heidihagen

do you wear earplugs when you jump?

that's actually what sparked the question! my ears always hurt the following day, like i have a ton of water in my ears.
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

im known as being a freak about earplugs because i tend to wear them pretty much all the time at the DZ, if theres a plane running, especially the skyvan or chopper, ive got them in, it also helps block out the shitty music.

i wear the clear attenuating ones on the ground, so i can talk normally, and the yellow corncob-on-a-string ones larksheaded to my goggles when jumping.

i also have a bag of the foam ones in my backpack.

a skyvan is somewhere in the range of 130Db inside, and not much better outside,most other planes are in the 110-120 range thats INSTANT, PERMANENT, IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE.:|

I wear them in the plane, but remove them prior to the jump.
Gotta be sure to hear my audible;)

I hear mine better with earplugs. It makes sense to me, the wind noise cannot overpower the audible sound.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have heard this before. I bought an audible and could not hear it at all because of my hearing loss:
My hearing shuts off @ 6K HZ's. I sold it to a guy at the DZ who needed one. I then discovered that wearing ear plugs makes it easier to hear the audible
I have yet to try it only because I don't have it anymore, but still it's an interesting concept??

I hear mine better with earplugs. It makes sense to me, the wind noise cannot overpower the audible sound.

Same with me. Mine is easier to hear with earplugs.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

firstime, just replying to your post because it was last...

I have been told by other jumpers that the wind noise coming from/through the (improvised) doors in jump aircraft is actually quite damaging especially in the higher frequencies.

I think that this is also the main reason motorcyclists wear ear protection.
Since I now both skydive and drive a motorcycle (not at the same time) I think I will be spending some money on hearing protection soon.

If I'm blatantly wrong, someone please correct me! (Be gentle ;))

Ramon
Rainman

Absolutely. Skydiving qualifies as a loud event. I wear earplugs around power tools, airplanes, firearms, and concerts..........anything that's loud (+85dB). Being what is termed by some an audiophile with a two-channel stereo system worth more than some homes, I want to be able to come home after a great day of jumping and enjoy the details of the system. Moreover, I’d like to be doing that when I’m older. I have my hearing tested every two years, and so far, the audiologist tells me I’m doing the right thing. People are generally not diligent about protecting their hearing, and it's a very easy thing to do.

Sorry, I'm a bit deaf from too many hours in a plane. Would you speak up please?

If everybody knew how to use sign language and say "fuck you" or "you asshole" with your hands, then there would be no need to speak up... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What is Valsalva?

Glad you asked. And I'll steal a write-up from a buddy of mine in Oklahoma City....

The Valsalva maneuver is performed by closing the mouth, pinching the nostrils closed and blowing air through the nose. This will force air up the eustachian tube and into the middle ear. This is not a dangerous procedure and should not be delayed until the pressure in the ears becomes painful, otherwise it may be extremely difficult to open the eustachian tube. Painful ear blocks generally occur when the descent rate is too rapid. To relieve this pain, a level off and ascent to a higher altitude is recommended. This should be followed by a slower descent, if possible. During the second descent, close attention must be given to the prompt use of equalization techniques. Prudent use of antihistamines and/or decongestants may also prove to be very helpful but should be used sparingly due to their compounding effect with hypoxia.*

I wear ear plugs in the plane, but I never thought to leave them in for freefall to hear my audible better - I'll have to try that. B|

As far as not having time to put them in before you get on the plane, as someone mentioned, I always keep a pair in the pocket of my jumpsuit - that way they're always with me!

Also, I don't tend to have too many problems hearing other people in the plane (sometimes it kind of helps - I gues like blocking the wind in freefall to better hear your altimeter), but I talk a LOT louder which is funny (or annoying) to everyone around me. :S

how much damage can the ride to altitde do to our ears? what about on the way down?
i wore them in the tunnel, but i spent more time in there... i'm curious how many wear plugs when they jump.
would earplugs be dangerous in any way since our ears pop? do helmets provide hearing protection? and if so, is that purpose frap hats???

Well, I made my first earplug jump yesterday, I'm definitely jumping with 'em every time now! Sooooo much more relaxing.
cavete terrae.

Always wear your earplugs! Talk to someone who has 10+ years and 3000+ skydives without wearing earplugs. I'm sure they can attest to the cumulative effects the plane noise has on your ears. I wear mine from pre-board to just before jump run.

Total it up:
20 min per ascent
X 3000 skydives
-----------
about 1000 minutes, or about 16 hours of constant noise. Do you really want to subject your only pair of ears to that?

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

when im jumping the skyvan i have to wear earplugs. besides it being obnoxiously funkin loud, the noise fatigues me much faster than the otter. the noise adds mental stress that makes me moody and drains me of energy. i love exiting a skyvan but honestly its not worth the headache anymore. give me an otter any day!
>