1 1
billvon

How EV's ruined my weekend

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

Jerry - I'm wondering if the EV battery thing will be similar to valuing an AAD with a fixed life. If batteries are 75% towards end of life the replacement cost would be factored into the car value.  

Hi Bill,

Well, I was just looking around & must have misplaced my crystal ball.

You make a good point, however, I seriously doubt that most new car buyers think about the day they will sell it.  It's nice & shiny and smells so good.

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry - I'm wondering if the EV battery thing will be similar to valuing an AAD with a fixed life. If batteries are 75% towards end of life the replacement cost would be factored into the car value.  

Absolutely.  Every EV I've seen has a way of evaluating actual range.  The Leaf has a "battery health" bar and every EV/PHEV I've seen shows an estimated range when fully charged.  That's a rough guide to battery life remaining, and is already a major factor in how people price cars.

I think you make a good point; there will end up being decent tests for battery capacity, to be used at the time of sale, and verified, just as mileage is used as well. Because it's important, and mileage is not the only determinant -- different driving styles will most likely affect the longevity of the battery.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, grimmie said:

Not an EV at all. It is diesel electric and only has two hours of battery endurance. The pumper in WI uses a Cummins diesel to run it's pump. I can see why the veterans are doubtful. I guess most of the miles put on these machines are not actually to fires where all the power is needed, so maybe there is a place for this system. In general trucks are not going to work well on batteries at this time in history. A fire truck that spends a lot of time in a station house being charged and cleaned may be an exception. 

On 9/8/2022 at 10:23 AM, grimmie said:

My fellow retired firefighters are all melting down over the new EV fire trucks.

I can imagine how the old timers felt when gasoline powered rigs replaced horse drawn steam pumpers.

Its going to be exciting to see the progress of technology in the next few years for all sorts of vehicles, including aircraft.

Are you suggesting that gasoline and diesel can actually, like, catch fire and cause explosions?  Oh the humanity!

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

A little update on what is planned for Oregon:  Oregon Department of Transportation : Oregon’s Five-year EV Charging Infrastructure Roadmap : Climate Office : State of Oregon

I see more of this in the other states in the not-so-far future.

Jerry Baumchen

Nice. I wish California put forward something like this before they just mandated the switch to EVs. We needed this level of infrastructure investment years ago. I think we’re going in the right direction but I feel incentivizing works better than mandating.

On 9/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, wmw999 said:

I think you make a good point; there will end up being decent tests for battery capacity, to be used at the time of sale, and verified,

The most salient point and why I, and without support sadly, was the lone voice advocating for BillVon to be captured and put to work on creating an accurate capacity meter. Fortunately, I'm a stoic.

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

FB friend took his Tesla to the drag strip.
Posted a pic of the time slip.

1/4 mile 8.755 ET, 157.28 mph.

The list of ICE cars that can do a sub-9 second quarter is very short.

Dayum! Wonder what it can do in the Texas Mile...

On 9/23/2022 at 4:14 PM, ryoder said:

Dayum! Wonder what it can do in the Texas Mile...

what is amazing is that is the Model S Plaid which is "only" around 130k.

On the other end of the price spectrum, Jay Leno recently had the Rimac Nevara on his youtube channel, a $2M electric car with 1900+ HP and a 1/4 mile time around 8.5s (probably tire traction limited too, so someone will throw some drag radials on it and go even lower)

All the other supercar manufacturers are realizing their fancy twin turbo V8s, V12s and V16s are obsolete.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:14 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

FB friend took his Tesla to the drag strip.
Posted a pic of the time slip.

1/4 mile 8.755 ET, 157.28 mph.

The list of ICE cars that can do a sub-9 second quarter is very short.

Another guy just turned in a 1/4 mile in a Plaid at 8.8 seconds and 162.55 mph.

https://news.speedsociety.com/the-worlds-fastest-tesla-model-s-plaid-cracks-8s/?fbclid=IwAR0jx4yZhlFd5vbIznTdbdeaMwZAoLcE2p6FOrtHE99mzZa2cDVvATdFchg

6 hours ago, kallend said:

Saw a nasty car fire on I-57 yesterday.  Wow, it wasn't an EV, it was a ICE powered vehicle.  They catch fire too?  Who knew?

Well, they have a bunch of gasoline on board.

You know that stuff is kinda flammable, don't you professor?

Fun fact: Internal combustion engines are not even 25% efficient at thermal efficiency. 
That is, much of the energy in gasoline is wasted as heat (or other things) in a car, rather than creating motion.
To get an understanding of how powerful (and potentially dangerous) gasoline is, figure out the fuel economy of a car. Then push that car FOUR TIMES that distance. 

That's what a gallon of gas can do.

4 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Fun fact: Internal combustion engines are not even 25% efficient at thermal efficiency.

The one exception is Atkinson cycle engines - those can hit 40%.  (That's the engine that the Prius and its derivatives use.)

On 9/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, billvon said:

Wait until he tries to tow something heavy.  Cue the "it will improve" crowd

12 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Wait until he tries to tow something heavy.  Cue the "it will improve" crowd

Gee a vehicle under load uses more energy than one without a load. Like a F-150 " I have a 2020 F150 with tow package and 2.7 econo boost. My tandem camper weighs 5k fully loaded. I am only getting 9 mpg,"

Ah the life of a GOP realtor. Commissions roll in, living on a hill above the flood zone. FOX 24/7.:D

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Wait until he tries to tow something heavy.  Cue the "it will improve" crowd.

So I watched the video.  Quick summary - 

Guy goes to pick up an antique car on a trailer with his electric truck.  He is 100% successful and gets the antique car back to his place safe and sound.  But the truck lost range faster than he expected.

So a successful pickup of an antique car is a "TOTAL DISASTER."  (Note all-caps.)   I bet that success ruined his weekend too.

Thanks for another example of the ridiculous hyperbole of the right wing.

• Like 3

(edited)
49 minutes ago, billvon said:

...Thanks for another example of the ridiculous hyperbole of the right wing.

For those that favor fact over b.s. Tesla's new semi has begun shipping this month.

"If you look at average fuel prices and use the website for U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), you can see about how much it costs for a trip for a diesel truck on a highway per gallon of diesel fuel. This ends up being about $4.99.

If you use a distance of 200 miles, you can do a calculation with a miles per gallon around 6 and come up with about 34 gallons (at 5.9 miles per gallon). This is simply for the average diesel truck.

With some simple math, you can take 34 gallons * $4.99, which is $169.76 for the cost of fuel for that diesel truck. This equals about 85 cents per mile. The Tesla semi, which is an electric truck, can take that same load and move it 200 miles. With electricity, you must think about it differently.

We can use a 2 kWh per mile usage for the Tesla Semi even though Tesla says the energy consumption is less than that. This will make calculating more simple. If you take 200 miles * 2 kWh per mile, you get a total of 400 kWh consumed. Tesla can also provide an energy cost of about 7 center per kWh.

You can then take that 400 kWh * $0.07 per kWh which equals $28 total for the 200 mile drive. This is about 14 cents per mile. With this you get:

* A diesel truck trip at 200 miles is $169.76* A Tesla semi truck trip at 200 miles is $28.00

This is a savings of about 83% and the Tesla semi will have less wear and tear on its brakes, less maintenance due to having no engine and oil changes, along with being a source of clean energy."

Edited by Phil1111