1 1
brenthutch

The Continent’s Consensus on Climate?……Crumbling

On 3/1/2024 at 10:03 AM, brenthutch said:

What I HAVE said is that natural variability overpowers and obscures any role CO2 may play in the warming and what role CO2 does play is largely beneficial (a literal greening of the planet)

I don't know, It's starting to get serious:

"How climate change is hitting vulnerable Indonesian trans sex workers"

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/indonesian-transgender-climate-change-bandung-b2522422.html

And no, I don't think it's a parody. . .

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

I don't know, It's starting to get serious:

"How climate change is hitting vulnerable Indonesian trans sex workers"

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/indonesian-transgender-climate-change-bandung-b2522422.html

And no, I don't think it's a parody. . .

In 2006 I had a very fun time learning to eat fried giant locusts and dried squid with some trans and other types of sex workers in Thailand. If I could do it again I would in a heart beat.

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

In 2006 I had a very fun time learning to eat fried giant locusts and dried squid with some trans and other types of sex workers in Thailand. If I could do it again I would in a heart beat.

Did they give you any trouser trout?

49 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Did they give you any trouser trout?

How about for a second you resist your impulse to take cheap shots at them for being trans sex workers, and process the larger message of the story: climate change is going to have the biggest affect on those with the fewest resources.  

I can grumble that insurance raised our deductible for a roof replacement due to local hail damage, or comment on the road I rode the school bus on every day as a kid has washed out 3 times in the past year due to storms larger than anybody in the area ever remembers seeing...shit that inconveniences or concerns me, but doesn't do much more right now.  

People who have zero financial buffer and are living in particularly affected areas are going to be hit the hardest.  That's going to include Thai trans sex workers and many others living hand to mouth. 

You could show a bit of empathy, or at minimum keep your mouth shut and count your blessings for having the sheer dumb luck of being born a white dude in North America....or, you could have a chuckle 'cause they wear dresses but were born with penises.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lippy said:

You could show a bit of empathy, or at minimum keep your mouth shut and count your blessings for having the sheer dumb luck of being born a white dude in North America....or, you could have a chuckle 'cause they wear dresses but were born with penises.

Didn't you know that Brent was born a white dude in North America not because of luck, but because of his hard work and intelligence?

If you stupid lefties would only listen to him, and work as hard as he has, you can ALSO be born in the best place and have the best things*! /s

*refer to the other thread "The morbidly rich need to be taxed more" thread for a comprehensive list

(cue airdvr chiming in that white dudes also struggle...yes, yes they do but that's a different topic...)

(edited)
18 minutes ago, lippy said:

How about for a second you resist your impulse to take cheap shots at them for being trans sex workers, and process the larger message of the story: climate change is going to have the biggest affect on those with the fewest resources.  

Dude, IT WAS A JOKE!!  And yes everyone knows that the poor are disproportionately impacted by poverty.

Edited by brenthutch

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Dude, IT WAS A JOKE!!  And yes everyone knows that the poor are disproportionately impacted by poverty.

They're disproportionately impacted by nearly every negative. Wrong decisions, illness, and bad luck have far greater consequences when you're already working two part-time gig jobs with no insurance and limited or no sick leave to make ends meet, and have a $100 savings account.

And no one is immune from either wrong decisions or bad luck. Just my fortune to be born to good parents, be exposed to what I've been exposed to, and having a reasonable native intelligence has made the negative aspects of some wrong decisions or bad luck less likely to hit me. Like, yes, the times I drove while intoxicated (not a lot, but it happened, and I didn't get caught). Like, yes, the times I shoplifted as a kid (again, far and few between, but I'm a middle-class looking white girl, not a minority who gets scrutiny). And countless other infractions of good sense that nearly everyone in the world has committed, but that people who are under additional scrutiny, or who don't have the resources to deal with it, can't afford to make. 

Wendy P.

