1 1
David Wang

Texas Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Court-Approved Abortion

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/08/us/texas-abortion-court-ken-paxton.html

this is just horrendous. I wonder if the AG even considered the fetus’s fatal condition before appealing. Last time I checked he isn’t a doctor. Also, the fact that women need court approvals to seek medical procedures is simply ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, David Wang said:

this is just horrendous. I wonder if the AG even considered the fetus’s fatal condition before appealing. Last time I checked he isn’t a doctor. Also, the fact that women need court approvals to seek medical procedures is simply ridiculous.

David, his name is Ken Paxton. You are probably busy studying or I would say look this guy up. He is among the worst of TX politicians. Even his own party hates him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, David Wang said:

and no pro-life people commenting on this thread, because the stance is indefensible in any way shape or form.

But ultra-conservatives never cared about that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tkhayes said:

and no pro-life people commenting on this thread, because the stance is indefensible in any way shape or form.

Yep.  The moral and intellectual bankruptcy of the GOP position is quite apparent.  Dobbs may be the gift that keeps on giving for Democrats, even in states like  Kansas, Kentucky,  Montana, Ohio and Vermont.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tkhayes said:

But ultra-conservatives never cared about that.

There is a difference between ultra-conservatives and the stink of the evangelical right. Right wing conservatives look the other way or hold their noses when evangelicals enter the room. Because like a overflowing outhouse on a hot Texas afternoon. When you gotta do what you gotta do. You do it.

37 minutes ago, grimmie said:

And yet women will support this madness and still vote Republican. I just don’t understand.

Hi Rich,

My WAG is that about 15% of the adult-age women in this country are of the Schafly-type:  Phyllis Schlafly - Wikipedia

Why the rest of them would support this madness and still vote Republican. I just don’t understand.

It makes no sense to me.

Jerry Baumchen

16 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Why the rest of them would support this madness and still vote Republican. I just don’t understand.

It makes no sense to me.

Jerry Baumchen

I watch a lot more Fox News than I'd like to.  In TX it's often on in a restaurant if we go out for lunch, half the time it's on in the lobby of my office.  If that's your source for 'real news', Democrats are incompetent, weak, authoritarian, super-evil-geniuses, country-haters and bad-breath-having pedophiles (it's a fun game they have, you can mix up those options in different combinations).  

I think if that's your reality as a starting point, then why would you ever support a Democrat?  I imagine this stunt by Paxton will be a bit of a wakeup call to some, but I wouldn't bet on it being enough to move the needle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kallend said:

So she's left Texas for the procedure, according to her lawyers,

No legal path for Texas to prosecute anything beyond State lines - this might be interesting.

Good for her. Insane state of affairs in US these days.

Democrats shouldn't be trying to negotiate exceptions, like 15 weeks; rape, incest or health of the pregnant person; etc.  They should come at this from the other side: all medical procedures are allowable, with the decision resting between the person needing/wanting the procedure and the medical provider.  If someone wants an exception, they have to show why any procedure should be prohibited or disallowed.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, lippy said:

I think if that's your reality as a starting point, then why would you ever support a Democrat?  I imagine this stunt by Paxton will be a bit of a wakeup call to some . . . 

Why would it be?  In the FOXiverse, the story is "Paxton protects the life of unborn child from liberal babykillers!  Baby-hating mom flees Texas to get secret abortion in blue state."

30 minutes ago, billvon said:

Why would it be?  In the FOXiverse, the story is "Paxton protects the life of unborn child from liberal babykillers!  Baby-hating mom flees Texas to get secret abortion in blue state."

Hi Bill,

Probably more like:  Baby-murdering mom flees Texas to get secret abortion in blue state.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, normiss said:

No legal path for Texas to prosecute anything beyond State lines - this might be interesting.

Doesn’t their statute include the ability to sue the shit out of anyone who helped her leave the state?

5 hours ago, jakee said:

Doesn’t their statute include the ability to sue the shit out of anyone who helped her leave the state?

That part is more directed at people who help poor women; they have fewer resources to fight back. First rule of power bullying — demonstrate on people more likely to lose

Wendy P. 

Texas’s Supreme Court found that the situation itself wasn’t sufficient grounds for allowing an exception to the state’s abortion ban, in a ruling that came after the Dallas-area woman decided to go out of state for the procedure. “Some difficulties in pregnancy, however, even serious ones, do not pose the heightened risks to the mother the exception encompasses,” the all Republican Texas Supreme Court wrote.

Assholes.

6 hours ago, jakee said:

Interesting thought - I hadn't considered the civil aspect, given the Texas focus on it being criminal. If I cross state lines and do something legal in that state, I didn't think another state could prosecute for something illegal in a state you weren't in at the time of the "crime".

Land of the free my ass. I'm embarrassed at what America is becoming.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ryoder said:

An attorney elaborates on TX law;

See section "Who can be criminally prosecuted under the Texas abortion law?"

What is the Texas Abortion Law? (2023)

In summary: Anyone helping transport her, or helping her pay for it.

Anyone who needs help. If you don’t need help, you’re good to go.

Wendy P. 

30 minutes ago, ryoder said:

An attorney elaborates on TX law;

See section "Who can be criminally prosecuted under the Texas abortion law?"

What is the Texas Abortion Law? (2023)

Suddenly wondering how I can NOT go to corporate headquarters again. Fuck Texas.

45 minutes ago, ryoder said:

ATM's are going to need a waiver screen:  "I hereby certify that I will not use this money for anything to do with reproductive health care."

• Like 3

8 hours ago, billvon said:

ATM's are going to need a waiver screen:  "I hereby certify that I will not use this money for anything to do with reproductive health care."

maybe this is an angle that the pro-choice folks could pile on to.  They could file frivolous lawsuits against Ford, GM, Dodge, the banks for the ATM issues, any hotel chains, airlines, the restaurant industry and grocery stores....

Nothing like some corporate pressure to change the laws if any of these industries saw a threat or expense under the current law.