gsxrjumper720

MTV Putting skydivers in jeopardy

To my knowledge USPA has done nothing about that incident.

Hi Jan, not exactly the case. I did an investigation last summer and interviewed both the pilot and the TM. I also did about a two hour phone interview with the FAA official who was in charge of the investigation.
He told me that the FAA was initially not going to get invloved and let the ploice handle it as a suicide but later changed that decision after a complaint from a concerned citizen. When I asked him who the complaint came from he told me that was confidential but that it was "one of our own" (in other words a fellow skydiver)
He said it would take about 2 or 3 months to complete the investigation and then he would turn it over to their legal department for a final decision. His opinion was that a violation may have occured but that it was not likely much would come from it. I told him to contact me as soon as possible when they came to a conclusion and that USPA would wait for their investigation to be complete before we would consider any action on our part. I discussed my decision with the staff at the BOD meeting in alexandria and they agreed that was reasonable approach.
Well, that was 8 months ago and I never heard anything back from the FAA and as you know it is no longer my problem.

There is a 180 day statute of limitations for any USPA disciplinary action. That has transpired, ergo USPA has done nothing about this incident.

Self regulation is not exemplified by waiting for an FAA decision. Self regulation is being pro-active to get members to comply to the party line preferably without a disciplinary action taking place. USPA does not seem to do that enough these days. Instead, USPA threatens and admonishes persons and DZOs, who are not in the 'beautiful people' category, instead of educating them about the rules and the consequences of their actions. The people in the good ole' boy network, of course, have always had a bypass. But that has lead to USPA being more vulnerable.

If USPA did what it should be doing, convincing and persuading dzos to follow the rules, then there would not be this polarization and antagonism against DZs.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Illegal yes, but I can understand why they'd want to use base rigs. Much safer on a low pull.

Sad thing though is it's the pilot's ass if there's any flak for it. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the pilot didn't know it was a rule violation too, but I'm sure the jumpers did.

Illegal yes, but I can understand why they'd want to use base rigs. Much safer on a low pull.

Sad thing though is it's the pilot's ass if there's any flak for it. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the pilot didn't know it was a rule violation too, but I'm sure the jumpers did.

Not much of a pilot if he didn't FAR105 before conducting parachuting ops.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Not much of a pilot if he didn't FAR105 before conducting parachuting ops.

Not much of a pilot spinning the R-44 with a couple guys hanging on the skids, lucky they didn't bent the bird doing that...or worse.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I finally got to watch it today, it was great. I don't like them cutting away over the water like that either. I've heard from several divers that say you'd be surprised at some of the stuff under water, trees, etc.. When he said altitude abuse, I took it as he pulled higher than he needed.

The tricycle jumping was awesome though.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Just a technicality - is it not the BASE canopy (rather than the rig) that's safer on a low pull? Could they not have packed a BASE canopy into a 2-parachute, TSO'd piggyback container, slider-down, no D-bag, and achieved close to the same result?

I've seen a huge number of friends test-jumping BASE canopies out of TSO'd containers. Just not sure how much of an advantage the container itself lends to the practice of pulling low...

(Of course, the waiver would likely be the proper way to go, but sounds like they didn't go for that)...
Signatures are the new black.

Just a technicality - is it not the BASE canopy (rather than the rig) that's safer on a low pull?

It's both.

Most skydiving rigs mount the closing loop on a tongue attached to the reserve container.

Most pin-closed BASE rigs mount the closing loop(s) on one of the flaps.

A line is more likely to half-hitch around the closing loop mount with the skydiving rig.

Could they not have packed a BASE canopy into a 2-parachute, TSO'd piggyback container, slider-down, no D-bag, and achieved close to the same result?

Sure. Most people don't have a big enough one lying around though.

Just a technicality - is it not the BASE canopy (rather than the rig) that's safer on a low pull?

It's both.

Most skydiving rigs mount the closing loop on a tongue attached to the reserve container.

Most pin-closed BASE rigs mount the closing loop(s) on one of the flaps.

A line is more likely to half-hitch around the closing loop mount with the skydiving rig.

Thanks for the info. Good to know. So I suppose the waiver would've been a better option.

Could they not have packed a BASE canopy into a 2-parachute, TSO'd piggyback container, slider-down, no D-bag, and achieved close to the same result?

Sure. Most people don't have a big enough one lying around though.

Good point...but then again, most people can't afford to charter a couple of helicopters to shoot an episode of their MTV show, either. :P
Signatures are the new black.

Good point...but then again, most people can't afford to charter a couple of helicopters to shoot an episode of their MTV show, either. :P

Or trash a handful of motorcycles jumping them into a lake.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

thought I'd bump this thread. no one has posted about tonight's show. they base the palm's hotel in vegas. both day and night. and travis damn near dies on a motorcycle base jump. comes as close to a bounce as you can w/o dieing that boy ain't right:S

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

thought I'd bump this thread. no one has posted about tonight's show. they base the palm's hotel in vegas. both day and night. and travis damn near dies on a motorcycle base jump. comes as close to a bounce as you can w/o dieing that boy ain't right:S

I watched yesterday and almost couldn't sleep after that... a millisecond more for the chute to open and he'd have a serious hit...

A friend of mine told me that one of them died last month in one of the stunts... somehow I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be true.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

. . . lucky they didn't bent the bird doing that...or worse.

Soooo, pretty good pilot then!! ;)

Not so much...it's called putting the aircraft, passengers and ground people in jeopardy.

That aircraft is built to certain operational parameters, among those there is nothing regarding having weight on the skids during flight ops.

Sure it's done, and yes it causes structural damage in some instances...

The skids are designed to take a load from the bottom pushing UP, and even then are designed to fail in a predictable manner that can make 'some' hard landings survivable.

Having a couple hundred pounds out there, and then increasing not only the load but the directional forces being applied by centrifugal force during the spinning, shows a rather significant lack of understanding and safety on the pilot's part.

No doubt in MY mind that had there been some Feds on site during the filming, someone's ticket would be under review...added to that the allowing of reserve less jumpers exiting his AC ~ the only radio that guy would be talking into would be to ask- "Ya want fries with that?"

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

anyone know of a pilot actually having any action taken against them for a technically illegal jump?? I don't. I have read cases where pilots were caught with illegal contraband (expensive cargo) and NOT punished because it was proven they had no knowledge of the illegal transport.

I have probably dropped between 1500-2000 skydivers in my day and not ONCE did i inspect a reserve card.

any of you ever use a packer? unless that packer was a rigger or under the direct supervision of one, you are in violation of 105.43(a). ...might as well have jumped your warlock

rules are for skydivers...
its base bitches!