jf951

I'm finally in the Metal-in-your-leg club!

so i've finally been initiated into the hardware-in-my-leg club and i figure theres no one else better to ask for advice about it than you guys so for all you experienced hardware toting veterans, have you ever had an issue with security anywhere? is it just a quick wave with the little wand after you set the main metal detector off and you cruise on through or have any of you ever had any serious issues getting though?
Jump more, Bitch less.

No.
I have a large bolt in my pelvis, a large plate in my pelvis, a 'ladder' in my back, screws in my collarbones, ankle, wrist, and elbow (from a variety of injuries not entirely related to skydiving).
I do have a Stryker card listing all my parts, but the TSA doesn't recognize the card as anything valid.

That said, never have I been stopped for the metal in my body, nor does it set off the detector. The parts can be seen on the scanner, but the scanners apparently, are programmed to ignore it. Scars are another story.

Welcome to the club :)

I've got a plate and 8 screws on my right fibula that is maybe 2 or 3 mm under the skin. I've never set off a metal detector and the body scanners don't even penetrate that deep.

It is pretty much a non issue. If it is ever picked up they'll just wand and pat down then send you on your way. TSA folks are usually pretty silly but even they can figure out when someone has an implant.

My plate and six screws have never elicited a question. But the scar/depression in my GF's thigh always shows up and gets "Ma'am, what's in your pants pocket?":S

Fucking Transportation Safety Theatre!!

Get this. Want to bring water through "security". Freeze it. It is no longer a gel or liquid. :)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Crud there's a club for metal in your legs ??
I get to join!!! I've got staples,pins or whatever you want to call them from my break earlier this year.

Wait a minute. Does it matter HOW you ended up getting them? Because it's still under review on wether it was a jump or just a fall. :P

Seriously though when I traveled they didn't set anything off so does it matter they size or amount if metal you have?

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Crud there's a club for metal in your legs ??
I get to join!!! I've got staples,pins or whatever you want to call them from my break earlier this year.

Go to the Lost Prairie boogie. Each year there is the Heavy Metal jump. Yup, only way to get on the load is to be the "proud" owner of some internal metal. Method of earning it does not matter.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

***Crud there's a club for metal in your legs ??

Go to the Lost Prairie boogie. Each year there is the Heavy Metal jump. Yup, only way to get on the load is to be the "proud" owner of some internal metal. Method of earning it does not matter.

................................................................................

When "Pieces of Eight" (Captain Hook, Larry Yonn, etc.) used to train (Perris Valley, California), air traffic controllers (at nearby March Air Force Base) used to track them on radar.

:D "Finally in the metal club" :) Sounds like an achievement you have been waiting for :).

Did a bunch of travel recently, no issue anywhere. (2 rods, 13 screws 1 plate / tib/fib) Stupid hurts. Joining the club fkin hurts too :) When you back in the air? :)

cheers, PV
Less Bitching / More Jumping..... Please?

Most metal used in implants are non-ferrous and do not show up on metal detector. Mostly Titanium now (stuff is stronger than the bone, its elegant stuff). The major reason for the shift is that it also will not interfere as much with MRI (which uses big magnets to generate an image).

I've heard stories of old metal skull implants causing problems but I dont know how much of that is urban legend.

Can I join the club if I have sternal wires from heart surgery???
You are not the contents of your wallet.

jumpwally

I don't see why not,,it's internal metal....B|

have to get up there and jump with those guys sometime then. Probably others out there with valve replacements and/or bypass that have some wires!
Guess my friend with a pacer/defib would also qualify!

Ah 'welcome' to the 'club'... I have learned to hate flying commercial- particularly before (some of) the security checkpoints began using the mm. radar instead of the metal detector. I can wear spandex, tell them about my bionic knee and point to the obvious scar(s). No matter, I get the full treatment frisk. In some countries I'd probably have to declare domestic partnership with security screeners conducting 'frisks'. The radar is way better- I take off my shoes, and hat, empty pockets and pretty much breeze through.

FastRon

Ah 'welcome' to the 'club'... I have learned to hate flying commercial- particularly before (some of) the security checkpoints began using the mm. radar instead of the metal detector. I can wear spandex, tell them about my bionic knee and point to the obvious scar(s). No matter, I get the full treatment frisk. In some countries I'd probably have to declare domestic partnership with security screeners conducting 'frisks'. The radar is way better- I take off my shoes, and hat, empty pockets and pretty much breeze through.

Whenever I need to go through I tell them I WANT the patdown. I tell them make sure they are thorough. I like seeing them uncomfortable instead of the other way around.

I was handed a yellow card while in the line at TSA and it was like a "Get Out of Jail Card" last weekend. I did not have to takes any thing off or remove shoes, placed my back pack in a tray (unopened with a lap top and cell phone inside) and walked through without a scan!

Must be a new get friendly policy.. Very nice.
Dano

jf951

so i've finally been initiated into the hardware-in-my-leg club and i figure theres no one else better to ask for advice about it than you guys so for all you experienced hardware toting veterans, have you ever had an issue with security anywhere?

No, and I found it a bit disturbing that a 1/2" thick foot long chunk of metal in my leg did not bother airport security the same way my car keys or pocket change would.

OTOH, that was before the naked making machines that'll spot a plastic comb. I had the hole in my tibia closed with a bone graft and the rod removed so I don't know how that would show up with the current airport setup.

Hee!
Hee!
I was discussing this with a co-worker last week, He burnt out as a security screener at the airport ... then got a metal knee a few years later.
The last time he flew across the border, he told a screener that he had a metal knee. The screener merely waved a wand past his knee.
So my buddy called the senior screener over and told him that maybe - just maybe - a "pat-down" might be the correct procedure.
Clueless stare!
And people wonder why airport security screeners get no respect??????

Caveat: fillings, piercings do not count, bullets and shrapnel do. The Heavy Metal load is always on the Thursday of the boogie.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

Can I join? I've got a pin in my thumb from wet grass at Eloy. :S

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717