potatoman

Difference between jumping now and then

Old- Small and light was de-lining a 28' 1.1, and jumping a 24' round reserve that could leave a divot in actual use.
PLF's most every jump. Lord we hit hard (and backwards) a lot.
'Small' squares were 160 sq. ft...
BIG jumpsuits. Light colored ones had permanent mud/grass stains.
20 minute C182 rides to 7500... sometimes...
4 aspirin every morning and noon until Wednesday?

New- Small and light... Oh yeah!
Small and light square reserves even.
"What's a PLF"? Stand up landing a requirement, not the anomoly.
Maybe no jumpsuits.
Turbines! 13,500 in not enough time to regret last night.
2 naproxen and you are all good.

JohnMitchell

New- "What's a PLF"?

. . . they say we're taking them away to the emergency room with ice on their ankle. [:/]

Old- PLF's were a reflex.

New- PLF's were mentioned in the FJC, but no one remembers them when they need to. [:/]

Do new jumpers even know what PLF stands for?:ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

New- "What's a PLF"?

. . . they say we're taking them away to the emergency room with ice on their ankle. [:/]

Old- PLF's were a reflex.

New- PLF's were mentioned in the FJC, but no one remembers them when they need to. [:/]

Do new jumpers even know what PLF stands for?:ph34r:

NOT knowing HOW gives ya...Purple Little Feet!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

AADs .... yeah right

They were 'AODs' ;)

But only on our front mounted reserve .. never had one on the first 'piggyback' (now there's a phrase from the past too) system.. actually, never had one until relatively recently.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

AADs .... yeah right

They were 'AODs' ;)

But only on our front mounted reserve .. never had one on the first 'piggyback' (now there's a phrase from the past too) system.. actually, never had one until relatively recently.

The "piggyback" was also sometimes called a "tandem" until a few people started strapping 200 pounds of stupid on the front when they jumped.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

shropshire

AADs .... yeah right

They were 'AODs' ;)

I had one as a student- however it was of questionable value as the transition from reserves without pilot chutes to cut aways & reserves with ...was taking place where I learned.

I wondered what use pulling the pin would be if ya brain locked and didn't 'grab the skirt'...but as a n00b kept my pie hole shut. :):D

My 1st 'tandem' rig I picked up barely used...had an FXC attached - gave 700 for the rig (paraplane & 23' tricon included) - sold the FXC for 500 having never jumped it myself.

I too just recently broke down and put in a battery operated reserve...Never worry about ME fuckin up :$ ~ just that too many squids flyin' around like missiles out there these days, lost a buddy to a seemingly slight head bump last season...hate to hit the door at heaven 'cause of some n00b... with 1500 bucks I 'shoulda' spent still in the bank! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

I too just recently broke down and put in a battery operated reserve...Never worry about ME fuckin up :$ ~ just that too many squids flyin' around like missiles out there these days, lost a buddy to a seemingly slight head bump last season...hate to hit the door at heaven 'cause of some n00b... with 1500 bucks I 'shoulda' spent still in the bank! ;)

My DZO was puzzled years back when I ordered my first AAD. She wondered why I was getting one. I said "I'd feel pretty dumb bouncing with $1200 left in my checking account.":D

Sorry about your buddy. Was it at an airshow?

By the end of the summer of 1979, I was tired of carrying students on stretchers off the DZ every weekend.

These days we have hardly any solo students and it is experienced jumpers we are calling ambulances for, after they screwed "perfectly good" chutes into the ground.

We packed up a bunch of old gear once. We were trying to get an eight way. I remember I was standing there with Bobby Potter when one of the younger jumpers came up and asked how many jumps he had to have before he could jump a round? I didn't think Potter would ever stop laughing.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

We packed up a bunch of old gear once. We were trying to get an eight way.

A few years ago some of the Air Trash crowd decided to make a “big suit” dive. I showed up in an orange “Silly Suit”. It was like driving a diesel truck around the sky. Out of 10 only 5 were able to dock.

We had jumpsuits as big as a Hobby Cat sail. :P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

riggerrob

By the end of the summer of 1979, I was tired of carrying students on stretchers off the DZ every weekend.

These days we have hardly any solo students and it is experienced jumpers we are calling ambulances for, after they screwed "perfectly good" chutes into the ground.

Man, that is so true. Every FJC used to very likely mean at least one sprained ankle, no matter how hard you had them practice PLF's. Much better these days.

I will say that as much as I look back fondly on my old Starlite, landing one last October reminded me of how much nicer it is to land squares :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RiggerLee

We got seven out of seven. Just couldn't find any one for the eighth rig. Belly warts and a couple of crossbow piggy backs. We did let one person jump a vector 1 with a single keel. But those were the only three rings on the load.

Lee

Three rings is one point that distinguishes old vs new.

Round vs square is the most obvious. Front reserve vs back. Cutaway vs hand deploy of reserve. Ripcord vs hand deploy of main. S/L vs AFF.

Now I just feel like an old fart. :SB|

The sport is cool and sleek now, but it was amazing like barn storming, then!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

The sport is cool and sleek now, but it was amazing like barn storming, then!

Yeah, when you were geared up, you were geared up. Heavy backpack, reserve with belly band cinched nice and tight, waddle/rattle when you walked to the plane. Oh, watch those handles sticking out everywhere. :D