1 1
billvon

Hottest day ever recorded

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

IMO if we do not get this thing turned around, there is going to be mass starvation on this planet.

Now, that might be a good thing.  Getting rid of about 65% of the human population might bring us to some type of sustaining balance.

Jerry Baumchen

If we stopped turning corn into ethanol that would help.

I was thinking 50% but 65% sounds better.

President Lyndon Johnson joked that his grand child was the 2,000,000 th American, look where we are now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

IMO if we do not get this thing turned around, there is going to be mass starvation on this planet.

Now, that might be a good thing.  Getting rid of about 65% of the human population might bring us to some type of sustaining balance.

Jerry Baumchen

Getting rid of the biggest polluting 65% would be ideal. There is a proverb related to this.

Dig a well before you are thirsty.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

I have long believed that mankind is his own worst enemy.

New Six-Part Documentary Series HUMAN FOOTPRINT Examines How Humans Have Transformed the Planet (pbs.org)

Jerry Baumchen

PS)   The Limits to Growth - Wikipedia

Agree think of the damage, suffering, waste, pollution, etc that Putin is wreaking. Then i think of that fat pig, ego called trump in his 767

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

An interesting commentary; will take a few minutes to read:  Struggling to survive on the Oregon Coast: Steve Duin column - oregonlive.com

Angela Benton puts it well: “Nature has a way of finding the balance.”

You and I have a way of screwing that up. 

Jerry Baumchen

Rest assured. One way or another nature will put mankind in its place.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, johnhking1 said:

What was the TV commercial, "It's not nice to fool mother nature".

Chiffon Margarine. 

I'm thinking of one from a few years ago.
"Mother Nature", walking down a residential street with a bunch of 'forest critters' tagging along.
She gets to a driveway, walks up to the car sitting there and starts using her walking stick to beat the crap out of the car.

Tagline: Nature can be really hard on your car

It was for car wax or something similar.
Couldn't find it with a quick search.

2 hours ago, lippy said:

I was looking forward to escaping the TX heat for a week in Turkey. Yesterday Ankara hit 40C, which is unheard of here. 

At least it gets into the 60’s at night as opposed to the high 80’s at home. 

My wife was recently in Malta, and says it was untypically hot there.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:25 PM, johnhking1 said:

If we stopped turning corn into ethanol that would help.

You can blame the farm lobby (corn growers) for that mess. They were the ones to petition the government to use corn in ethanol verses other more appropriate vegetation. If I were you, I would go out and punch every farmer in the face for allowing that to happen.

12 hours ago, Erroll said:

Try that in a small town.......

Depends on color of course.

Black man punches out white farmers.  Republican country boys: "We protect our own!  It's sad that the violent thug was lynched, but that's what happens when you try that shit here in a small town.  Note that I am NOT condoning lynching.  And I have a black friend so I'm not racist."

White man punches out black farmers.  Republican country boys: "Well innocent until proven guilty is what I say.  And how do we know the farmers weren't Antifa bent on destroying the local town?  Maybe he's a hero.  I mean, sure, what he did was wrong, but I wish more people had the courage to stand up to inner city thugs."

• Like 4

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Well there you go, an atypically warm week in Malta and catastrophic man made global warming is confirmed.

There were record heat waves in Europe, US, South America, east and southeast asia this year, and July 2023 is the hottest month ever recorded.

But of course you'll ignore that. You'll find a topic with a bit less certainty like hurricane activity or wildfires. Then when the temperature eases a bit you'll be back to denying that warming is even happening, then continue in an endless cycle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, olofscience said:

There were record heat waves in Europe, US, South America, east and southeast asia this year, and July 2023 is the hottest month ever recorded.

But of course you'll ignore that. You'll find a topic with a bit less certainty like hurricane activity or wildfires. Then when the temperature eases a bit you'll be back to denying that warming is even happening, then continue in an endless cycle.

But those polar bears coming into camps because they smell food, and the humans having to defend themselves. That SURELY proves a point. 

Just ones he completely ignores.

(edited)
On 8/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, StreetScooby said:

Ok, granted these are all reproducible observations.  What do we do about it?

About 30% of US CO2 emissions come from cars and trucks.

