Tenshi

Does anyone ever pull their reserve before repack?

Mind...I don't mean during freefall. I just mean before you take it in for a repack you just testpull it on the ground to see if it opens (well...the first part anyway)

Because I heard a story here on DZ of a guy who took in his reserve and decided to pull it just for the hell of it. The thing didn't do shit because of a lead seal. It doesn't matter what it was for this discussion so don't go there. Let's just say the rigger made a mistake.

Now I would think it to be a damn good idea to pull your reserve every time you take it in, just to see if the rigger is doing his job. No?

(disclaimer: I don't know anything about reserves)

i do but not to see if my rigger screwed up, but to practice EPs. in fact, our rigger usually asks us to put the rig on and pull the handles in sequence before he takes the rig for the repack. good for muscle memory i am told.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

It's a great idea.

I just dumped two of mine over the past two days prior to packing them. It always amazes me how little pull force is required, especially given how damn tough it was to get the pin in 120 days earlier!

If you are going to pull the reserve rip cord (and cutaway handle) it's best to do it with your rigger standing nearby so he can see his handiwork. That also helps control all the material and parts so they don't get dirty or lost between your house and the loft.

Another cool idea is to watch the rigger pack your reserve. This needs to be coordinated with the rigger so it fits his schedule. A good rigger will be happy to talk you through the process and show you how it all gets inspected and packed. Most folks are really surprised at how much effort and time go into a 120 day inspection/repack, and after watching have more appreciation for their rigger.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I always either pull the handles myself or let a newbie pull my handles while an AFF instructor observes (since they don't usually have a rig of their own yet to do so) just before handing it to my rigger. I like to give the newbies a chance to practice their EP's on a rig that they will actually pull the cutaway cables and reserve pin on, not just a pillow and a handle as on the practice rigs. I've had 3 cutaways in the last 2 years, so I'm comfortable with practicing my EP's without pulling every time I board the plane, but I like to see my reserve p/c come out every 120 days because I did have a reserve total (rigger error) on the ground early in my skydiving career.

It's generally a good idea, as long as you have a safe place to put the rig after you open the reserve (i.e. a big gear bag = good, the trunk of your car = not so good.)

I've done this quite often, and seen it done a lot. I've seen a few 50+ pound pulls; that can be an important thing to discover on the ground, rather than in the air.

I see. So people do it all the time.

I did have a reserve total (rigger error) on the ground early in my skydiving career.

Yes that's why I would like to become a rigger once I start skydiving. Pack my own reserve. But from what I hear, it would make my reserve packs REAAAAALLLYY expensive if I became a rigger just to pack my own reserve...

Most folks are really surprised at how much effort and time go into a 120 day inspection/repack, and after watching have more appreciation for their rigger.

Absolutely. I still distinctly remember the first time I watched a rigger pack a reserve. Compared to packing a main...the care, the slow, meticulous attention to detail...it was almost a religious experience.

Yes that's why I would like to become a rigger once I start skydiving. Pack my own reserve. But from what I hear, it would make my reserve packs REAAAAALLLYY expensive if I became a rigger just to pack my own reserve...

Not really. Getting a rigging ticket can cost a few hundred dollars to a bit over $1,000, plus about 50.00 to as much as a couple of hundred dollars for basic gear.

If a single repack costs $60.00 now, and you need three of them a year, that's $180 per year to repack just one rig. At that rate, the rigging certificate should pay for itself in two to six years.

Of course the cost of pack jobs may be higher in your area now, and it will probably go up over the next few years. Plus, if you are jumping a lot, you will probably add another rig, so you may be paying for five or six repacks a year. With all that to consider, a rigging certificate is a pretty good investment from a financial perspective. Plus it gives you knowledge about your gear. On top of that, it just makes life easier if you don't need to schedule a drop off time and pick up time for your rig, and if you are doing it yourself your rigs should always be in date without too much worry.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I encourage my customers to pull it before their repack. Especially if they've never even seen their reserve before. I'll let anyone watch me do their repack too. And if it's not convenient for them to watch me, i'll take pics. It's not the same, but some people like having digital pics of their reserve in the various stages of the repack.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

If you are going to pull your reserve, you should pull the lead seal off first.