49 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

They're disproportionately impacted by nearly every negative. Wrong decisions, illness, and bad luck have far greater consequences when you're already working two part-time gig jobs with no insurance and limited or no sick leave to make ends meet, and have a $100 savings account.

And no one is immune from either wrong decisions or bad luck. Just my fortune to be born to good parents, be exposed to what I've been exposed to, and having a reasonable native intelligence has made the negative aspects of some wrong decisions or bad luck less likely to hit me. Like, yes, the times I drove while intoxicated (not a lot, but it happened, and I didn't get caught). Like, yes, the times I shoplifted as a kid (again, far and few between, but I'm a middle-class looking white girl, not a minority who gets scrutiny). And countless other infractions of good sense that nearly everyone in the world has committed, but that people who are under additional scrutiny, or who don't have the resources to deal with it, can't afford to make. 

Wendy P.

Being poor also means you can't afford high priced lawyers to delay delay delay delay delay. . . . 

Justice may be blind** but is certainly amenable to manipulation by the rich and powerful.

** If anyone who posts in this forum had committed the crimes that Trump has they would have been living in the Big House long ago. 

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Being poor also means you can't afford high priced lawyers to delay delay delay delay delay. . . . 

Justice may be blind** but is certainly amenable to manipulation by the rich and powerful.

** If anyone who posts in this forum had committed the crimes that Trump has they would have been living in the Big House long ago. 

Hench the old saw "How much justice can you afford".

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

Didn't you know that Brent was born a white dude in North America not because of luck, but because of his hard work and intelligence?

If you stupid lefties would only listen to him, and work as hard as he has, you can ALSO be born in the best place and have the best things*! /s

*refer to the other thread "The morbidly rich need to be taxed more" thread for a comprehensive list

(cue airdvr chiming in that white dudes also struggle...yes, yes they do but that's a different topic...)

Nailed Brent and the White cream of the GOP that sells that narrative to the uneducated, poor of the GOP base.

Even FOX knows that an hour of White work is worth a days labor of a Black or Brown person.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

And yes everyone knows that the poor are disproportionately impacted by poverty.

Did you come up with that one by yourself?

That one's going up on the wall in the moderator's lair.

• Like 2

(edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 3:24 PM, brenthutch said:

Yes, it gets hot, it gets cold, it rains then it doesn’t rain, the wind blows then it doesn’t, I like to call it WEATHER!

What do you call the trend of weather? And how would you describe it it was not the same over time?

Edited by Dr.SkyFall

5 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Changes in tilt angle.

If that was the case, why did the southern hemisphere have extensive glaciation at the same time?  

“Based on changes in position of ice sheet margins dated via terrestrial cosmogenic nuclides and radiocarbon dating, growth of ice sheets in the southern hemisphere commenced 33,000 years ago and maximum coverage has been estimated to have occurred sometime between 26,500 years ago[1] and 20,000 years ago.”

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

If that was the case, why did the southern hemisphere have extensive glaciation at the same time?  

“Based on changes in position of ice sheet margins dated via terrestrial cosmogenic nuclides and radiocarbon dating, growth of ice sheets in the southern hemisphere commenced 33,000 years ago and maximum coverage has been estimated to have occurred sometime between 26,500 years ago[1] and 20,000 years ago.”

A 13000 year spread? At any point during that period were there variations that might have made the trend confusing for some observers?

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

A 13000 year spread? At any point during that period were there variations that might have made the trend confusing for some observers?

Are we REALLY going to engage in this game where deniers start comparing geological events that took place over 10s of thousands to millions of years to with the current events that have happened since the beginning of the industrial revolution? The speed of change is unprecedented to our knowledge. Only cataclysmic events like major volcanic events and large object collisions are comparable in speed.  

15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Are we REALLY going to engage in this game where deniers start comparing geological events that took place over 10s of thousands to millions of years to with the current events that have happened since the beginning of the industrial revolution? The speed of change is unprecedented to our knowledge. Only cataclysmic events like major volcanic events and large object collisions are comparable in speed.  

Yes.