Bluey10

Financial Viability

Hi all,

I'm sure you get this question all the time, but having done a fair bit of research can't quite get what I'm after, so please bear with! I've done two tandem jumps now and am hoping to start on AFF next month. Obviously skydiving is expensive, but just how expensive is it on an on-going basis/for a new jumper? I keep hearing that once you've got your own kit etc, jump tickets will drop to around £20 each, but just how many jumps must you realistically do per month/year to stay relevant/continue to improve? Again,with training. Having done little else but research getting into the sport since my first tandem, I've come across several sources claiming that simple solo belly-to-earth flying becomes 'boring' after the adrenaline etc is removed to an extent and you've got 10-20 jumps under your belt, meaning that expensive freefly training or formation training is realistically an early cost in any skydiving career. Is this simply skydive forum trolling or a genuine 'problem'?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

... I've come across several sources claiming that simple solo belly-to-earth flying becomes 'boring' after the adrenaline etc is removed to an extent and you've got 10-20 jumps under your belt, meaning that expensive freefly training or formation training is realistically an early cost in any skydiving career. Is this simply skydive forum trolling or a genuine 'problem'?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Solos may get a little repetitive (I don't find them boring, just unproductive), but it doesn't cost any extra to find a friend to jump with.

You don't need "expensive freefly or formation training" to jump with one or two other people. That's basic stuff you should be able to do as a licensed jumper.

Lots of DZs offer load organizing for all levels of experience. I've been to a few different places and have yet to have a problem finding a couple people willing to make at least a couple jumps with me.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I started in 2008, I've got about ~550 jumps, SL instructor rating, TI rating, I travel to foreign countries to jump at least once a year. Including everything (jumps, ratings, gear, trips, etc) I've spent something like 20-22k eur (~28-30 usd) in skydiving.

If I didn't skydive I'd probably had spent that money on something completely useless and stupid like buying a car.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

You don't need "expensive freefly or formation training" as soon as you get your license. At that point on the learning curve, what would serve you best is to get some "reasonably priced" coaching in a wind tunnel to learn solid basics. Two or three 15 minute sessions with a coach go a really long way. Then you can just jump with organizers or decide with some friends to meet up on a regular basis and jump with those same people a bunch. That will keep you learning things, having fun, and not hemorrhaging money too badly for a while.

In terms of a minimum amount of jumps you have to make to continuously improve... it depends on a number of things, but for the sake of argument I'll say about 15-20 jumps per month.

Having done little else but research getting into the sport since my first tandem, I've come across several sources claiming that simple solo belly-to-earth flying becomes 'boring' after the adrenaline etc is removed to an extent and you've got 10-20 jumps under your belt, meaning that expensive freefly training or formation training is realistically an early cost in any skydiving career. Is this simply skydive forum trolling or a genuine 'problem'?

It's not trolling, it's absolutely true, but I'd hardly call it a problem! The more you learn, the more fun you can have.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Rather surprisingly the UK does not have a minimum currency requirement, but I would do a minimum of 2 jumps a month.

Obviously the more you jump the safer and better you will get.

I don't agree with the people who say that if you need to ask you can't afford it. You may never get good but will probably still have fun. I spent 4 years jumping as a poor student and struggled to progress but had a huge amount of fun.

Don't get into debt for jumping though. You can build up your jump numbers slowly, hang out at the dz and when you have more disposable income spend as much as you jumping.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I've come across several sources claiming that simple solo belly-to-earth flying becomes 'boring' after the adrenaline etc is removed

They are feeding you total BS. That's like saying you have to get a 1000HP racing machine if you want to continue having fun riding bikes.

....expensive freefly training or formation training is realistically an early cost in any skydiving career. Is this simply skydive forum trolling or a genuine 'problem'?

Not true at all. Nobody says you have to do or pay for anything. Nobody is going to tell you you can't jump unless you pay for advanced training of any sort. Not even "realistically".

The big cost is initial training and buying your own kit. After that, there's no requirement for anything other than what BPA requires for license/certifications.

You'll want to get information on just what BPA requires before you blindly accept bogus info from others.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Skydiving isn't cheap, but it's not excruciatingly expensive either. Rough prices:
BPA membership £120 per year
Jump tickets £20
Kit hire £10-15
A complete rig £800 for a cheap SH kit £5500+ for brand new top of the range gear
Reserve repack (done every 6 months whether you've used it or not) £35
Altimeter £100
Jumpsuit £250
Helmet £100
Then there's goggles, gloves, log books, beer fines etc which add a little.

