start a skydiving club at those prices. That is just "plane" crazy... And no that is not a typo.

Those are very much inline with canadian prices.
Remster

"Those are very much inline with canadian prices."

OH! Hey I thought your money was better than ours now. Guess not? I would STILL be looking to form a club at those prices. All you need is a willing plane and pilot. A dirt runway is easy to produce. Of course you guys are jumping in the snow now eh?
Green Light

Ya but you only pay for gear once in a while. You pay for altitude on every jump. It adds up. What ever you do, never add up all the money you spend on skydiving. If you wife sees it she will leave you. Or worse yet, want to skydive with you.:S

I just heard that our DZ just dropped the rates $2. I must call in the morning to check out that rumor.

Green Light

Here is a link the spot prices for diesel and Jet A at various places provided by the US energy information administration. These prices do not include tax and delivery from the refinery. Keep in mind that Diesel has much more tax applied than Jet A. You can see that the price at the refinery is almost the same for Diesel and Jet Fuel.

If the price for Jet A is still $4+ then the company making the delivery to the DZ is adding one hell of a markup.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_spt_s1_m.htm

This link shows the monthly averages. It does not yet reflect the drop that we have had in Nov. You can look at daily or weekly prices by selecting a different setting on that page. The prices shown are in cents per gallon.

Here is a better link for JetA prices at each airport: http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html Type in your local airport code and you will get the fuel price. There is a difference between K-1 and JetA, the prices you are looking at is for K1 fuel.

For the midwest near me: 100LL is $4.10—$6.39 and its average is $5.20 and Jet A is $4.16—$5.84 with its average $5.06. K-1 is going for $3.55 or so.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ya but you only pay for gear once in a while. You pay for altitude on every jump.

consider the gear cost amortized over every jump you make on it

or, you could pay up front for 6 years of jumps

it's apples to apples - it's all the cost to jump

(digression - regular fuel - $1.65 on the way to work)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"or, you could pay up front for 6 years of jumps"

That was tried at Elsinore before the current owner/s took over. Jim Omera, the owner at the time ended up taking off with the money leaving the airport to fend for itself.

Bandit style skydiving could make a huge comeback if things keep going the way they are now. After all, the USPA has no monopoly on skydiving. It is perfectly legal to "do it yourself" without their help.
Green Light