Emmie

Getting back into skydiving after a break

So, has anyone had an experience getting back into the sport after a long lay off? I've had to take a year and half off to finish up graduate school, take the bar, and find a job....took longer than I anticipated! The year prior to that I did just enough jumping to keep current. I decided that it was safer to just stop skydiving and wait until I was able to devote my full attention to it rather than jumping here and there.

At this point, I finally have the time and the money to get back into skydiving and not do it half assed, but, I'm sort of nervous about it. It's been a while. I still have all my gear, my USPA membership, and have been flying in the tunnel a whole lot this winter. I think that its more of a mental thing than anything else. There's no doubt in my mind that this is something that I want to get back to. Just have to take that first step, which is the hard part.

Any suggestions as well as personal experiences are welcome:)

Hi Emmie,

I had a very long lay off (9+ years) and just got back in the air 2 weeks ago.

I too was a little nervous. Mostly about my confidence, awareness and expectations. For me it was really the reactions of everyone at the DZ. From the first point of me calling them to enquire about jumping again to my debrief with my instructor after refresh. The experience I had was nothing but a genuine desire to get me in the air safely and warmth to have me back in the 'family'.

Best decision I ever made.

Call up your old DZ, I'm sure they will be delighted to hear from you and help get your knees back in the breeze. B|

Good luck.

BP
:)

I was off for about 2 years myself.Once I got to the Dz seemed like alot of the anxiety I had about getting back in the air wore off.I went up with a friend of mine and we did a two way and as soon as I exited it all was good.Terrific jump,like I never was out of the sport.
Take your time,get with a current jumper,talk,review your EP's and once YOU are ready,then jump.
Blue Skies
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Welcome back! I recently went thru a lay off of 4 1/2 months ( longest I had gone since my start in the sport) and I was quite anxious. I did A LOT of visualization prior to jumping. I reviewed the SIM. Drilled EP's in my head. Talked with coaches and asked for their advice before our jump. Dont forget to BREATHE/RELAX... it all came back to me/no problem. Most anxiety gone as soon as I jumped into the beautiful blue.So, am sure you'll be fine.. enjoy/keep us all posted. blues/soft landings
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I've had to take a year and half off to finish up graduate school, take the bar, and find a job

Well, congrats on that :)
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I did all my jumps 90-93 then one in 96 another one in 01 and just got current again with the intent of staying consistent with it this time. Each time I called the DZ first to find out what the requirements would be. I basically had to do a refresher course. They put me in the harness and ran me through the different types of malfunctions, etc. Be sure to review the SIM since some things may have changed since you last jumped. They definitely did for me!

In all honestly, it was just like riding a bike. I wasn't nervous at any point in the process. The instructor was impressed with my level of recall and cleared me after only one jump. How many jumps it takes for you to get cleared will depend on how ready your instructor feels you are.

Being back in the air was awesome! After that first jump, I got on the next load and made a solo jump from 18k. It was pretty sweet!
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Stop typing, (read shut up) and jump!;)

Have someone check out your emergency procedures, go do a solo and you'll be up to speed. It's not that hard.:P

I agree with you.

Many places won't allow a solo. Many places also WAY over charge for a currency dive. I hope this will not be the case. I took a person out on a currency dive after a 6 year layoff this past weekend. They already had 300 plus jumps and recent tunnel time.

The folks at the dropzone where the currency dive was originally planned, wanted a grand total of 170 bucks and the jumper was using self owned equipment. I don't quite understand the justification.

All went well.

By the way that DZ is not a local (to me) DZ, the jumper was visiting the area from out of state.

Bottom line though. Just go jump as councilman24 said!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The folks at the dropzone where the currency dive was originally planned, wanted a grand total of 170 bucks and the jumper was using self owned equipment. I don't quite understand the justification.

:o:o That is such bullshit! I cant can beleive some dz's would do that.....
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I just took a D lic. friend with 1500 jumps out to last week who took 6 years off. He was fine. Why pay someone $200 to hold your hand who might have less experience then you. Do some reading to get current with whats new and whats still old, a lot of practice handles and dirt dive your brain off. Everything else is like riding a bike.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

>Why pay someone $200 to hold your hand who might have less
>experience then you.

Because experience has shown that lack of currency kills - and that $200 gets you someone who can save your life if you screw up. When you are years uncurrent, it's time to check your ego at the door and get some good instruction.

>Everything else is like riding a bike.

Except if you "fall off" you die.

I took 11 years off because I got married had kids and could not realy afford it.But I got current last year and yes as I was falling there was a red streak behind me everyone thought i had smoke on but it was just the rust coming off.
Smile,pull,land

>Why pay someone $200 to hold your hand who might have less
>experience then you.

Because experience has shown that lack of currency kills - and that $200 gets you someone who can save your life if you screw up. When you are years uncurrent, it's time to check your ego at the door and get some good instruction.

>Everything else is like riding a bike.

Except if you "fall off" you die.

There are always what ifs and your point can be driven in until people don't want to hear it anymore.

$200 or 170 ... That's still steep for someone who can clearly demonstrate Emergency procedures plus can fly well in the tunnel.

Do I need to retrain someone that has proven they understand and can demonstrate all the TLOs and emergency procedures? I would have no issue having them sit through emergency procedures review if needed.

Regarding the person I jumped with, absolutely no ego was present. Real live concern and fear is more like it. 3 jumps later, the full on exit anxiety was finally diminishing.

I was there for support coaching and for the off chance my AFF skills were needed.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I just got back into it last week after 18 months off. I was burned out with so much stuff I just needed to clear the schedule a bit and take some time off. It's not that hard to get back into it. Just do your thing and go back when your ready.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Between April 1997 and May 2000 I made about 350 jumps. Then I stopped due to my first child and then second child and devoted myself to being a mom (I couldn't justify going to the dz on weekends while I worked all week - weekends were family time).

Then I got divorced and found myself with every other weekend bored to death so in September of 2007 I got back in the air without hesitation. I actually did a 3 way with two close friends of mine - one of which was an AFF instructor - the other with thousands of jumps. We spent time on the ground reviewing emergency procedures and made an absolutely amazing jump. It was like I hadn't been out of the air for 7 years.

Since then I have made almost another 100 jumps and don't see myself ever leaving the sport again. I just got my static line Instructor rating current and am just absolutely having the best time of my life!
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Hey Emmie! It's like riding a bicycle. I am the king of layoffs, or at least close to it. Time between jump 849 and 850 was 25 years. After the second one, it was like I never left. Did RW, landed standing in the peas. Just go through a very thorough recurrency training with an instructor you trust. Read the last chapter of my book, "Between Heaven and Earth," for a full account.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm heading out to the dz tomorrow! I got lucky in that the dropzone's offering a free recurrency refresher course, so all I have to pay for is a coach jump. Can't wait! I will let you all know how it goes!!!:)