missfortunem

Do you check your gear before putting it on and again before exiting the plane? Be honest!

Just in case anyone forgot how important it is to do a gear check even if you're in a big hurry...

From my wonderful S&TA:
Please remember to always check your equipment before putting it on and before exiting the plane.

If you see something warn or starting to wear, please get it fixed. Our riggers could use the work (lol) and it could save you allot of pain later.

This sexy young lady in the picture can tell you what it is like to be in a sitfly and have your main deploy at 7000 ft. Besides being very cold up there that day, it was very painful.

So, if you see her around the drop zone, give her a nice shoulder and back rub, I'm sure she is still hurting.

If you can't tell who the hot sexy woman is in the picture, that just means you are not skydiving enough.

From your local area S&TA

Moral of the story: DO A GEAR CHECK!

Thoughts?

I agree that it may be the wrong forum, but the mods will decide.

What equipment were/are you jumping?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Okay, so what was it about your gear here, in the first place that apparently caused the premature? So far, you are also not not actually "reporting" very much either, about this "actual incident".

Do enlighten us then, so that others can potentially learn and avoid.

Glad for you that your injuries did not turn out to be, clearly much worse than they are. ...C'mon out to Delmarva soon, and I would be happy to personally provide you with that back-rub. Any time! ;)

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

It was early and I was trying to make the first load. I was packing for other people and as a result, did not check my own gear like I should have. We went to 15000 and in the plane I checked my handles, shoved my pc in a little further than normanl (I always do this when I freefly), and did a pin check. 9 of us did a big zoo sitfly jump and at 7000 the headdown guy in the picture came up and docked. The next thing I knew, my chin was touching my chest and I was under canopy. No one besides myself was injured. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the premature deployment is the couple of inches of exposed bridle.

Depends what you mean by "check". I usually fully inspect the container each jump morning for cuts in the harnesses and bad stitching. I check my pin before donning the rig prior to a jump. I check my PC before boarding the plane and prior to the door opening. I check my chest strap sometime during the plane. I also check my cutaway and reserve handle to make sure they're not loose.

Every so often I also check my rapid links to make sure they're not coming loose(found one bent open once) and undo twists in my break lines.

I'm not religious about the above but it's what I usually do. I don't ask for pin checks and don't really pay much attention to the color of the kill line showing in my bridle window.

Ouch! My best wishes for a speedy healing!
As for your question:
I inspect my gear in the morning checking all straps and stitching I can see, switch on the cypres, do a test pull on the PC, check the bridle and open the reserve and cut away velcro occasionally (aprox once a month).
Before I put the rig on I do a main- and reserve pin check and have a (rather short) look at the bridle routing.
After putting the rig on I check the chestrap is closed and to my EP drills, then board the plane. (Checking I have my alti, Goggles and helmet.)
Half the way up I check my chest strap and that the handles are in place and not loose. When we prepare for jump run I again check my chest strap, PC and reach back for the main pin. I do seldom ask for pin checks unless I have a reason to think it might have moved. Then I check for my leg straps being evenly tight.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Wow that sounds and looks like it really hurt! I hope you heal quickly, I had a slammer a week ago and I am still feeling the effects also.

I am really glad there was no one above you when this happened, that would have been ugly :(.

Blues,

Phil

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

First thing every - jumping - morning, I do a "jumpmaster check" on my rig: 3-rings, handles, pins, buckles, turn on Cypres, a quick glance over webbing, etc.
A couple minutes before exit I do a "3 of 3 check."
I pat all my handles in the last minute before exit (an old-school TI habit).
After dropping an IAD or S/L student and climbing back in, I check my main pin cover.

I do a thorough check on my own gear on the way to altitude, in addition to a check on the ground. I don't push the PC into the BOC for just the reason that probably caused your premature. Just by feeling with my fingers I am able to determine that everything is tight and is where I set it while on the ground. I only once found that my bridle came out a little and changed the dive to stay on my belly.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Its so important to be carefull of your gear. I think so many people get complacent. On this jump it turned out mostly ok because no one got too hurt.

