Amanduh

Do you pitch in a track?

I watched a coach jump I did the other day on video and and it was brought to my attention that I am not slowing down all the way before I pitch. I obviously did not know I was doing this. Is it unsafe to pitch in a 'semi-fast' track? I am jumping a Sabre 170.

During my first jump year I started getting slammed on openings and realized I was not breaking out of the track and getting big before I pitched. Just waving off doesn't really slow you down much.

It's not a good habit to have.

Blue skies,

Jim

While I do it sometimes, I'm aware of when I'm doing it. You should be too, especialy with a canopy like the Sabre 1.

Sometime I want a brisker opening, or don't want to give up any of the seperation I've gaine on other trackers, like on bigways. Sometimes having a LITTLE foward motion gives me more on heading openings.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I pitched without fully slowing after a track on my first or second solo with a Sabre 190. It hyperextended my back when it popped open. That was *painful* and quite dangerous, I had a sore back for weeks (I still jumped:)
The packers at this DZ always pro packed with rolled noses on the Sabres and these jumps were no exceptions AFAIK.

So, hard openings can hurt you and you increase the risk of one if you don't slow after a track, you're also jumping a Sabre, you do the math.

Note this is *not* Sabre2 I'm talking about.

The only time I've ever pulled in a track was when I was borrowing a well-used Stiletto. This was a big way event and I usually have to track a long way being along the outer edge of the formations. The first jump on that canopy, it snivelled over 1000 feet. The owner said to pull in a half speed track. As you are just coming out of a full track, dump the pc, always mindful of where others are near you. That sped up the openings to a more reasonable 500 - 600 feet.

Besides those few jumps, I've never dumped in a track and don't intend to, unless for the very reason mentioned about.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

do wingsuit jumps count?

Like Diablo said - be aware of it. Sometimes the smack you get on opening is not worth it....but then if you are jumping in a big way you may need to.

One time, due to bad body position, I had the PC bounce off my foot after deploying from a track. Not really a good thing.

it was brought to my attention that I am not slowing down all the way before I pitch. I obviously did not know I was doing this. Is it unsafe to pitch in a 'semi-fast' track?

Use your wave-off to help yourself come out of your track, get big, slow down, and get a bit head-high for deployment.

Uh, well I guess I do it on every jump.

Why? I see no reason spending time to slow down since not a single canopy I've jumped has had any bad reactions to dumping in track. (If not BirdMan jumps count, Stiletto seemed to have brisk openings if openend from full flight).

Hey my Houston friend,

Dumping in a full track has seriously F***ed some people up. It is a good way to get hurt. There is a high potential for a dangerously hard opening. There are a number of factors in the equation including how fast you can track canopy type, etc. Talk to your instructors but it is probity a bad habit to get into to. Honestly, at 61 jumps your track is probably not particularly well developed yet (as a good track takes a lot of practice, I'm just begining to really get it myself) and this kept your speed down. If you were in a full blown high speed track and dumped a Sabre 1 you could have a bad situation.

Personally, I fought the battle of coming out of my track while not backsliding (and losing some of the separation I gained during the track) and pitching. It is an art to get right, not pitch in a track, not backslide and pitch quickly.

So how are your 4 way skills coming? ;)

Ron
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I do NOT recommend opening in a track on a Sabre.
I used to jump a Sabre 1 and although it won't happen all the time they are known for their occasional slammers for what seems like no reason. Just be careful and slow your ass down! ;)

I jump a Cobalt too and I always pitch in a track. It really does like it. The faster the better! But that's a totally different canopy.

I pitched without fully slowing after a track on my first or second solo with a Sabre 190. It hyperextended my back when it popped open. That was *painful* and quite dangerous, I had a sore back for weeks (I still jumped:)
The packers at this DZ always pro packed with rolled noses on the Sabres and these jumps were no exceptions AFAIK.

So, hard openings can hurt you and you increase the risk of one if you don't slow after a track, you're also jumping a Sabre, you do the math.

Note this is *not* Sabre2 I'm talking about.

DITTO!!! I have a Sabre2 190 and same painful experience a few weekends ago. I honestly thought I was paralyzed at first. My back is still killing meB|.

Ive heard it is a good idea to stop your track for 2-3 secs before pitching? and if you need to keep your legs extended to keep the slight forward movement to keep from back sliding. Is that a good practice.

Oh...freakflyer9999...where did you get that image. Like it but I wouldnt use it here. I have other plans for that.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Many people do much more of a 'dive' than a 'track'.

A good track will hardly increase your vertical speed at all, and will get you moving very fast horizontally.

So, if you do it well, it won't matter if you dump right out of your track.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Wowa. Thanks everyone. I honestly did not know I was doing it. Ron, honestly....most people would say my track is above my current experience level after seeing the video. One even said "are you moving too" to the other person on the jump, and they looked at each other and he replied "no, she's hauling ass". No wonder I've been getting wacked so much! THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH! :)

It is unsafe to have hard openings for whatever reason, whether it's sloppy packing, not slowing down before deploying or whatever.

I know of several people who have had dislocations/fractures from hard openings. I know of one person who is a quadraplegic from a probable hard opening (he doesn't quite remember, it was a night jump).

I've put a pocket slider on my Sabre 150 after the occasional hard opening (one brusied rib) none of which were from deploying in a track.

Be careful.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

My two cents. hard opening can happen, whether tracking or not. A friend broke several ribs in an explosive opening once, pitching out while flat and stable. My hardest opening have been from flat and stable openings.

I think people overrate how quickly they slow down when they come out of a track. Anyone who swoops RW knows how much you coast after coming out of the track. A few seconds of relaxing does not slow you down as much as you may think. And we're talking about the bottom end of the skydive, when the ground is getting really big. There's not always a lot of time for de-arching, backsliding, etc.

In a good track, your rate of descent actually decreases as you generate lift with your body, even if your airspeed increases some. In a weak track, you dive towards the ground, increasing both. When you open, your body swings from whatever attitude to vertical. If you're head down, your body, spine included, whips 180 degrees during opening, and can really screw you up. If you track flat, wave, pitch, and sit up the opening swing is much less and easier to take.

My 2 cents.

i started out doing the same thing, after a shitload of really hard openings and one exceptionaly hard opening that broke 3 lines , i made sure that i slowed as much as safely possible.

peace,
brent

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

The majority of my jumps are track jumps in my RW suit. I regurlarly pitch in a full track. My horizontal ground speed has been logged as high as 180mph by GPS. I assume horizontal airspeed to be well over 100 mph. My slowest verticle speed has been 78 mph I ususally average around 89. When I pitch, I bring both hands to my side with body and legs still extended, then bring them back out to about 30 deg and release the pilot chute.
(I said all that just to let you know that when I pitch in a track... I am pitching in a FULL TRACK)

I have a older sabre1 170 with a slider mod and a brand new Pilot 150. I chose the pilot specifically because it opened just like my sabre.

I have not experienced any hard openings due to pitching in a track. The only difference is, the openings snivel longer and I start my snivel looking at the sky--not the horizon.

Due... your GPS is broken. Even the big wingsuits (S3, PF, etc) are'nt getting into the 100 range that often according to some of the most tech savy people in Wingsuiting. A normal Wingsuit flight is many times faster then even the best tracker is, I've tried to do big carving circles with tracking groups and I can still catch back up to them really easy in my Wingsuit even after flying away from them for a bit.

Opening in a track can lead to a faster deployment if the canopy opens weird at all. Been there. done that on Cobalt's, Sam's, Stilettos, Spectres, Jedei's, Hornets and a few more canopies too. Some opened harder, some opened normally.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com