teason

Scam emails targeting dzos

There is a scam email out there that goes like this;

Compliments of the day, i want to booking classes for 5 people who will be coming over to take sky dive training in your facility, also we need an instructor or tutor who can teach them effectively because  they are all learners (first dive) and all medically certified , what is the total cost for the 5 persons,Let me know if you have availability for this dates,accommodation or apartment to hire July 19th July 2010 to 8th August 2010 for 3 weeks the group will be taking sky dive classes.Please i will be grateful to hear from you soonest. I am writing from London United Kingdom.
Jim Black
Warden Hexham,
Northumberland,
England,
United Kingdom
+447011132812

The poor grammar is the first give away. I googled the phone number which detailed their scam.

Just a heads up
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Going out to instructors as well. I got one Friday night.

I was surprised when I got it, it was the first scam email I'd ever gotten that targeted me specifically. It's more impressive than the standard Nigerian 419.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Got a friend, fixed base operator, got the same email, except for flight training. Screwed with them all the way till they sent the bogus check. At least he had some fun and cost them the overnighting fee for sending the check.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

So how are they going to scam you?

The standard scam is that once you talk to them, they will send a check of money order for a grossly excessive amount to pay for the services. Then they'll ask for you to refund the difference.

Because international checks and money orders take weeks to fully process, by the time the bank figures out the original check was bogus, you've already mailed the refund. The bank sees the bounced check, reverses the funds they credited you, and you're hosed.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Here's another name they are operating under.

Compliments of the day,i am Mr Jea Barney and i am writing in respect of booking classes for 7 people who will be coming over to take sky dive training in your facility, also we need an instructor or tutor who can teach them effectively because they are all learners and all medically certified , i will be glad if you can get back to me the total cost,if you have availability for this dates,accommodation and also if you have apartment to hire July 19th to 8th August 2010 for 3 weeks the group will be taking sky dive classes.Please i will be grateful to hear from you soonest. I am writing from London United Kingdom.
Jea Barney
+447011132987
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

The standard scam is that once you talk to them, they will send a check of money order for a grossly excessive amount to pay for the services. Then they'll ask for you to refund the difference.

Because international checks and money orders take weeks to fully process, by the time the bank figures out the original check was bogus, you've already mailed the refund. The bank sees the bounced check, reverses the funds they credited you, and you're hosed.

Yep. Or via credit cards. From the web hit from Googling the phone number:

http://www.eastbournehouse.co.uk/Scam%20Bookings.htm

This page is dedicated to scam emails. Particularly attempted false accommodation reservations.

The idea behind these scams is usually to get the hotel to accept upfront payment by credit card after which the booking will be cancelled and a refund demanded. The hotel will then find that, having made a refund, the payment was fraudulent and is the subject of a charge back by the card issuing bank.

Common clues that these mails are a scam are:

* Poor spelling and grammar.
* Writer is often a 'Doctor' or 'Reverend' or 'Travel Agent'.
* A general greeting line such as 'Hello dear' or 'Hello Sir, Madam'.
* Reservation is for a group of 'delegates' or 'students' or 'honeymoon couples'.
* Originating mail is more often than not a Yahoo or other free email address even when the writer claims to represent a company.
* Mail is addressed to 'undisclosed recipients' or some other address than your own.
* Bookings are for long periods for several people.

_Am
Had a friend that got one of those on some gear he had for sale. We let them send the check then e-mailed pictures of a DZ party and told them we spent their money on the party and told them to fuck off.:D:D:D

Not as elaborate as the hundreds of Chinese students want to train in America, send $10,000 to do business in China scam, but nice scam all the same..:P

Why can't they find someone that spells a bit better??? It looks like a DZ.commer wrote that e-mail!:ph34r:

I just got another spam/scam email to my Nashvilleskydiving.org email that is obviously another scam attempt. the second section is the info from my hit counter that shows that they are in Germany.

Hello,
My name is frank.Desmond I want to know if there is any availability for students that will be coming to your place for Sky diving course , they are all beginners and their first time diving. If there is availability , kindly let me know about the dates,quotes and accommodation availability as well.They are looking forward to arrival by 3nd week of August 2010, date is not fixed yet until tickets are booked. They have 4 weeks to stay for the Sky diving courser Course and certification.

Regards,

(Hit counter info)

Entry Page: http://nashvilleskydiving.org
Exit Page: http://www.skydiveal.com/
Referrer: No referring link
Host Name: gkpc9.informatik.uni-leipzig.de
IP Address: 139.18.2.209 [Label IP Address]
Region: Sachsen
City: Leipzig
ISP: University Of Leipzig
Returning Visits: 1
Visit Length: 20 seconds
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Not sent just to DZ's. I think any email address they find on a web page about skydiving.

