Atmodude

Atmonauti

One Wednesday night about ten years ago I'm at a raging party in the Perris Ghetto, (where else can you find a raging party on a Wednesday night?) and I'm wandering from conversation to conversation until sitting in with some Perris Ghetto old-timers (so old they used to be Elsinore Ghetto old-timers) and they are railing on free flyers.

And oh, how we laughed.

We guffawed at the clothes they wore, especially the hats, you know the kind only your old Uncle Charlie wore, and we mocked the lingo, "they should call themselves the sick dope bombs," one said, and we rolled on the floor laughing . . .

I mentioned just seeing Fritz (or was it the other guy, I couldn't tell them apart) sitting at a table in the bombshelter. He'd gathered all the salt, pepper, mustard, and ketchup containers, and he is arranging them, and then re-arranging them on the table and he is sooooo serious. We rolled on the floor laughing some more, the poor saps, my god, it must hurt to be so young . . .

After a bit more of this I stopped laughing.

It hit me all of a sudden that these good fellows are about to be paid back for something they did three and four decades ago. These guys, and the rest like them, are the ones who invaded skydiving back then, and literally reinvented the sport with their long hair hippie ways, and shocking the straights who practiced style and accuracy. Relative work was the new thing. And this was hard to take by the straight group, as many of them remember a time when exiting more than one jumper on a pass was dangerous, and even a time when it was outlawed.

Now with the advent of Atmonauti, we see the first very small signs of resistance from the free fly community. "Who are these guys, and why are they changing things?" Well, here's a tip my brothers, resistance is futile. Someday, about ten years from now, Fritz and a bunch of free fly old-timers will be at a party in the Perris Ghetto on a Wednesday night, and they'll be rolling on the floor laughing. But their laughter will only serve to obscure the freight train that's coming right at them . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Quade where are you man ?

Right here still waiting to see something that differentiates this from what I've seen others do before.

If I look at hard core 4-way I can tell it's different than people doing 10-way speed. If I look at a person doing head down, he's clearly doing something different than belly-to-earth.

If I look at the photos of Atmonauti I can't see anything different than what I've seen in a tracking dive.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

and we rolled on the floor laughing . . .

Amen Brother!

Must have been about 20 years ago...

I was sitting in the back of my pickup with some Elsinore regulars when YOU walked by and said hello...

Comments were made regarding the 'parasite'
sport of BASE jumping and how it was ruining 'regular' skydiving.:ph34r:

One of the then 'old hands' made a comment
about how it would SURELY burn itself out...
through "Natural Selection"
and things would get back to the way
they were supposed to be...:)

Hummm...nobody's laughing now! B|;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>>I was sitting in the back of my pickup with some Elsinore regulars when YOU walked by and said hello... Comments were made regarding the 'parasite' sport of BASE jumping and how it was ruining 'regular' skydiving. <<

It just goes to prove, and I hate stealing this from the TV show, but: Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast really works . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

...i like this ===> Foto ~ it is steve's avatar: Beautiful!!...

What a beautiful shot! Now this is something I want to do!

i hope to fly Atmonauti with Gi & Marco one day!
that would be a dream come true :)

Amen, me too!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Flocking is a skydive, usually done in a head down position, but I have seen them lead in a sit/stand position, where a bunch of jumpers follow a leader on a diagnol trajectory across the sky.

Sounds A LOT like atmonauti, but I guess it's not seeing how atmonauti was only "invented" a couple years ago, and flocking has been happening for 10+ years.

I'm with you on this one Quade. And yes, I've done them...

Canuck

One of the then 'old hands' made a comment
about how it would SURELY burn itself out...
through "Natural Selection"
and things would get back to the way
they were supposed to be...

Hummm...nobody's laughing now

You can still laugh about skyboarding and freestyle. Those are about to be Darwinized.

New and different in some facet doesn't necessarily mean it will survive. Time will tell.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I believe what he means is that an atmonauti dive increases your freefall time as compared to a vertical freefly dive due to the differences in fall rate, in the same way a flat fly jump increases your freefall time over a sitfly.

Without the aid of a wingsuit, the best use of altitude is a tracking dive. I've been on a few (leading ;)) that were protracked and Neptuned in the low 80 mph range.

Canuck

Flying on a 45 degree angle (freefly flocking, atmonauti, whatever) only marginally extends your freefall time over vertical skydives. You will still burn a hole in the sky at least 25 percent faster than a flailing belly flyer. Want to really extend your horizontal, social, flying experience? Fly a wingsuit. I'll promise you there is nothing you can do in the atmonauti form that I cannot do in my wingsuit, and I will be doing it for a minimum of two minutes.

Edited to make a correction: anything other than flying efficiently feet-first.

Chuck