heidihagen

do you wear earplugs when you jump?

i never thought about it. but it makes sense youd hear your audible better with earplugs. i should try it cuz often i dont hear my pull tone when tracking due to the air howling in my helmet that doesnt fit snug enough. its set 500 high anyway and ive never needed it to remind me to pull.
good to know thanks
>

I would not wear them in freefall. Not for pressure reasons, but for saftey.

They make it hard to hear, and hearing may save you from a canopy collision.

In the plane would be a good idea, but I'd take them out before I jump.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Always wear your earplugs! Talk to someone who has 10+ years and 3000+ skydives without wearing earplugs. I'm sure they can attest to the cumulative effects the plane noise has on your ears. I wear mine from pre-board to just before jump run.

Total it up:
20 min per ascent
X 3000 skydives
-----------
about 1000 minutes, or about 16 hours of constant noise. Do you really want to subject your only pair of ears to that?

OK, 3500 jumps and 12 years...My hearing is the same as it has been since before I started. Never wore earplugs on the plane.

I get tested every year due to my job and the VA.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ear plugs are a good thing. I dive at the Neutral Buoyancy Labratory at NASA and had a reverse ear block about 8 years ago in my right ear. Extremly painful and caused some hearing loss over time in that ear.

I use a special ear plug that has a very tiny hole through the center to alow pressure equalization. Hearing protection is very important if you plan on being in the sport for many years to come and protect your hearing.

Cheers

I must just have small ears - I forgot one time and was in utter agony the whole way down. It was worse than jumpiing with a cold. I wear them on the way up every time, but never on the way down..
W

My ex-wife has small ear canals. She just cuts down the common foam earplugs a little bit, using a pair of scissors.

I'm still keeping things in the simple-as-possible mode. I'm more comfortable with that. The Otter noise doesn't seem that much to me (nothing like the tunnel) and I don't wear gloves either.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Sorry, I'm a bit deaf from too many hours in a plane. Would you speak up please?

If everybody knew how to use sign language and say "fuck you" or "you asshole" with your hands, then there would be no need to speak up... :D

are you kidding!? i learned how to sign that on the school bus a loooooong time ago!:P

i couldn't use the foam kind either. i'd loose them no matter what. i used silicone plugs for a while and those work GREAT (but don't use them if you have long hair). someone suggested the rubber flange kind, they're easy to put in. i wore them for the first time the other weekend... i guess they just take getting used to
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce