1 1
billvon

How EV's ruined my weekend

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

You can then take that 400 kWh * $0.07 per kWh which equals $28 total for the 200 mile drive. This is about 14 cents per mile. With this you get:

I am not saying an electric truck is not more economical.  Please explain where the $0.07 comes from.  Does it include the KWH charge, delivery charge, meter charge, demand charge, taxes and other fees.

My small operation is deemed commercial so I am billed for a demand charge and it amounts to almost 1/2 my electric bill.

6 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

My small operation is deemed commercial so I am billed for a demand charge and it amounts to almost 1/2 my electric bill.

I had it explained best to me that the demand charge is that which is required to maintain the infrastructure for a population size that is served, with enough buffer. That infrastructure includes all equipment and maintenance (including planning for major replacements). Also costs of upgrading etc. Why does he have to pay for it when he's not using it? Well, because it's there (and expected to be) if his solar panels are damaged, or if his power needs increase beyond his ability to generate, and if new population grows faster than they can absorbe easily

Larger generally means more complex, because more eventualities have to be taken into account when there's more individual people, businesses, institutions, etc. to contend with, along with weather.

Wendy P.

Wendy P.

4 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

I am not saying an electric truck is not more economical.  Please explain where the $0.07 comes from.  Does it include the KWH charge, delivery charge, meter charge, demand charge, taxes and other fees.

Demand charges are set by either your maximum power draw or by when you use power.  Often they are broken out into demand charges (set by maximum consumption) and time-of-use charges (set by when you use power.)

Reducing your peak demand (via storage, or via energy management systems, or via efficiency improvements) will reduce demand charges, and charging at night will reduce TOU prices.

• Like 1

My demand charge is based on the maximum KW or current draw each month, not the total electric use or KWH.  For example, when my water pump starts on my air compressor starts, there is a momentary surge in KW or current draw.  For me, that usually runs about 6KW.  I pay about $10 per KW each month so 6 X $10 = $60 per month on top of the actual KWH usage for the month or $720 per year.  My total monthly electric bill runs about $130 per month.  This is all because I am a commercial account.  The electric company told me the only way I can eliminate the demand charge is go 12 months and not exceed 1 KW which is impossible.  My house is a residential account and there is no demand charge so when the water pump or our air conditioner starts and there is a peak KW, I am not charged.  Most 3 bedroom homes with 4 occupants use more electricity each month than my operation.

3 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

My demand charge is based on the maximum KW or current draw each month, not the total electric use or KWH.

Right.  Lower your maximum and your demand charge goes down.

when my water pump starts on my air compressor starts, there is a momentary surge in KW or current draw.  

Exactly.  And if those two things never happened at the same time, your peak would go down.   If every time your water pump started your other loads kicked off, your peak would go down.  If you had battery storage that ensured that those peaks were not seen by the utility, your peak would go down.

The electric company told me the only way I can eliminate the demand charge is go 12 months and not exceed 1 KW which is impossible.  

Do you use more than 24kwhr a day?  Then it's impossible.  If you do not exceed 24 kwhr/day, then it is very possible.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:20 PM, Bigfalls said:

Yeah, that sounds low. My residential doesn't have a demand charge, but we had a "ready-to-serve" / infrastructure charge that is $0.06 per kWh, making my overnight cost a total of $0.13 per kWh, there are some small other fees added on top of that as well.

50 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

Yeah, that sounds low. My residential doesn't have a demand charge, but we had a "ready-to-serve" / infrastructure charge that is $0.06 per kWh, making my overnight cost a total of $0.13 per kWh, there are some small other fees added on top of that as well.

BC Residential rate (converted from CAD to USD) is $0.07/kWh for first 1,350 kWh in an average two month billing period (22.1918kWh per day).

It is $0.10 after that.

(But that doesn't take into account a $0.15 per day minimum charge, a $0.046 per day regional transit levy and 5% tax on the total bill.)

23 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

And for the fast car folks:  German students' car breaks world record for fastest-accelerating electric car : NPR

That ought to get some young people interested.

Jerry Baumchen

You have to install a stereo system and speakers in the rear of the car so you get that exhaust noise from the acceleration and shifting. Otherwise it's just not the same.

39 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

You have to install a stereo system and speakers in the rear of the car so you get that exhaust noise from the acceleration and shifting. Otherwise it's just not the same.

Hi Big,

You are correct.  A few yrs ago, I was reading about an increase in parking lot accidents between pedestrians & EV cars.  The walkers simply did not hear the EV as it was backing out of a parking space.

More things to adjust to; c'est la vie.

Jerry Baumchen

21 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

EVs in the US at least now have to have noisemakers if they’re going less than 20-25 mph; they also have to have backup beepers now.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/07/13/2022-14733/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-minimum-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

There’s always a bonus for actual data…

I will say the backup beeper on my car is abusively loud, and it’s on the front (not rear) bumper. I’m getting good at getting out of the garage with a single beep; and then coasting. There are houses all around the garage, and it echoes…

Wendy P. 

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I will say the backup beeper on my car is abusively loud, and it’s on the front (not rear) bumper. I’m getting good at getting out of the garage with a single beep; and then coasting. There are houses all around the garage, and it echoes…

They make CAN tools to fix that . . .

(edited)
16 hours ago, wmw999 said:

There’s always a bonus for actual data…

Wendy P. 

That reminds me of something a friend told me years ago.  He worked for a company that had fork lifts in a large building and they had back up horns.  One agency regulation said they had to be a minimum or "X" decibels and another agency said they could not exceed "X" decibels.  What they did is stuff a rag in the horns and depending what agency came to inspect, they would leave the rag in the horn or pull it out.

Edited by Bigfalls

How EVs ruined this trucker's weekend:

We've all heard about how much EV's suck and how they can't tow.

This Rivian driver noticed a semi that slid off an icy highway and got stuck in the mud.  Fortunately he had a towstrap, and pulled the 38,000 lb truck out of the mud before he continued on his merry way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYl3QiCJVqs

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 12:13 AM, billvon said:

How EVs ruined this trucker's weekend:

We've all heard about how much EV's suck and how they can't tow.

This Rivian driver noticed a semi that slid off an icy highway and got stuck in the mud.  Fortunately he had a towstrap, and pulled the 38,000 lb truck out of the mud before he continued on his merry way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYl3QiCJVqs

Something tells me his warranty is now void if Rivian sees this.