format

How was he saved

That is badass!
The situation is called a jumper (or student) in tow. We had to train for the civilian version of this when I got my SL JM. In this situation it looks like they rigged another canopy to the static line before the cut it, and hopefully saved that guys life. Didn't look like he was capable of saving his own life.

I am sure there are some military JM's who can shed more light on this in here.

Cool save!

We used to train our students to put their right hand on the reserve handle and their left on their helmet if they were ready to be cut loose from the a/c. If they were unconscious you were to slide down the s/l on a carabiner to assist in pulling their reserve once the pilot cut you both free of the a/c.

We joked that if you were aware you put one hand on your helmet and if unconscious you were to put both hands on your helmet. Thank heavens I never had a stoont in tow!!!

jon

It appears the static line was mis-routed and this guy was screwed from the point that was missed on gear check. I don't know how the military handles it, or what country that was, but it was a good bit of heads-up work to attach a parachute to the static line.

Had the static line just been cut, the guy probably would have bounced as the main suspension lines were wrapped around the reserve container.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The system has a name, but I don't remember it.

HUPRA: Hooked Up Parachutists Release Assembly.

oh wow, cool. thats a much better name that i wold have given it. i would have called it the oh shit chute. lol. glad they have a backup plan for those kinda things. really cool videos. hope they made it out ok
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I think the time it took for the Load master to hook up an additional parachute to the S/L (that is suposed to come off the main/jumper) adds to much risk to the aircraft and load masters. The main could have deployed at any time and the S/L would have torn out the structure of the aircraft (more than likely injuring the load master on its way out) It appears that the S/L wrapped around the container before or on exit causing the jumper in tow, one hand on the helmet would have been enough for me to cut him away. He would have got his first free fall wings.

In Reply To
http://www.youtube.com/...pvfhH7zACjY&NR=1

A strange save, how did they do it?
(I hope he is ok)

They keep special parachute systems on-board just for that purpose. They connect it in some manner to the static line before releasing it. The system has a name, but I don't remember it.

So they hooked a parachute to the static line and disconnected the line from the plane. Am I the only one who thinks that's a risky way of solving the problem?

The static line isn't attached to anything solid on his rig. If he had unravelled the mess at 200ft, he would have fallen away from the static line and died. If conscious, you'd want to clip something to that static line while under canopy.

Why didn't they just drag him back into the plane?

So they hooked a parachute to the static line and disconnected the line from the plane. Am I the only one who thinks that's a risky way of solving the problem? The static line isn't attached to anything solid on his rig. If he had unravelled the mess at 200ft, he would have fallen away from the static line and died.

Our soldiers put themselves in a lot of risky situations on our behalf. I'm just glad someone thought up that system.

I think that when the Jumpmaster decides to use it that they try to determine just how securely entangled the jumper is. And I don't even know what the state of the jumper's consciousness or unconsciousness has to do with that decision.

I'm thinking that they evaluated the risks to that option and decided they were greater. If one of the parachutes inflated just as they got him back up to the door, it could maybe entangle with the tail.

Scary stuff. Makes skydiving look tame sometimes.

So they hooked a parachute to the static line and disconnected the line from the plane. Am I the only one who thinks that's a risky way of solving the problem?

I don't know the military and haven't watched the vid in a while, but I thought the idea was to get him off the plane. Then hanging under the round, the jumper would deploy his reserve. While there's still some danger if the static line releases at 100', he won't freefall into the ground.

"Dude, I can't land with you on the plane like that." - Truman Sparks (from memory)

I have seen a system for static line that consisted of a small capewell riser with d-rings connected in the plane via a shot and a half release. The static line would connect to one of the d-rings and if the jumper was hung up, the jumpmaster could connect a reserve to the other d-ring and then release the whole system from the plane. It was quite a slick little setup and was invented by the person around the late 60's to early 70's. The setup in the video is a little different, the idea has been used and around for some time. Very cool to see it used in action.

So they hooked a parachute to the static line and disconnected the line from the plane. Am I the only one who thinks that's a risky way of solving the problem? The static line isn't attached to anything solid on his rig. If he had unravelled the mess at 200ft, he would have fallen away from the static line and died.

Our soldiers put themselves in a lot of risky situations on our behalf. I'm just glad someone thought up that system.

I think that when the Jumpmaster decides to use it that they try to determine just how securely entangled the jumper is. And I don't even know what the state of the jumper's consciousness or unconsciousness has to do with that decision.

I'm thinking that they evaluated the risks to that option and decided they were greater. If one of the parachutes inflated just as they got him back up to the door, it could maybe entangle with the tail.

Scary stuff. Makes skydiving look tame sometimes.

AFAIK the US military doesn't use one of these systems. If you're knocked out, they will attempt to pull you back into the plane, if you're awake, you just keep your nice tight body position (that you were holding since you exited, right?) and as soon as you feel yourself drop (they cut your static line), you activate your reserve.

Both ways sound sketchy, but Im sure it beats landing with the plane.B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I believe there are winch systems that can do that, but it's practically impossible to do it by muscle alone. I know of one guy who drug a jumper back into a Huey, but much less slipstream drag on a helo.

There is a thing called the “Canadian retrieval system” I saw at YPG when we doing some testing on the ATPS. They would put about 60 jumpers out each side of a C-141 and then this system would pull all the “D” bags back in. Worked great.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

FYI this was over Skydive Weston in the UK sometime last year I think. It was weird watching the Herc circle with someone hanging out the back!

I thought I recognized it..... you couldn't see what a mess it was from the ground! :S

Always wondered how they got him down...
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

FYI this was over Skydive Weston in the UK sometime last year I think. It was weird watching the Herc circle with someone hanging out the back!

I thought I recognized it..... you couldn't see what a mess it was from the ground! :S

Always wondered how they got him down...

Gravity.:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message