2 2
kallend

A Trump dictatorship is increasingly inevitable. We should stop pretending.

A long, pessimistic and quite scary article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/30/trump-dictator-2024-election-robert-kagan/

What is certain, however, is that the odds of the United States falling into dictatorship have grown considerably because so many of the obstacles to it have been cleared and only a few are left. If eight years ago it seemed literally inconceivable that a man like Trump could be elected, that obstacle was cleared in 2016. If it then seemed unimaginable that an American president would try to remain in office after losing an election, that obstacle was cleared in 2020. And if no one could believe that Trump, having tried and failed to invalidate the election and stop the counting of electoral college votes, would nevertheless reemerge as the unchallenged leader of the Republican Party and its nominee again in 2024, well, we are about to see that obstacle cleared as well. In just a few years, we have gone from being relatively secure in our democracy to being a few short steps, and a matter of months, away from the possibility of dictatorship.

30 minutes ago, kallend said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/30/trump-dictator-2024-election-robert-kagan/

What is certain, however, is that the odds of the United States falling into dictatorship have grown considerably because so many of the obstacles to it have been cleared and only a few are left. If eight years ago it seemed literally inconceivable that a man like Trump could be elected, that obstacle was cleared in 2016. If it then seemed unimaginable that an American president would try to remain in office after losing an election, that obstacle was cleared in 2020. And if no one could believe that Trump, having tried and failed to invalidate the election and stop the counting of electoral college votes, would nevertheless reemerge as the unchallenged leader of the Republican Party and its nominee again in 2024, well, we are about to see that obstacle cleared as well. In just a few years, we have gone from being relatively secure in our democracy to being a few short steps, and a matter of months, away from the possibility of dictatorship.

Careful lest a coterie of Canadians come claiming collapsing civil society concerns are excessively doom and gloomish.

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

IMO Nov 2024 will be the most important election in the history of this nation.

What bothers me most is that many people will simply not vote.

Thanks for the post; should be read by every American.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Careful lest a coterie of Canadians come claiming collapsing civil society concerns are excessively doom and gloomish.

So, you claim to dislike the maga agenda of American primacy, yet somehow think that it is wrong for the neighbours to comment? Frankly full of freaking unfriendly foolishness. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nigel99 said:

It's definitely a scary possibility, and people so often believe that 'It couldn't happen to us'. 

Hi Nigel,

Think Germany in 1933.

Jerry Baumchen

The Nazi's first came for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.  Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up

because I was a Protestant.  Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak for me.

Rev. Martin Niemoeller

• Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 3:30 PM, normiss said:

Judge Arthur Engoron has set closing arguments in Trump's civil fraud trial for January 11th, 2024 at 10 AM EST.

This is the one he's already been found liable for? The judge just needs to decide the value of his penalties?

It's a challenge to keep up with a felony criminal defendant in multiple cases with 91 felony charges.

Jebus Howard Christ. What a criminal enterprise.

Just imagine the jobs, jobs, jobs, that will be created when trump is re-elected.

8 hours ago, gowlerk said:

So, you claim to dislike the maga agenda of American primacy, yet somehow think that it is wrong for the neighbours to comment? Frankly full of freaking unfriendly foolishness. 

There are other types of American primacy and aspects of them to like or dislike. I have been out there, and here, saying we should be afraid of the autocratic trend for a while. So I'm pleased that WaPo is coming on board. Often I'm told to relax. Fair enough. But to be honest some of my neighbors commentary isn't much different from my neighbors barking dog.

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

So I'm pleased that WaPo is coming on board.

Large parts of the conservative orthodoxy stood four square against the maga hoard and Trump in 2015. When he clinched the nomination most of them reluctantly came on board. When he came to power that reluctance mostly evaporated. The same thing will happen if he regains power. 

8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

There are other types of American primacy and aspects of them to like or dislike. I have been out there, and here, saying we should be afraid of the autocratic trend for a while. So I'm pleased that WaPo is coming on board. Often I'm told to relax. Fair enough. But to be honest some of my neighbors commentary isn't much different from my neighbors barking dog.

I'm now also onboard the USS Titanic. He knows a pardon is his only way out of his felonious mess. He also knows that he has many enemies to settle scores with.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

I'm now also onboard the USS Titanic. He knows a pardon is his only way out of his felonious mess. He also knows that he has many enemies to settle scores with.

The problem is that it's not only the US it's virtually everywhere on the planet. Apparently it is innate in our species this desire to be a serf, seemingly to whomever makes the offer. Even our fervently democratic president is a serf to the christian god and desires a thumb print of ash on his forehead once a year to prove his fidelity to the true King. There is simply no reason, save disregarding the evidence before our eyes, to believe our species is destined to live in equality.

Edited by JoeWeber

6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The problem is that it's not only the US it's virtually everywhere on the planet. Apparently it is innate in our species this desire to be a serf, seemingly to whomever makes the offer. Even our fervently democratic president is a serf to the christian god and desires a thumb print of ash on his forehead once a year to prove his fidelity to the true King. There is simply no reason, save disregarding the evidence before our eyes, to believe our species is destined to live in equality.

The weak, the gullible will always look for an easy answer and a scapegoat. Hence religion, dictators and demigods.

Human nature is not influenced by color, race, or nationality.

The problem isn't solely on the Republicans. This also will lay directly on the Democrats hands if that happens. This outcome could easily be adverted if the Dems put someone up that could easily beat Trump. But they won't, so we have the same problem on both sides of the isle. And then people wonder why we say that we do not have a 2-party system, but instead they are all the same.

10 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

The problem isn't solely on the Republicans. This also will lay directly on the Democrats hands if that happens. This outcome could easily be adverted if the Dems put someone up that could easily beat Trump. But they won't, so we have the same problem on both sides of the isle. And then people wonder why we say that we do not have a 2-party system, but instead they are all the same.

The 2 current sides are in no way similar IMO. Biden has continually proven he can and IS doing a damn good job at POTUS. Yeah, he's old. He still exercises, runs, is damn sharp mentally, and actually has a soul and shows feelings.

Trump is a traitor who wants to end our democracy. Oh, and he's a rapist. And facing HOW MANY FELONY CHARGES???

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

He can only pardon Federal convictions.  Parking tickets not so much.

29 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

The problem isn't solely on the Republicans. This also will lay directly on the Democrats hands if that happens. 

That was an unbelievably stupid point when Brent made it, and it hasn't become any smarter since.

30 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

This outcome could easily be adverted if the Dems put someone up that could easily beat Trump. But they won't, so we have the same problem on both sides of the isle. 

So because you think Biden isn't a lock for re-election he poses the same problem as Trump, who has declared an intention to dismantle democracy and the rule of law if elected?

32 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

And then people wonder why we say that we do not have a 2-party system, but instead they are all the same.

Yes, I really do wonder why you would say they are both the same.

12 minutes ago, winsor said:

He can only pardon Federal convictions.  Parking tickets not so much.

You're thinking too small.  Perhaps he can't pardon himself for state crimes, but he can certainly start firing judges (and/or threatening them, their families and their friends) until a judge manages to find a way to void his conviction.

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

You're thinking too small.  Perhaps he can't pardon himself for state crimes, but he can certainly start firing judges (and/or threatening them, their families and their friends) until a judge manages to find a way to void his conviction.

Bingo.