I have pulled as many as 6 seals out of the backpad of rigs the first time I repacked them. I dont know if it coould do any damage but its just plain sloppy.

And always try to time the pull with an unaware passerby in the way.:P

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I want my customers to pull their reserve. But with me there. I want to look at the reserve before it's open so I can see if the loop looks too long, if the bulk distribution needs to be adjusted, to see the general condition of the pack job. Also I prefer to have it opened in front of me so I can see the function, see the pull force, know that it hasn't been abused after opening, etc. If the pull seems to be hard for the customer then I'll check it with a scale. Better to do this in front of the rigger than at home or the DZ, through it in the trunk, give it to the rigger and say "Hey dude, the pull seemed awfully hard." I won't know what that means.

I also have a suspended trainer and a customer can hang in their rig when they pull it if they want. I'm usually shaking the shit out of them too.;)

Customers are welcome to watch, but they actually get a better job if they don't. I'm not distracted by questions or under pressure to get it done while they wait. I told this to one customer they promptly said "I'll just watch you pack somebody elses.":D:D:D

If you don't see your rigger face to face and still want to pull it, try to have notice if the reserve loop is too long. If you don't know ask someone more experienced. Let the rigger know or leave a note. Pull it somewhere carpeted with someone controlling the rig so the bag doesn't fall out. I think I'd prefer you leave it in the bag so I can still see to some extent what the pack job looked like. It also protects the reserve some. If you take it out of the bag besure you don't lose the safety stow.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

i do but not to see if my rigger screwed up, but to practice EPs.

in fact, our rigger usually asks us to put the rig on and pull the handles in sequence before he takes the rig for the repack. good for muscle memory i am told

]

EXACTLY!! I do the same thing, have EVERY TIME

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Yep, I think that'd be called a BASE jumper...they pull their reserve every time. :ph34r:(Forgive me: I'm in a mood):P

You really are in a mood. That ALMOST makes sense, but, not quite. :D.

I prefer to have the owner put their rig, tighten it up, then pull all the handles in order, real time, and do it like it matters.

It often fixes any cutaway procedure problems should they have one. If the user grabs and pulls straight outward resisting the Velcro ™, they're in for a surprise.

When practicing emergency procedures, one should practice the peel motion as well. Peel punch ... etc.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Sometimes. I did it a few times at the riggers' loft so I could leave the rig there and not have to lug it around. I also pulled my reserve in the air a few times, with an extra reserve of course. Usually now I just hand in the rig packed.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

just to see if the rigger is doing his job. No?

Other and valid reasons for pulling reserve at a repack are given above. I really can't see that this is a valid one - riggers do make errors like anyone else but I imagine the % is very small - I mean I can't imagine any rigger out there is more consistently packing mals than not. So doing it for that reason doesn't really mean anything - there is a chance that the one in whatever (presumably very slim) probability has happened on that repack but equally it may happen on the next one he does for you - what would be nice would be some way of finding out AFTER the repack and before you have to use it, if something has gone wrong.

btw I really don't understand the "because of a lead seal" bit but then I am a newbie - where would a seal have to be to prevent the container opening?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I encourage my customers to pull it before their repack. Especially if they've never even seen their reserve before. I'll let anyone watch me do their repack too. And if it's not convenient for them to watch me, i'll take pics. It's not the same, but some people like having digital pics of their reserve in the various stages of the repack.

I do the same. If they bring it in packed, I ask them to go through the pull sequence - throw the PC, simulate a check, then cut away and pull. Sometimes, I'll grab their shoulder and shake them if they've done it a few times already.
Scars remind us that the past is real

The thing didn't do shit because of a lead seal.

OH MY GOD !! I just checked, and there's a lead seal on my reserve. :o:o:o I'm going to get to the bottom of this !!
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...