fizzbuzz99

Handle options (for main)?

A good friend is buying her first custom made container and is wondering about what type of handle to go for.

Personally I jump with a hacky handle and always have, FS and FF head up/down.
I have never jumped a rig with an FF pud or monkey fist so can't comment on the relative pros/cons... opinions?? Out of all of these, I assume the pud is the 'most' freefly friendly and therefore not as 'easy' to just grab and deploy?

I also don't understand the pros of monkey fist handles as opposed to hackeys. Is it purely a personal style thing.

Of course there is always the length of tube as on student rigs but she would like something that looks a little cooler ;)

My choice would be a PVC tube. Less weight, less prone to entangle with the bridle than a hackey sack. Never used a freefly pud so I can't comment on it.

Y'all should read this old thread (the complete thread, not just the first post): http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1501286

My choice would be a PVC tube. Less weight, less prone to entangle with the bridle than a hackey sack. Never used a freefly pud so I can't comment on it.

Y'all should read this old thread (the complete thread, not just the first post): http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1501286

Made it clicky...and I agree with you.

I have a few rigs with PVC tube handles and never had a problem with 'em.

Got a hacky on my current one and though it's been fine so far, I've seen problems with them.

When I wear this PC out I'll probably got back to PVC.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Made it clicky...and I agree with you.

I have a few rigs with PVC tube handles and never had a problem with 'em.

Got a hacky on my current one and though it's been fine so far, I've seen problems with them.

When I wear this PC out I'll probably got back to PVC.

My first MF had a ping pong ball core but that collapsed after a day (that's also 8 years ago) the new one have a foam core and is light and solid.
I use a MF because i like the i get a closed fist grip on it and it feels VERY secure. I've tried a PUD only once, but my grip on it felt insecure for me.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Both hackies and tubes can have problems depending on how they are attached. I've seen tubes attached at a single point like a hacky. Better is with tape threaded through and sewn on each side.

The issue I've personally had and have seen others have with the standard orange tube is sticking a finger in it by accident. I did this a couple of times before I had hackies.

Of course when I read the title the first thing I thought of was Ripcord handles.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Both hackies and tubes can have problems depending on how they are attached. I've seen tubes attached at a single point like a hacky. Better is with tape threaded through and sewn on each side.

The issue I've personally had and have seen others have with the standard orange tube is sticking a finger in it by accident. I did this a couple of times before I had hackies.

Of course when I read the title the first thing I thought of was Ripcord handles.;)

I've heard complaints regarding the finger stickin' good problem...but I have hands like Magilla Gorilla AND wear gloves.

Non-issue for me. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You're not alone. When I was starting out, one of the student rigs had a PVC. I kept putting my thumb in it when I pulled. [:/]:S I didnt even realize I was doing it until my instructor told me & how me I could break my thumb doing that. I kept doing it though, still not realizing it. Finally he made me do several ground drills that involved not using my thumb at all to pull before he let me use that rig again.

I prefer a hackey. I like the feel of it and can always find it. I dont like the pud but I dont freefly much so not a big issue for me.

I made a cover for my tube handle out of some extra tie dye material last year to prevent the stuck finger problem, others have plugged the tube with a bit of foam from a pool noodle or I have heard the use of cork from a bottle.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4116530#4116530
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I have a canopy here (not mine) that has a home made pull out system.... with a curved pin :S

I have the free fly pud, and it is really hard to grab sometimes.
However, I would not want any other.

Hackys and monkeyfist are out of the question as they are bad in freefly.
Plastic tube would work, but my expirience is that they creep out little from the BOC, and I don't like that.

I usually push in the freefly pud so that it stays secure in the BOC, but that also means that it is hard to grab, I usually have to grab it with one finger on top and one at the bottom (short ends of it).
That has lead to me losing the handle a few times but I don't think it is much of a problem.

My first choice: Tube.
2nd: freefly pud
3rd: monkey fist
4th: hackey

Why?

Because the round handles can cause nasty knots in the bridle or even in the pilotchute itself. Especially when wingsuit flying.

I like the grip of a tube better than the fabric of a freefly pud, so that's 2nd (for me).

If you plan to wingsuit or freefly, best stay away from round handles.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have always had Freefly handles on my custom-made rigs and never had any problems finding the handle and deploying and I wear gloves all year round.

I spend most of my time in the air head-down or in sit.

One of the guys at my DZ this season broke his finger putting it through the tube at deployment and Monkey Fists scare the shit out of me with people moving around.

One of the things I do with new-gloves when they are not worn in is to wear them around the house for a day, getting used to performing well known and mundane tasks with the gloves on, a tip I picked up commercial-diving when i did all my kit checks and kitting up in the gloves I wore to work.

Teaches you excellent dexterity.

Cheers,

Coops.

My first choice: Tube.

Yup.

I used to worry about the thumb thing, but there are two reasons I stopped worrying.

1) I reach so my palm is the first thing to hit the handle, and

2) it's like a float exit where the bar is inside the plane. If you don't wrap your thumb, but rather use it parallel to your fingers, then you aren't going to get it in trouble. Leaned that one the hard way getting out of a Caravan B|

I feel like it's much more secure; sewn with tape (UPT style) it's always in exactly the same place. A hacky wobbles around a bit, even a freefly pad doesn't feel as positive in my hand.

Admittedly, it doesn't look as cool.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Ive had two custom rigs with the pvc. Its become my preference. Others always seem to have a comment for it, mostly that it doesnt look as cool as a hackey.

Cool? I always thought they were silly looking and a snag waiting to happen, especially in a crowded plane.