bill2

Question on jumping out of jets

I'm just curious as to how fast is too fast for jumping out of a plane. If you jumped out of an airliner going 400 mph, would be you hurt instantly or if you had enough altitude to gradually slow down and then pull, would you be ok?

Sort of depends on what you're talking about.

I doubt many experienced skydivers would try a high-speed hop-n-pop out of a jet, since most skydivers know it would probably shred the canopy and cause quite a bit of injury, but many, many skydivers would pay very good money to jump a jet DB Cooper style followed by a freefall and normal deployment. And they have at places like the World Freefall Convention and hopefully will again as soon as the Perris Jet is up and running.

High-speed ejections, on the other hand, happen with some frequency and from what I understand, you're considered lucky if you survive just the ejection with only minor injuries. You can read about them at the Martin Baker web site.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I doubt many experienced skydivers would try a high-speed hop-n-pop out of a jet, since most skydivers know it would probably shred the canopy and cause quite a bit of injury, but many, many skydivers would pay very good money to jump a jet DB Cooper style followed by a freefall and normal deployment. And they have at places like the World Freefall Convention and hopefully will again as soon as the Perris Jet is up and running.

but essentially, you're saying you could jump out of a jet at 400 - 500 mph and survive, as long as you waited for your speed to slow down before pulling.

My high speed jump exit out at WFFC from the jet was clocked at 225. Talk about kicking me in the ass B| But it was great fun. Don't think I would even think about doing a hop and pop at that speed.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

but essentially, you're saying you could jump out of a jet at 400 - 500 mph and survive, as long as you waited for your speed to slow down before pulling.

Oh, if I was going to set some sort of speed record for exiting aricraft I'm pretty sure it could be quite high depending on a number of factors. Altitude being one of them. Exiting at 400 mph at sea level is going to be a heck of a lot more forceful than same the same exit and speed at say, 24,000 feet.

But yes, I think it's possible.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've done 175 mph and 200 mph passes from the 727 at WFFC. I have also done high-speed passes out of a CASA. (They put it into a dive).

Anything over 175 tends to hammer you. I have friend who separated his shoulder during a high-speed CASA exit. 400-500 mph would be painful and damaging.

I have a suit that looks like Freddy Krueger attacked it because of a 200 mph exit.

Our 10-way speed exit out of the 727 involved legstrap grips. There was no way to hold on at exit. Being number 9 out, I was airborne for 1/2 the trip down the ramp. The wind rips all grips out of your hands and twists your body. That is just at 175 mph.

High-speed ejections, on the other hand, happen with some frequency and from what I understand, you're considered lucky if you survive just the ejection with only minor injuries. You can read about them at the Martin Baker web site.

The highest ejection speed I have heard of was 720 mph from a F-14. The pilot, front guy, survived and the RIO, back guy got shredded. With all the safety features on a modern seat anything below 450 is not that bad.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

good question. i have always wonered the same thing. if a jet was gonna crash...i'd be grabbib my rig and asking for altitude when we got to 15k

The problem would be getting out of the jet. I think (I'm sure one of the airline pilots will correct me) only the Boeing 727 and the McDonnell Douglas 80 have "air stairs" in the tail of the plane, and they're prevented from opening in flight by the "Cooper Vain." Even if you were crazy enough to attempt a side exit out of a commercial jetliner, you couldn't get the doors open without depressurizing the cabin (the doors open inward). Perhaps if there were a large hole blown in the fuselage, just under the tail, like in Airport (1970), you might be able to safely exit through the hole.

Blue skies,

Douva
D-22772
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

>Perhaps if there were a large hole blown in the fuselage, just under
> the tail, like in Airport (1970), you might be able to safely exit
> through the hole.

As I know some skydivers who were unable to exit from a CASA after it stalled - with the door open, their rigs on, and them in position for exit - I very much doubt that such an exit would be possible. Even on the ground, with no motion or air blast, would you be willing to jump through a two foot wide hole surrounded by jagged metal and torn cables?

