1 1
brenthutch

Tesla Stock

42 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I hope everyone bought Tesla stock when Brent predicted demise (again). 

Woohoo!

When my Enphase stock went through the roof, I moved it into an exchange fund to protect against a sudden drop - figured I'd 'lock in' that price and move it to something less risky.  I tried with Tesla as well, but the exchange fund thought Tesla stock was too risk to include in the exchange.  Back then it was around $150 and even my investment guy was saying "get out of Tesla!"

Since then that's been the stock I sell when we have a big expenditure coming up (i.e. car.)  I've sold as high as $300 although I missed the $400 peak.

21 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I hope everyone bought Tesla stock when Brent predicted demise (again).  Up 37% this past week.

USD +53.71 (+37.97%) past week
April 29, 12:54 PM EDT · Market Open

Today "Volkswagen profit drops 20% in first quarter on lower sales", Even Brent's beloved MB has dropped in price by 5% on slowing demand.

So here i thought Brent could be right. But i was wrong.

23 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Today "Volkswagen profit drops 20% in first quarter on lower sales", Even Brent's beloved MB has dropped in price by 5% on slowing demand.

So here i thought Brent could be right. But i was wrong.

“I thought I was wrong once, but I found out later I was mistaken.”

— Edward Abbey

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

So now that the industry is moving toward Tesla's charging connector, and agreements to use its charging network, what is Elmo's next brilliant move?

At least now that it's an open standard other people can start building superchargers.  There's not enough market data yet to determine how that market works precisely (i.e. pricing vs location vs ease of use) but with 4 million EVs on the road, it's clear there is profit to be had.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billvon said:

At least now that it's an open standard other people can start building superchargers.  There's not enough market data yet to determine how that market works precisely (i.e. pricing vs location vs ease of use) but with 4 million EVs on the road, it's clear there is profit to be had.

Oh, I’m sure that shortly you’ll hear about how much better it would be if electric utilities could just go back to their real business of powering incandescent bulbs

Wendy P. 

(edited)

My guess is soon, someone is going to announce that they are leaving Tesla and start up a business of installing superchargers. Kind of like JB Straubel did with Redwood Meterials. Otherwise, I have to agree. It makes zero sense to reduce that portion of Tesla.

I haven't seen the actual details, did the entire organization get eliminated or it was just reduced in size and the media is misrepresenting the facts with click bait headlines.

Edited by CygnusX-1

7 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I haven't seen the actual details, did the entire organization get eliminated or it was just reduced in size and the media is misrepresenting the facts with click bait headlines.

The linked article was from Gizmodo. It is pretty blatantly anti-Musk but it says they’re laying off all of supercharger and new vehicle employees. If true, you gotta wonder what Musk is thinking.  

A lot of Tesla owners, me included, are stunned.  The tesla charging network is the envy of all other EV owners, and for Elon to say "We've done enough, no more" is, as Vizzini would say, "inconceivable".  And yet, here we are.  I got 40k miles on my Model 3, probably 8k of those on Supercharger supported trips.  I'm sure I will have many more, but interesting times are here for sure.  

31 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

A lot of Tesla owners, me included, are stunned.  The tesla charging network is the envy of all other EV owners, and for Elon to say "We've done enough, no more" is, as Vizzini would say, "inconceivable".  And yet, here we are.  I got 40k miles on my Model 3, probably 8k of those on Supercharger supported trips.  I'm sure I will have many more, but interesting times are here for sure.  

Agreed. Reliability of the non-Tesla networks suck rocks. Now is Tesla going to join them? Example:

EV chargers have a big reliability problem. Can the government fix it?

10 hours ago, ryoder said:

Agreed. Reliability of the non-Tesla networks suck rocks. Now is Tesla going to join them? Example:

My understanding is that Elon is saying the existing network will be maintained at its current high reliability level, but it won't be expanded anymore (or at a very reduced rate) so new chargers will have to come from other providers (which the reliability will be ??)

Interesting article about what is happening inside of Tesla.

Elon Musk is throwing his weight around Tesla, comes in like a wrecking ball

Sources say that Tesla will have issues continuing to grow the network without the organization of Rebecca Tinucci, Tesla’s former head of charging.

