2 2
brenthutch

Granholm’s EV road-trip fiasco

https://nypost.com/2023/09/14/granholm-squirms-when-pressed-about-gas-car-fiasco-on-ev-trip-poor-judgment/

Her road-trip only made possible by an accompanying fleet of ICE support vehicles.

Ford’s CEO had a similar “red pill” experience on his trip. (Not to mention the more than four billion dollars in losses from his EV division)

Edited by brenthutch

19 minutes ago, billvon said:

Heck, we take 1600 mile family vacations in one.  Recently someone drove across the US in 42 hours in one.

That still doesn’t make 1000 miles in one day, or explain why neither Granholm nor the CEO of Ford were able to accomplish the same feat with presumably more resources 

Edited by brenthutch

10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That still doesn’t make 1000 miles in one day, or explain why neither Granholm nor the CEO of Ford were able to accomplish the same feat with presumably more resources 

You tow a small trailer with a generator plugged into the charging port of the electric vehicle.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lippy said:

It'd be a fuckofalong day, but you figure 1000 miles averaging 75mph is about 13.5 hours.  Add 2 hours for charging breaks and it's not hard to comprehend.  

I did one of those on a motorcycle once. Iron Butt Ride, 1,000 miles in 24 hours. Had no interest doing that again.

5 hours ago, lippy said:

It'd be a fuckofalong day, but you figure 1000 miles averaging 75mph is about 13.5 hours.  Add 2 hours for charging breaks and it's not hard to comprehend.  

Team trucks go about 1200 miles a day. At 65 mph. One, sometimes 2 fuel stops. Tesla will never do that.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Team trucks go about 1200 miles a day. At 65 mph. One, sometimes 2 fuel stops. Tesla will never do that.

'never' is a strong word, but they sure won't be doing it anytime soon....for that matter, neither will either of my current ICE vehicles.  I get just around 400 miles on a good day.

5 hours ago, kallend said:

I’ve twice driven ZHills to Chicago in one go, and once Chicago to Los Alamos NM in one go. Not doing that again!

Should have flown there.  The Los Alamos airport is an experience, the runway being on a finger mesa. You land uphill to the West and take off downhill to the East regardless.

6 hours ago, kallend said:

I’ve twice driven ZHills to Chicago in one go, and once Chicago to Los Alamos NM in one go. Not doing that again!

Hi John,

As a younger man, I drove from Oceanside, CA to Beaverton, OR in one go [ 1044 miles ].

Then on 12 Sep 2001, I drove from Los Angeles, CA to Beaverton, OR in one go [ 960 miles ].  That was somewhat of a necessity as no airplanes were flying.

And, Not doing that again!

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, lippy said:

'never' is a strong word, but they sure won't be doing it anytime soon....for that matter, neither will either of my current ICE vehicles.  I get just around 400 miles on a good day.

Sure, and that's encouraging because so few really want to go the distance. That there are yet no lithium powered sex toys is, perhaps, the best evidence.

9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Fire hazard is a big concern. Flammable lubes and fire.....

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Sure, and that's encouraging because so few really want to go the distance. That there are yet no lithium powered sex toys is, perhaps, the best evidence.

Have you never shopped at Target?

https://www.target.com/c/vibrators-adult-toys-sexual-wellness-health/lithium-ion/-/N-xdeujZuq2650qyzrg

14 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Well...maybe not this year.

https://aurora.tech/

Another tech that will ultimately reduce the available jobs.

In CO they can't even find bus drivers, and it has been like this for a while. Just this morning I saw this:

Colorado Department of Transportation's Bustang between Denver and Fort Collins experiencing regular cancellations due to driver shortage

A spokesperson for CDOT confirmed that a driver shortage was largely to blame for the repetitive cancellations

37 minutes ago, ryoder said:

In CO they can't even find bus drivers, and it has been like this for a while. Just this morning I saw this:

Colorado Department of Transportation's Bustang between Denver and Fort Collins experiencing regular cancellations due to driver shortage

A spokesperson for CDOT confirmed that a driver shortage was largely to blame for the repetitive cancellations

Can't we train homeless people to drive trucks? I mean, they're already used to not being home, right?

48 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Can't we train homeless people to drive trucks? I mean, they're already used to not being home, right?

It is not a highly skilled job. But it does require a degree of discipline that many of those who are homeless probably lack.

• Like 1