>If you jumped out of an airliner going 400 mph, would be you hurt
>instantly or if you had enough altitude to gradually slow down and
>then pull, would you be ok?

All depends on the exit. I've balled up on exit out of the 727 at 220mph, and it didn't hurt much. I spun for a while until I slowed down to terminal, then went into a normal position. On another such jump I did a poised exit into rain; I thought my face was going to come off from the rain, and I had bruises from the impacts when I landed.

Anything over 175 tends to hammer you. I have friend who separated his shoulder during a high-speed CASA exit. 400-500 mph would be painful and damaging.
_______________----
What exactly hurt him? Just the force of the wind at that speed? I have never jumped anything like that, but it seems that as long as you didn't hit anything, and exited ok, you would be fine.

As I know some skydivers who were unable to exit from a CASA after it stalled - with the door open, their rigs on, and them in position for exit - I very much doubt that such an exit would be possible.

What prevented them from getting out of the CASA? did they survive?

Yeah, but a large percentage of ejection injuries are from an arm or leg striking part of the plane on ejection, and not from the airspeed.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I was told (by a source I can't remember, so chances are it wasn't all that good) that ejection exits feel like being hit in the ass with an almightily large baseball bat.

A good friend of mine has had an ejection from an F16. He said it was like "being kicked in the ass, face, and chest all at once". They were doing 300knots or so at 2500ft when they ejected. Luckily they had a chance to gain some altitude and slow down before ejecting. They were originally at about 200ft and doing about 500knots.

He survived the ejection(and his student did as well) with very minor cuts and bruises....didn't get injured on the landing....but broke his leg when he stepped in a gopher hole while running over to the other guy.. :S He still hasn't heard the end of it...and it was at least 6 years ago..

Mike

The highest ejection speed I have heard of was 720 mph from a F-14. The pilot, front guy, survived and the RIO, back guy got shredded. With all the safety features on a modern seat anything below 450 is not that bad.

Taken from http://digilander.libero.it/maddog666/serie.htm
Aircraft: A-12
6941/ #135M
M-21, Lost on 30 July 1966, near Midway Island, (some sources say Pt. Mugu, CA). While launching a D-21 drone, the drone was trapped in the shock wave of the aircraft, forcing the drone back into the M-21, causing the aircraft to break-up at Mach 3. The Lockheed Test Pilot Bill Park and the LCO (Launch Control Officer) Ray Torick ejected safely, but upon landing in the water Ray Torrick's suit, which became torn in the ejection, caused the suit to fill with water drowning Torrick. Bill Park was rescued safely. This crash prompted the end of the M-21/ D-21 program.

Aircraft: Lockheed SR-71
952/ #2003
Lost on 25 January 1966 near Tucumcari, NM. While in a 30 deg. bank at Mach 3 and 80,000 ft, the right engine had an unstart. Which caused the aircraft to desintegrate. The Lockheed RSO Jim Zwayer was killed in the bailout, while Lockheed Test Pilot Bill Weaver survived even though he never ejected, the aircraft desintegrated around him.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

The SR-71 ejections happened at such great altitudes that the drag experienced by the pilots was equivalent to something like 400 knots at sea level. So a great deal, but not nearly as much as the poor individual who survived the supersonic F-15E ejection (his weapons officer was not as lucky). The Soviets had an ejection seat that was actually designed for supersonic ejection. I think the most interesting fact about ejection seats is that they leave one fractionally shorter due to compression of the spine during the rocket burn.

What prevented them from getting out of the CASA? did they survive?

Most people are incapable of fighting the G-forces in an aircraft that enters a spin. Even with aircraft equiped with ejection seats if you cant get to the handles... you die. In non ejection seat aircraft, bailouts are affected by aircraft attitude Many crew were unable to crawl out of aircraft out of control due to disorienting spins.

I know someone who has worked for Matrin Baker, and when I asked him why their ejector seats don't have face/body shields like Soviet-developed ones, he replied "'cos we're not a bunch of pansies".

Personally, if I'm gonna eject, I want to be a pansy.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"