Sources familiar with the matter believe that some of the layoffs have nothing to do with hiring inefficiencies or restructuring, but rather with Musk throwing his weight around Tesla.

Two sources told Electrek that Tinucci was fighting back pressure from Musk to fire a bigger percentage of her team, and the CEO decided to let go of the entire team as an example.

I read that too, and there likely is truth to it, but  one counterpoint to the "irrational Elon" narrative is the fact that in Europe and in China, the Tesla fast charging network is now a small percentage of the total installed fast chargers.  China i think just a few percent, and Europe around 15 percent. 

So the argument is that Elon is seeing the writing on the wall and deciding that the US will also follow suit, other networks will get their shit together and take over, especially since the Tesla connector has largely become the standard for charging connectors now.  

Still feels way pre-mature to me.

I totally agree that it seems way pre-mature, if the goal is to transition to other networks taking over. Especially since they announced version 4 of the supercharger. I can't say for everywhere, but around here, when the transition went from V2 to V3, Tesla did not upgrade V2 stalls. They just built all new V3 stations. That IMO doesn't bode well for V4 stalls. Especially with them announcing that new stations will be very much reduced.

That doesn't mean that they could change to now upgrading the existing stations to V4. But I've seen no mention of that in any press.

1 minute ago, CygnusX-1 said:

That doesn't mean that they could change to now upgrading the existing stations to V4. But I've seen no mention of that in any press.

They want to build cutting edge vehicles. Not fuel stations. For a while they needed to do both, but no longer. It is among the first signs that the industry is beginning to become a little more mature.

18 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

They want to build cutting edge vehicles.

I heard that they fired their whole new products and vehicle development team too. So much for cutting edge vehicles. They only want to focus on FSD, AI, robo-taxi, and Tesla-Bot. Am I wrong? Or was that just anti-Tesla FUD.

24 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

They only want to focus on FSD, AI, robo-taxi, and Tesla-Bot. Am I wrong? Or was that just anti-Tesla FUD.

IDK. I'm not an Elon or Tesla fan and I don't follow the gossip about it. I'm just saying what makes sense. But the vehicles you mention would fall right into the "cutting edge" category in my mind.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

They want to build cutting edge vehicles. Not fuel stations. For a while they needed to do both, but no longer. It is among the first signs that the industry is beginning to become a little more mature.

You may be overthinking this.

A more likely scenario is that Musk came back after months of being at Twitter/X, talked to Tinucci, told her that he wanted her to fire about half her team, she said no, so he fired her and everyone on the team to make an example of them.  That way no one else would ever try to talk back to him.  No long term strategy.  No tradeoffs between charging and vehicle work.  Just him being the most excellent, fast-on-his-feet titan of industry the world has ever seen (in his mind.)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

You may be overthinking this.

A more likely scenario is that Musk came back after months of being at Twitter/X, talked to Tinucci, told her that he wanted her to fire about half her team, she said no, so he fired her and everyone on the team to make an example of them.  That way no one else would ever try to talk back to him.  No long term strategy.  No tradeoffs between charging and vehicle work.  Just him being the most excellent, fast-on-his-feet titan of industry the world has ever seen (in his mind.)

He’s prime DZO material, methinks.

50 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

There is nothing "cutting edge" about Tesla's on the automotive side.

First use of aluminum die casting for a production car
Largest battery at the time of new car release 
Longest range at the time of release
First autonomous driving features (level 2) available to the public
First production EV that outperformed all other production gas cars in acceleration
Highest power computing platform on a car when first released

Quite a lot of cutting edge work.  We'll see if that continues with Musk's tendency to fire anyone he doesn't like.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:31 AM, lippy said:

If true, you gotta wonder what Musk is thinking.  

I don't know if he was a flaming butthole before his purchase of X or if it just amplified it. About four weeks after the purchase and seeing him get a case of twitter thumbs, Dm'd him and suggested he hire an X CEO and go back to saving the planet and exploring new worlds - where he does his best work. 

Eventually, the noise on X got so bad that I deleted my account. I sometimes wonder if he's on some type of Howard Hughes path. Hopefully not and all he needs is a good vacation. I still admire the man, but wish he would re-focus on the core technologies that will benefit the planet. ~just one man's opinion.