cctpud01

Why are there more C licenses than B???

It used to be that the A was at 20, B was at 50, C was 100 and D was 200. At the rate of active jumping it made little sense to get a license at 50 and then again 50 jumps later for the B and C so people would just do the A and C and pay for the C only but take the B and C tests together.

I've only got a C and a D.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've got a B and I see no reason to get a C. Maybe one day I'll get a D. But right now I don't see the point in it either - for me.

there are a few specialty jumps that require a C/D license and some DZ's have landing areas for C/D license holders (closest to packing area). also in australia there is a new DZ that requires a D license b/c you have to land on the beach.
IHYD

I've got a B and I see no reason to get a C. Maybe one day I'll get a D. But right now I don't see the point in it either - for me.

there are a few specialty jumps that require a C/D license and some DZ's have landing areas for C/D license holders (closest to packing area). also in australia there is a new DZ that requires a D license b/c you have to land on the beach.

Yep!.... Specialty jumps motivated my license advancements. I had an A for a loooong time and had no reason to apply for higher licenses. Then I wanted to do an upcoming high-altitude jump and since I already met all the requirements for a C I took the test and applied. Later I wanted to do some beach jumps and the DZO required a D at that time. I lacked only the night jumps so I did them and got the D. I skipped B altogether.

A few years back, a C license got you everything you needed to jump at boogies or do demo's. There was no such thing as a pro rating. Seems there was a group of years that had very few D's handed out but lots of C's.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

A few years back, a C license got you everything you needed to jump at boogies or do demo's. ...

Or to get a J/M or I.

It wasn't until I wanted to start a DZ that I concerned myself with a license. Matter of fact, I think my C license, J/M and I were all issued at the same time.

When I started jumping in 1960 it was possible to request almost any number desired. I wish I had done that. Having a two digit D would be a real status symbol.

As if 50 years in the sport isn't symbol enough. :P
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

You need a certain license to jump at boogies? Other than the A, I mean.

Here is an upcoming example (next week):

[URL]http://www.skydiveatlas.com/upjumpers.php[/URL]

The LZ is the beach. Landing accuracy matters (C lic). Given the prevailing wind direction, the exit point will likely often be over the gulf of mexico… water landing training required (B lic).

Someone smart once said "Boogies are where good skydivers go to die." Festival atmosphere can be dangerous.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

A few years back, a C license got you everything you needed to jump at boogies or do demo's. There was no such thing as a pro rating. Seems there was a group of years that had very few D's handed out but lots of C's.

Yup...I never got an A or B license and didn't get a D until the PRO came out.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

,i thought you Had to get each one before the next...lol

You have to meet the requirements for all the previous ones to apply for a higher level license, but you don't have to apply for each. I didn't get water training till I had around 150 jumps so I never bothered applying for the B since at that point I was pretty close to the jumps I needed for a C.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Good question.. maybe because some DZ's don't do night jumps. My Dz did them last year but I couldnt make it, now I have to wait 78 jumps for the D, Night jumps ( havent done one yet) scare me and excite me on the same note... not sure if that make sense... this year I will do it!!

Doe's anyone know why there are more C licenses that have been given out than B's?? Is one of the licenses newer than the others??

Used to be there was no A. My A number is lower than my C.

I didn't bother with B, since you couldn't do any more with that (such as demo jumps which required a C) than you could with an A.

I only bothered to get a D when it was required in order to get a permit to jump El Capitan.

It used to be that the A was at 20, B was at 50, C was 100 and D was 200. At the rate of active jumping it made little sense to get a license at 50 and then again 50 jumps later for the B and C so people would just do the A and C and pay for the C only but take the B and C tests together.

I've only got a C and a D.

There was a time when the A license wasn't required anywhere. You still needed at least a C to compete or make demos, so a lot of people waited and just got their C and then later maybe got their D. I only bothered with my D because I needed it for a permit application to jump El Capitan in 1980 (it was legal for exactly one glorious month).

Nowadays of course the A license is like a basic driver's license, demonstrating that you've made 25 jumps without killing yourself or anyone else.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I got a C to travel and get a JM rating, and a D to get AFF rated. There really weren't a lot of reasons to get licenses then if you stayed at the same DZ and were just a fun jumper.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)