jump2live

Free Camping at DZ?????

Hello all,

I was curious if anyone knows of DZ's in the U.S. where they allow free tent camping???

The main kicker is that I have a big dog that will be moving where ever I go. It will have to be ok for me to stake out my dog in/around the tent as I do my AFF-A license jumps...

If you know of any DZ where you think this would be allowed, in the U.S., I would really appreciate your input!!

Thanks for your time!

You'll also have to think about the weather. For instance, I would avoid 100+ degree heat of the summer if you're traveling in summertime. For your dog's sake.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Thanks for the quick responses!

You would think it would be easy to find a place that would allow this. However I live in California and have called several DZs that allow free camping, but all say no dogs, period! That's why I was hoping to find someone who has done it, or has seen someone doing this with their dog that could say, "check out this place"! Someone recommended Start Skydive Ohio to me but they are not getting back to me on the yes or no very quickly. They said it "shouldn't" be a problem, but before I drive across the U.S. I kind of wanted to Know for sure!

Oh, and thanks for the reply.. I definitely wouldn't leave my dog in a tent that was boiling inside! I would hope that would be obvious to any dog owner! If not they shouldn't be allowed to have a dog!! I have a pretty unique set up with home-built air-conditioning for my tent so hot climate is ok!

If you're able to travel to the East, here are a couple that have good camping. I think most DZs have rules about "unattended dogs", but in camping areas, they're usually OK.

http://www.skydivecarolina.com/index.html

http://www.skydivecity.com/

Skydive Pepperell has, I think, free tent camping and we're pretty dog-friendly (and yes, there are "swoop the landmine" incidents..). At any one time, there must be 6-8 4-legged little suckers bombing around the DZ.

I'll be honest: I'm pretty sure about the tent camping, but its not listed on the new website (clearly, an oversite on my part) but you'd do well to call manifest and confirm. There's someone there 0900-1800 everyday.

1-800-SKYJUMP www.skyjump.com
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Thanks for the quick responses!

You would think it would be easy to find a place that would allow this. However I live in California and have called several DZs that allow free camping, but all say no dogs, period! That's why I was hoping to find someone who has done it, or has seen someone doing this with their dog that could say, "check out this place"! Someone recommended Start Skydive Ohio to me but they are not getting back to me on the yes or no very quickly. They said it "shouldn't" be a problem, but before I drive across the U.S. I kind of wanted to Know for sure!

Oh, and thanks for the reply.. I definitely wouldn't leave my dog in a tent that was boiling inside! I would hope that would be obvious to any dog owner! If not they shouldn't be allowed to have a dog!! I have a pretty unique set up with home-built air-conditioning for my tent so hot climate is ok!

skydive new engalnd has alot of dogs around, there is a leash law but you say your happy keeping the dog leashed so thats not an issue

they charge for camping if your a tandem and maybe for fun jumpers but i doubt it and i reckon if you ring and say you want to do aff or up to a licence im sure they wont charge for camping

all the dogs that are here are pretty friendly with the visiting dogs too

but only come if your cool :p

Skydive City in Z-Hills, FL has free camping, nice showers and bathrooms, wireless internet, and a "city hall" which has a microwave, computers, and a big TV to watch. There is also a bar and snack bar.

Raeford Parachute Center in Raeford, NC has everything except the "city hall", but it has an actual restaurant and a real bar with all ABC permits

Both have great instructors

Leave the dog at home.

That's the response you get from someone who's home DZ allows dogs!

That's right folks..... "Bill is a Land Mine Swooper"

if you are willing to travel halfway across the country for skydiving lessons (and have modified your tent - to accommodate the comfort of a piece of property - then maybe it's time to assess how healthy that relationship to the piece of property actually is for you.....:P

On the other hand, if you can only afford to tent, it is handy to have a pile of walking meat along just in case you can't afford pizza

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

would be good advice if I considered my dog simply a piece of property. i have no problem losing my house or car (what i consider property) but he's my dog man! he's more family than property and our "relationship" has been good for me. he has gotten me through some real shitty events in my life so giving him up isn't something i will ever be willing to do.

the modified tent really isn't modified or anything special. I found a way to turn a camping cooler into makeshift air-conditioning with a generator a fan and some ice and a little ducktape. it was more for me while i was living out of my tent in arizona a few years ago.

Thanks to everyone who recommended DZs. I have a lot to check out now, but keep them coming if you know of one that hasn't been mentioned!