If there had been someone above her things would of been much much worse. This all happens really fast. One other thing to be learned (did right here) is that on freefly dives (or any dive) be carefull to avoid flying over the top of a person.

Gonna give a shot at puttin the vid on here..
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The head down guy docked on my knees. It looks interesting in the video because his right hand came around at the same time my pilot chute was flying up past my head. We're know though that he had nothing to do with it. He was lucky too to not get hit by my flailing limbs. I will never again be in such a hurry to make a load that I don't properly check my gear.

I check my gear thoroughly before putting it on, and check several times on the way up, that the hacky it still snug, leg straps are still snug, and that the RSL is still hooked up. Before I exit, I'll reach back and check my main pin to make sure it's seated all the way through the closing loop, and that my reserve flap is still closed.

Cheers

I do a full check at the start of a day - when I turn on my cypres. After that, no matter what, before I put my rig on, I check my closing pin/bridle and pilot chute (flattening my pilot chute a little bit more as well) - it all takes 2 secs. Before I get on the plane I check my chest strap and then again at 10k. I don't ask for a pin check in the plane as I am very aware of where I sit/move in the plane and know if I dislodged my pin. On every climb to altitude, I discreetly do my reserve drills as well.

I may sound as though I am being paranoid, but that is my routine. If you use packers, always check your pin/bridle/cocked pilot chute and boc for ease of pull. Even if you pack for yourself, a last check of pin/bridle/cocked pilot chute is a good habit to get into.

For those that my question my lack of asking for a pin check in the plane, I have a problematic flap on my Javelin. I know that when I close that flap (between the 2 flaps) after my checks before putting my rig on, I know it is closed and won't come out. 2 weekends ago I was in the plane and giving a friend a pin check when someone just opened my flap to give me a pin check. Much as I appreciated it, I was not happy. I tried to tell him where to replace the flap, but to no avail.

On exit, my flap came undone....

I have rabbited on long enough:P

Liz

The only thing that I can think of that may have caused the incident would have been my slightly exposed bridle.

Glad to hear that you are OK. Saw the vid and it looks nasty. I just have one newbie question and a bit hesitant to ask, but here goes anyways. Could an exposed bridle cause a premi? I thought more than likely it pull the pin and release the dbag, but jam the PC in the pouch. I'm asking this since I've looked at Brians way of packing a PC that would decrease the chances of a horseshoe.

>For those that my question my lack of asking for a pin check in the plane . . .

I usually don't get one either. During my gear check I feel around to make sure my main flap is still closed. If it is, then the pin is fine. If it's open or different, I ask for a pin check.

I jump a lovely old vector 2. The only thing that I can think of that may have caused the incident would have been my slightly exposed bridle. I always checked my pc before I exit, so I'm fairly certain that it wasn't exposed in any way.

my first (used) rig was a VECTOR 2. i just had to freefly, so i had to make it safe to do what it was not designed to do. with much advice from more experienced jumpers and riggers, and witnessing a few (other people's) premies, i developed packing methods that kept me safe for at least 300 jumps. it IS all about the bridle and the pin.

#1: s-fold the bridle into the taco-shaped pc. i hope you understand how to make a taco out of a pc. if not, consult an old timer, a brit, or maybe your rigger;

#2: when stowing the pc, leave just enough bridle out so you can get the pc in the pouch. then, when you stow the bridle under the right flap, you have to pull the bridle out of the stowed pc, causing tension on the bridle. this avoids LOOSE exposed bridle;

#3: keep your main closing loop new, and TIGHT. it makes for a hard pull, but better that, than a premie! (check with a rigger on this one. i have since learned that having a main closing loop that is too short can create it's own problems.);

#4: if you're going to freefly a Vector 2, keep a plastic jezus on your dashboard... you're going to need it.