Chaw714

Cypres 6 week wait time?!?

I recently sent one in for a rigging customer for an 8 year to SSK in Ohio and it took 3 weeks. I still need to re-install and pack the reserve on Monday. They are busy this time of year and from my experience the wait time including shipping can be variable.
Onward and Upward!

I don't see a lot of great choices for you. You'll get it when you get it. What can you do? I do thank you for posting this though. As someone that is new or used AAD shopping, I can tell you that I will look more seriously at a Vigil now. I find a 6 plus week wait time hard to stomach. These 4 and 8 year services should be very high priority, IMO. Six weeks and counting, no thanks.

I just bought a used rig and the cypres had to be sent in for its 8 year...i was told 2 weeks its goin on 6 has anyone else delt with this or should i be getting mad by now?

Don't worry be happy:)
Do what #2 aka The "Shah" does, solo's and pull at 5k'.[:/] or

Talk with your rigger they might be able to install your cypress when it finally arrives if he/she has already packed your reserve.

YMMV but the rigger might do it for minimal charge.

R

dp what

As someone that is new or used AAD shopping, I can tell you that I will look more seriously at a Vigil now. I find a 6 plus week wait time hard to stomach.

That's a terrible way to choose what device you connect to a knife wrapped around your reserve closing loop.

Here's a thought, ever heard of winter? According to your profile, of course you have, you live in Oregon. So what you do is send your Cypres in for service during a time when you're not going to be jumping it. Winter would be one of those times, mid-June, not so much.

As someone that is new or used AAD shopping, I can tell you that I will look more seriously at a Vigil now. I find a 6 plus week wait time hard to stomach. These 4 and 8 year services should be very high priority, IMO. Six weeks and counting, no thanks.

they are high priority, but some things can not be rushed.
If you have a Cypres to sell, I will buy.
Get a Vigil and sell me your Cypres.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I just bought a used rig and the cypres had to be sent in for its 8 year...i was told 2 weeks its goin on 6 has anyone else delt with this or should i be getting mad by now?

and I have from someone at Cypres that there's a 12-week wait on new one, too.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

As someone that is new or used AAD shopping, I can tell you that I will look more seriously at a Vigil now. I find a 6 plus week wait time hard to stomach. These 4 and 8 year services should be very high priority, IMO. Six weeks and counting, no thanks.

That conclusion appears to say that you would be happier to not know that your AAD was not meeting the original specifications (assuming the extra time was needed to make repairs in Germany instead of just slow shipping).

Consider that a Cypres can seem to have no problems at all, no problems during the start-up self-test, and then when SSK does the full series of tests including accuracy/resolution at the fire/no fire limits , high/low temp, vibration, etc it failed to meet the original standards. Does this mean it would have necessarily failed to save your life if needed? No, but it does mean that the mfg is not comfortable with the self test being the only check on the proper function of the unit, and for very good reason - some fail! The self test can't check things to the same extent as can be done at the factory.

Given the fact that some units with no self-test errors have to be sent back for more extensive work after failing the std maintenance test series confirms that we should not trust a self test as the only check during its lifetime.

The self test cannot simulate a jump (simulate the pressures on the transducer) to test the entire system, and cannot test it in harsh environmental conditions. It just is a partial check of the health of the electronics.

The 4 and 8 year checks are a high priority, there is nothing to justify your conclusion that they are not. The Cypres II has a +/- 6 month window over which the testing can be done. Owners should just do a little more planning or less complaining.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

4/8 year checks are high priority. But even a 4-week or 6-week waiting time can easily be dealt with: Send your CYPRES in for inspection OFF-season. (You can even take advantage of the "time window" of 6 months + or - since it doesn't harm the overall service time of your CYPRES.
That's at least the way I do it ;)

Airtec seems to have quite a workload at the moment, but OTOH this shows there's high demand for their product B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Thank you all for your informative replys...i def would have sent it in in off season but i just bought the rig and it came that way...also i dont even have 100 jumps yet this is my first rig so i def need my aad if not for the fact that DZs require jumpers at my skill level to have one but for just comfort reasons for myself but again thank you all for the replys ill just have to keep waiting:-/

Thank you all for your informative replys...i def would have sent it in in off season but i just bought the rig and it came that way...also i dont even have 100 jumps yet this is my first rig so i def need my aad if not for the fact that DZs require jumpers at my skill level to have one but for just comfort reasons for myself but again thank you all for the replys ill just have to keep waiting:-/

We rent CYPRES units now to keep you jumping while waiting on that service....
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Also, within the past six years or so, CYPRES has been adopted heavily by the US military which means units send their devices in sometimes 60-80 or so at a time which can back up SSK. Not so long ago it was only two weeks or so for a check up. Now six weeks is the norm. Too long in my opinion no matter how in depth the inspection is or how awesomely superb of a device it is claimed to be. Every part of the US usually has an off season unless you are a skydiving nomad so better to send it in then.