I takes about 10g of gasoline to accelerate a mid sized fossil fueled car from zero  to 30mph.  This produces about 30g of CO2.  If you hadn't been stopped unnecessarily that gas would have taken you about 200 yards instead of zero yards.  And then add to that the gas burned while idling at the light waiting for it to change.

Think about how many times you have been stopped at a traffic light or 4-way stop when there was actually nothing to wait for.  Multiply that by the number of cars on the road and you can see that an overhaul of our traffic management schemes could reduce vehicle emissions by a huge amount. The worst offenders are old traffic lights with no smart sensors, such as are found in many of our cities.

Yield at entry roundabouts not only reduce accidents compared with traffic lights** but don't bring vehicles to an unnecessary stop.

Traffic lights are the spawn of Satan. 

** Studies by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).   When roundabouts replace a traffic signal, FHWA found a 48% reduction in crashes and nearly 80% drop in serious injury and deadly crashes.

Edited by kallend
Added some data.
  • Like 2

Net Zero Housing and electric vehicles.

Carbon taxes the most effective way to change personal conduct regarding carbon use.

Urban planning to prioritize mass urban transit over private vehicles:  Better Bus Systems Could Slow Climate Change

Property tax systems that favor higher densities over detached single family/urban sprawl.

Looks like another "denier" study has been withdrawn since it "manipulated data, cherry picked facts and ignored others that would contradict their assertions, prompting the publisher to launch an internal review".

"The Editors and publishers concluded that they no longer had confidence in the results and conclusions of the article," Springer Nature told AFP in an email late Wednesday.

The journal's editors published an online note stating that the paper was retracted due to concerns over "the selection of the data, the analysis and the resulting conclusions".

https://phys.org/news/2023-08-science-publisher-flawed-climate.html

So I just had this wierd conversation with a woman at a convenience store in a small mountain town. She was telling me how the real cause of global warming is not human activity, but is caused by the earth's two suns. WTF?

I did some searching when I got home, and apparently this is what she was talking about:

Wikipedia: Nemesis_(hypothetical_star)

Funny thing is that page says nothing about an alternative theory of global warming based on it.

52 minutes ago, ryoder said:

So I just had this wierd conversation with a woman at a convenience store in a small mountain town. She was telling me how the real cause of global warming is not human activity, but is caused by the earth's two suns. WTF?

I did some searching when I got home, and apparently this is what she was talking about:

Wikipedia: Nemesis_(hypothetical_star)

Funny thing is that page says nothing about an alternative theory of global warming based on it.

So a new sun(star) popped up about eighty years ago. Obviously a republican. Hopefully she doesn't have children.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, Phil1111 said:

Net Zero Housing and electric vehicles.

Carbon taxes the most effective way to change personal conduct regarding carbon use.

Urban planning to prioritize mass urban transit over private vehicles:  Better Bus Systems Could Slow Climate Change

Property tax systems that favor higher densities over detached single family/urban sprawl.

Years ago every town including small rural towns had a rail station.  With the interstate system, they started tearing up the tracks.  These tracks could be used for commuter trams or trolleys to take people from small towns to larger cities saving fuel, traffic jams, parking problems and other issues associated with auto traffic.

August capped this summer’s extreme heat with a monthly average temperature of 62.3 degrees Fahrenheit (16.82 Celsius), which was 0.71 C warmer than the long-term average and 0.31 C warmer than the previous warmest August in 2016. It was the planet’s second-hottest month ever observed, closely following July, which was the hottest.

The average surface air temperature for June, July and August  was 62.2 degrees F (16.77 degrees C), based on analysis of billions of weather instrument measurements. That was 0.66 C above the long-term average, which is considered a large margin when comparing seasonal averages in temperature. Every summer since 2009 has been warmer than average.

The average global sea surface temperature was warmer on every day in August than the previous warmest temperature ever recorded. August had the highest average sea surface temperature of any month on record at 69.7 F (20.98 C). The North Atlantic was especially warm, surpassing its previous warmest temperature of 76.7 F (24.81 C) on Aug. 5 and staying above that mark almost every day since.

It was the warmest August in the Arctic on record, at 3.8 F above average. Meanwhile, the Antarctic sea ice extent remained at a record low level for the time of year, “with a monthly value 12% below average, by far the largest negative anomaly for August since satellite observations began.