There are no rules per se on currency in the UK for licensed skydivers, but you need to satisfy your CCI that you are safe and jumping within your skill level. If you leave it too long in between jumps, you may have to do some retraining (often free) or check out dives at your CCIs discretion. I reckon about 10 jumps a month will keep you current and give you room to progress. I wouldn't do much less than that, at least in your first year if you can help it but that's just my opinion. I think it's important to get some solid skills built quickly just from a safety point of view.

There are people who want to get formation training quickly (many people do) but some are happy to do solo lobs for a couple of hundred jumps before they think about FS training. By the time you've got 30-50 jumps, you should probably consider it. Leaving it too long can reinforce bad habits which get harder to break. In the UK, you need to be formally trained and qualify to get an FS1 endorsement before you can jump with anyone other than coaches and instructors. There is usually no coaching fee for FS training but you will probably have to pay for your coaches jump ticket as well as your own. You'll need to have done some FS work before you can progress onto free flying.

Not true at all. Nobody says you have to do or pay for anything. Nobody is going to tell you you can't jump unless you pay for advanced training of any sort. Not even "realistically".

Except realistically it is true and realistically he will have to.

The person that will be happy just doing flat solos is a very, very, very rare person indeed (I think I've met 1). And, in the BPA, if you want to move on to regularly jumping FS (let alone FF) with other people you have to get a sticker in your licence to say you can, and realistically you need coaching to get that sticker. How much it will cost can vary from DZ to DZ, and some have very reasonable set ups, but it will cost something.

You'll want to get information on just what BPA requires before you blindly accept bogus info from others.

Or before you blindly give it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hi Blue

I'm a retired jumper but IMO you need to make a minimum of 100 jumps/yr to stay half way current.

Add in some $ for gas, maintenance on your gear etc. Thats a minimum don't want to pack your own kit no problem +$ /jump. Wanna coach + more$. Want some tunnel time to get better faster more $$.

If you got boobs you'll get lots of coaching, instuctions for free. But it will cost you.;)

Last but not least get good health insurance, and either have lots of sick leave or a insurance policy where you can still have a income when you get hurt.:)
R.I.P.

One Jump Wonder

One again, young jakee pipes in without understanding what she's read.
*whoosh*
You never were good at reading comprehension, were you.

"Nobody says you have to do or pay for anything. Nobody is going to tell you you can't jump unless you pay for advanced training of any sort. Not even "realistically."

How stupidly obvious, jakee, that if one wants to pay for advanced training, one can certainly find someone to take the money for it. But thanks for playing anyway.

If you got boobs you'll get lots of coaching, instuctions for free. But it will cost you.;)

:D:D:D
I didn't think of that. Hmmmmmm, it might be worth investing in some store-bought boobs up front. In the long run, it may be cheaper than paying for the advanced training.

I didn't think of that. Hmmmmmm, it might be worth investing in some store-bought boobs up front. In the long run, it may be cheaper than paying for the advanced training.

Hi Pops

I'm sure you remember the T-shirt

Just because I slept with you last night doesn't mean I have to jump with you today

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

Jakee isn't it true that you can do a 2 way without the FS1 sticker?

My understanding is that in the UK on a 4 way you can have a maximum of 1 non FS1 jumper? I haven't jumped in the UK so while this may be theoretically true in practice you might not be able to.

It is interesting seeing peoples input on what is required for "minimum" currency. It appears that a couple of people think 10 jumps/month or 100 per year just to stay current. 10 jumps/month = £250+ which is a sizable chunk of cash that not many people will have spare regularly. The weather here isn't conducive to year round jumping for "fun" and I am pretty sure the 14MPh student wind limit must take out many weekends. I know a brit jumper who does 5 or 6 jumps a year (currently has 50+ jumps) and he is NOT required to do any form of re-currency training as the DZ knows him - I am certainly not recommending that approach.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I didn't spend 1p getting any of my post A-licence qualifications. I had friends. They jumped with me until I was good enough to pass the test to get my FS1. When I took the test they came and jumped with me and filmed it for the instructor to see and sign off on. Free.

I then jumped with friends who I learnt to freefly with. Free. Once I'd got it, a friend filmed my drill drive for the instructor to sign off on. Free.

Make friends - they're what the sport's all about anyway. ;)

100 jumps a year in the UK's a good benchmark. That number without living at the DZ every weekend or an overseas trip is actually fairly hard anyway. Thats "only" going to cost you £2k. Many people spend something like that keeping a car on the road, never mind fueling it.

It's not that expensive. And if it is - pack. Pack jobs are £5 a go (you don't have to pay this yourself - you just pack for yourself). But there are plenty of jumpers who do pay others for one reason or another. Maybe they're jumping 2 rigs back to back, or they're team training and don't have time or they're staff and have to be on the next load with another student etc. They will pay you. Be a packer. 4 pack jobs = 1 jump (or 3 tandem pack jobs = 1 jump).