I received a similar email, and decided to have some fun with them. After the first email I told them to call me.

First email:

[email protected], My name is frank.Desmond I want to know if there is any availability for students that will be coming to your place for Sky diving course , they are all beginners and their first time diving. If there is availability , kindly let me know about the dates,quotes and accommodation availability as well.They are looking forward to arrival by 3nd week of August 2010, date is not fixed yet until tickets are booked. They have 4 weeks to stay for the Sky diving courser Course and certification.

Second email:

Hello,
thanks, for the response.The student will be interested in Accelerated freefal,Tandem skydives,Welsh skydivers,Static Line,Tandem,Night jumps,Swoop and chug the beer.However the boys are not only beginners and are willing to learn, and that is why we are looking for a suitable teacher who is also willing to give what he/she has to these 8 young men.

Also i will inform you that we would be coming from the UK, The group is kind of new and we are training these once so that we can have a good foundation for the group,.There age rang is from 19 to 23
We are asking for 2 hours per day for 4weeks - Monday - Saturday. We would appreciate it if you could make us a time table.

Payment Type: Credit Card Only I hope you have a credit card charging machine POS. Please get back to me with the comprehensive cost for the training session so we can proceed with the required.

This is a credit card scam. If you want say, $1000 as a deposit, they will ask you to charge their (stolen) card say, $5000 and send $4000 to then to cover their travel/accommodation/other expenses. When the fraudulent use of the card surfaces, it's the DZ that is liable for the scam as they have participated in it.

They've tried it at several UK DZs.

Just wanted to bump this up again.
I got the earlier email too.

Today I also got ANOTHER request that went like this:

Hello,
thanks, for the response.The student will be interested in Accelerated freefal,Tandem jumping,Welsh skydivers,Static Line,Tandem,Night jumps,Swoop and chug the beer.However the boys are not only beginners and are willing to learn, and that is why we are looking for a suitable teacher who is also willing to give what he/she has to these 8young men.

Also i will inform you that we would be coming from the UK, The group is kind of new and we are training these once so that we can have a good foundation for the group,.There age rang is from 19 to 23
We are asking for 2 hours per day for 4weeks - Monday - Saturday.

We would appreciate it if you could make us a time table

Payment Type: Credit Card Only I hope you have a credit card charging machine POS

Please get back to me with the comprehensive cost for the training session so we can proceed with the required.

Regards,

--- Στις Παρ., 20/08/10, ο/η Jan Meyer έγραψε:

Από: Jan Meyer
Θέμα: Re: inquiry
Προς: [email protected]
Ημερομηνία: Παρασκευή, 20 Αύγουστος 2010, 14:23

What city and state are you traveling to?

frank.Desmond wrote:
> > Hello,
> > My name is frank.Desmond I want to know if there is any availability for students that will be coming to your place for Sky diving course , they are all beginners and their first time diving. If there is availability , kindly let me know about the dates,quotes and accommodation availability as well.They are looking forward to arrival by 3nd week of September 2010, date is not fixed yet until tickets are booked. They have 4 weeks to stay for the Sky diving Course and certification.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >

IP addys in the headers show:

41.138.171.12 Lagos Nigeria
87.248.110.206 routed thru London UK
217.146.182.178 yahoo London
87.248.110.137 yahoo london

These reply headers

Από: Jan Meyer
Θέμα: Re: inquiry
Προς: [email protected]
Ημερομηνία: Παρασκευή, 20 Αύγουστος 2010, 14:23

are Greek letters.

But this request and reply are so obviously bad, no one would fall for it, would they???

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hello,
thanks, for the response.The student will be interested in Accelerated freefal,Tandem jumping,Welsh skydivers,Static Line,Tandem,Night jumps,Swoop and chug the beer.However the boys are not only beginners and are willing to learn, and that is why we are looking for a suitable teacher who is also willing to give what he/she has to these 8young men.

I'm currently on Category F of my training. Which Category will my instructors teach me Swoop and Chug techniques? That must be a coach jump. ;)

I'm currently on Category F of my training. Which Category will my instructors teach me Swoop and Chug techniques?

I will offer lessons in this at any time in the progression, upon request. ;) However, CASH-ONLY, paid in advance required. :P
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

CASH-ONLY, paid in advance required.

Great. I can send you chek for $5000; you can refund balance minus service fee of $150 via Western Union. Is not cash, but service fee is good.:D

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)