skylawgirl84

Cessna 182 Fear

As someone who was recently on student status the best I can tell you is that the fear is normal and at some point you will find yourself missing it a bit.

It's not normal.

Not normal to be scared on the first few jumps?
OK, Captain Fearless.
Well, I never claimed to be normal. You must be right. :D
But what do I know?

i kinda remember the same words, sort of the same characters, but this time it was called "proof". is this really fandango!?

what's "proof" then!?

proof was even funnier and more freaky tough.. B|

Proof was Kevin Reynolds' short film from his days at USC. Filmed partly at vpjr's dad's DZ (Cal City).

Fandango was the film made when, uh, I think Bob Zemeckis, saw Proof and offered Reynolds the opportunity to do a feature. He basically embedded Proof into the middle of Fandango as a scene, and that scene is more or less a shot-for-shot remake of the original, but done in a much more polished feature film way. With "name" actors (well, Kevin Costner wasn't much of a name yet, but Judd Nelson was) and of course, "Truman Sparks".

I own Fandango. For my money, I'd rather watch the version from Fandango, cuz its far more well put together.

;)

Back to your regularly scheduled fear of the dastardly Cessna 182. (of which I have a couple hundred jumps out of.. including my static line..)
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

As someone who was recently on student status the best I can tell you is that the fear is normal and at some point you will find yourself missing it a bit.

It's not normal.

Not normal to be scared on the first few jumps?
OK, Captain Fearless.
Well, I never claimed to be normal. You must be right. :D

I must not be normal either. (For me, being at the door was scary, but that progessive creep towards the door as the back gradually emptied was worse. It all changed by level 6; anticipation of fun grew and nervousness diminished. Now I'm like: "Hurry up back there! I wanna go!")

Any tips or suggestions for fear of the 182?!

Yeah, get over it. Let's face it, you're intending to jump out of the thing, freefall for 5000', then deploy a clever little fabric wing out of your backpack and land safely on the ground, and you're afraid for the climbout on a 182?

Come on, there are much bigger things to be afraid of if you're going to be afraid of anything. Just get in, wait 30 min, and get out. Yes, it's windy out there, so buck-up and plant your foot on the step like you mean it. Grab on to the strut and muscle yourself into position, give the count, and make a skydive.

There's no way around it. If you want to jump, you need to take that first step and leave the aircraft, plain and simple. Literally millions of jumps have been made from 182s, the climbout is possible, and not that hard once you 'just do it'. So before Nike sues me for copyright infringement, 'just do it'.

I mean that literally by the way. Make a point to get back to the Cessna DZ and succeed. Don't hide at the turbine DZ and become a licensed jumper who is secretly afraid of 182s because that would be super lame.

Any tips or suggestions for fear of the 182?!

Yeah, get over it. Let's face it, you're intending to jump out of the thing, freefall for 5000', then deploy a clever little fabric wing out of your backpack and land safely on the ground, and you're afraid for the climbout on a 182?

Come on, there are much bigger things to be afraid of if you're going to be afraid of anything. Just get in, wait 30 min, and get out. Yes, it's windy out there, so buck-up and plant your foot on the step like you mean it. Grab on to the strut and muscle yourself into position, give the count, and make a skydive.

There's no way around it. If you want to jump, you need to take that first step and leave the aircraft, plain and simple. Literally millions of jumps have been made from 182s, the climbout is possible, and not that hard once you 'just do it'. So before Nike sues me for copyright infringement, 'just do it'.

I mean that literally by the way. Make a point to get back to the Cessna DZ and succeed. Don't hide at the turbine DZ and become a licensed jumper who is secretly afraid of 182s because that would be super lame.

All that and... my general advice for people who are afraid of exit is to remember what the whole point is... to go skydiving. No reason to be afraid of leaving the plane, that's when the fun starts. It doesn't matter what kind of plane it is, what's the worst that's gonna happen? You tumble? Well, arch and get stable. Fall off? Isn't that the point?

When you think about being afraid, think instead about the relieving feeling of freefall or being back on the ground or whatever it is that you get your kicks from in this sport.

Have fun!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

It doesn't matter what kind of plane it is, what's the worst that's gonna happen? You tumble? Well, arch and get stable. Fall off? Isn't that the point?

Generally quite true and useful for students to understand. I'll expand on that to add some "fine print":

Nevertheless, one does want to know how to properly get out of the airplane, whether it is a C-182 or Caravan. Improper exits can lead to bruises, getting skinned, losing teeth, breaking bones. So there are a few things to be learned about making sure one gets clear of the airplane instead of smacking into it on the way out.

Davelepka,

I just chuckled to myself when I read your post. :) I like your advice of "plant your foot on the step like you mean it." I was timidly swinging my foot around trying to get it on there and it made it even worse.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether it's easier to climb out while facing the front of the plane on your knees, or from a sitting position facing the back of the plane? I was unsuccessful with the sitting position and on the go-around changed to my knees and it worked (somewhat) better. Thanks!

It doesn't matter what kind of plane it is, what's the worst that's gonna happen? You tumble? Well, arch and get stable. Fall off? Isn't that the point?

Generally quite true and useful for students to understand. I'll expand on that to add some "fine print":

Nevertheless, one does want to know how to properly get out of the airplane, whether it is a C-182 or Caravan. Improper exits can lead to bruises, getting skinned, losing teeth, breaking bones. So there are a few things to be learned about making sure one gets clear of the airplane instead of smacking into it on the way out.

Yeah very true - though outside of the point I was trying to make. Anyways thanks for the "fine print."

:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Anything new can be scary. It is normal.