Also, within the past six years or so, CYPRES has been adopted heavily by the US military which means units send their devices in sometimes 60-80 or so at a time which can back up SSK. Not so long ago it was only two weeks or so for a check up. Now six weeks is the norm. Too long in my opinion no matter how in depth the inspection is or how awesomely superb of a device it is claimed to be. Every part of the US usually has an off season unless you are a skydiving nomad so better to send it in then.

Really? To long? In your opinion:S.....I'm sure they would love for you to come in and offer opinions on how to run their company so they can be more efficient..By the way which company do you own and what do you manufacture adn maintain so we can see where your "to long" opinion generates from.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

By the way which company do you own and what do you manufacture adn maintain so we can see where your "to long" opinion generates from.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but he was just expressing an opinion and specifically stated so. If he were presenting it as a fact, you would be justified in asking for his credentials. If his only qualification is he is a customer, that alone allows him to present an opinion.

I am sure SSK values input from their customers. They are too successful not to. If their standard for service in the past has been 2 weeks, and it is now 6 weeks, they need to communicate to their customers that it is either the 'new normal' or a temporary issue that will be resolved. A big part of customer service is managing expectations.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

You should be getting on a plane. man up and jump without it. There's been a few bounces lately so you should be OK for awhile.

that was funny, worth repeating! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Really? To long? In your opinion:S.....I'm sure they would love for you to come in and offer opinions on how to run their company so they can be more efficient..By the way which company do you own and what do you manufacture adn maintain so we can see where your "to long" opinion generates from.

rowrrr!!! Yes opinion. Just because CYPRES/SSK/Airtec is pervasive in our community doesnt mean they, or anyone else, is immune from criticism. They provide a service that I pay for and if Im not satisfied I am entitled to an opinion. I dont think anything I said was way over the line or disparaging to their company. There is a whole section devoted to criticizing gear and a whole other section criticizing DZs. Welcome to dork zone dot com.

I'll repeat. I am looking more seriously at a Vigil now. Before this, I was only considering a Cypres. Perhaps I will conclude the Vigil can do no better in customer service or I may decide the Vigil is not reliable enough. All I'm saying is it is now on the table as an option. I would love to hear Cypres post and tell us why a 6 plus week wait time to check the AAD is acceptable customer service. Because they may not post, I will now email them and ask directly.

If you plan on buying a CYPRES, you shouldn't disregard it because of a 6-week waiting period at the moment. 4 years until the first inspection of your still-to-buy CYPRES is quite a long time ;) But even if the waiting period would remain that long you can send in your CYPRES at a time that accommodates your needs - there's a +/- 6-months "shifting" period possible. (OK, if you live in a region with all-year-jumping, you got to look for a unit to hire during that time...

As far as I understand Airtec got a rush of orders both from the military and the civilian sector. This might have to do with issues of competing products. I wonder if, let's say... a Belgian company could deal better with this fact.
And I also dimly remember that customers of competing products complained about "their" company's lack of communication about the issue in the past...

But I'd be interested in what they will write you. They won't be able to tell you more than "We've got looooaaads of customers, so we work as hard as we can and even hired new staff, we'll do our very best and take 4/ years as priority and hope do work down the huge pile of orders within the shortest time possible, sorry for any inconveniences" Just my tip...

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

BTW, my Cypres2 will be due for replacement in about 3 years from now.

Given SSK is the higher priced of AAD's and they pay for the most advertising of AAD's, I would presume they can afford to provide some sort of a guarantee for fedex'd units: "21 calendar days or the servicing is free!". An automatic email or text can be sent, when the clock begins ticking. (so SSK isn't blamed for rigger delays in rigger-to-SSK couriering)

If the army buys lots, save some of that revenue as a reserve, to hire more staff for servicing to make sure they honor the guarantee for some time into the future :-)

Or provide a clause that Cypres2 can announce "Code Red Backlog". During this moments, units that are subsequently sent in, do NOT get the "21 days or it is free" guarantee. (Units already sent continues to have that guarantee). This provides SSK protection against loss of revenue from servicing during unavoidable backlogs and staff shortages, while providing an incentive to quickly eliminate the "Code Red Backlog" announcement from their website, so the guarantee is reinstated.