The only way over the fear is repetition till the new becomes normal. OR just suck it up and enjoy it. Climbing on the outside of a plane is a pretty cool thing.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Davelepka,

I just chuckled to myself when I read your post. :) I like your advice of "plant your foot on the step like you mean it." I was timidly swinging my foot around trying to get it on there and it made it even worse.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether it's easier to climb out while facing the front of the plane on your knees, or from a sitting position facing the back of the plane? I was unsuccessful with the sitting position and on the go-around changed to my knees and it worked (somewhat) better. Thanks!

I found the knees easier too.

As for prop-blast.. after a while you barely notice it anymore, and then you wonder "what did I get so hung up about before?"!!
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Sitting back to console:
Let hand on the fwd door frame, right hand on the floor. Left leg out the door onto the step.

Now push up using your right arm so your butt comes off of the floor and turn your hips counter-clockwise while pushing the hips out the door using your right leg as leverage. The left arm on the door is what your pivot around.

The right leg goes over the left and outboard on the step as your right arm grabs the strut. Stay forward with knees bent and your but over your heels. There really is not much pressure on your hands if you have a foot on the strut.

Dirt dive the movements on the ground and then visualize yourself going thru all the movements on the way up; soon it will be natural.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Okay, here's how its done: SLIDE your feet down onto the gear and firmly PLANT them. . . then GRAB the strut with your left hand and pull yourself out to GRAB the strut with your right hand. Once your out of the plane, slide up the strut and dangle your feet so the other people your jumping with can climb out as well (or you can just dive out if you want). Its whatever floats your boat. & remember to look back at the other jumpers for the exit count while your out there dangling Ms. Hicks.

edit: pretty much what buff said

My second jump was from the 182. Since I received an excellent briefing and practiced on the ground, I was able to anticipate the wind and the importance of good foot placement on the step.

As I climbed out I was imagining how it would be to be a wing-walker.

Hanging on the strut was fun -- kind of relaxing -- I could have flown around like that for a while.

The jump was easy because I was already in position -- just let go of the strut, stay arched, and start the count.

Sitting back to console:
Let hand on the fwd door frame, right hand on the floor. Left leg out the door onto the step.

Now push up using your right arm so your butt comes off of the floor and turn your hips counter-clockwise while pushing the hips out the door using your right leg as leverage. The left arm on the door is what your pivot around.

The right leg goes over the left and outboard on the step as your right arm grabs the strut. Stay forward with knees bent and your but over your heels. There really is not much pressure on your hands if you have a foot on the strut.

Dirt dive the movements on the ground and then visualize yourself going thru all the movements on the way up; soon it will be natural.

Jump pilots always love it when you right hand goes to the floor, so you can help yourself to push and turn to get out of the door.....because this usually ends up slightly turning the fuel selector between Left Tank and BOTH, and shutting off fuel to the engine.

BS
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

I've been at our DZ full time for 4 years and have never seen anybody move the fuel selector switch when pushing up off the floor of our 182. Never seen it at any of the 3 Cessna DZs here in the state either.

Not saying that it can't happen but that is being aware of your position in the AC also. Sort of the same thing as protecting your handles too.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

When you jump out of the 182, you are just sitting there & bang, the door opens & you get a lot of wind in your face. You have lots of time to stare down at the ground & think as the JM checks/adjusts the spot & waits for the exit point. In the Otter, you are busy, watching others go out, getting last minute instructions from your JM, walking to the door, watching the JM check the spot and concentrating on getting set up in the door, none of which requires you to look down. I other words, you have other things to concentrate on. Don't worry, I and most others have been there & we got over it. Some quicker than others. That's just my take on it. Good luck.

i did my first aff out of the caravan and then the second i did out of the cessna, i actually preferred the cessna because i was already in the relative wind when i let go and it felt smoother haha but the ride up in the cramped plane felt kinda nerve racking at first

and here i was thinking i was the ONLY person in the world who hates the skyvan. yeah its big and you can stand up, but the whole lack of a relative wind thing just gets me. never jumped a 182 but ill take a PAC or an otter over the flying box any day.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

To put your anxiety in perspective- It will be tough to have a worse exit than this- Once upon a time, when climbing out, (C170) pilot had not set wheel brake. My step on it prompted it spinning and me hanging by one hand from strut. That didn't last long, I blew off, hanging up harness briefly on step, ended up dangling under plane by one hand again. Looking up at the rest of the load giggling at me, said to self "I came out here to let go, see ya!" and dropped- They all flew down but were laughing so hard they could barely fly. Logbook entries were 'interesting'... You can do it girl! Have fun!

i did my first aff out of the caravan and then the second i did out of the cessna, i actually preferred the cessna because i was already in the relative wind when i let go and it felt smoother haha but the ride up in the cramped plane felt kinda nerve racking at first

and here i was thinking i was the ONLY person in the world who hates the skyvan. yeah its big and you can stand up, but the whole lack of a relative wind thing just gets me. never jumped a 182 but ill take a PAC or an otter over the flying box any day.

You just need to get out there and JUMP!

On the way to altitude visualise the dive flow and focus on the positive things that you do enjoy. At your dz planes are well maintained and if anything goes wrong you have a critical care paramedic permanently on hand:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

and here i was thinking i was the ONLY person in the world who hates the skyvan

A Skyvan is easy too. Face the front of the plane and take a big step backward and you'll be right into the relative wind.

well when you exit a 182, otter or pac, you can either do a floating or diving exit, depending on what youre in, but both ways you can feel the wind before you actually jump. in the skyvan, you feel nothing. just wierds me out, thats all, lol.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.