4 4
brenthutch

May’s Global Temperature coldest in 9 years

13 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I look at the whole internet and I think to myself: "Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in touch with every other idiot?"

-- P.J. O'Rourke

Agree. I used to think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I haven't been to a library in 15 years. Now its equally a conduit for stupidity.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

- Obama and Biden planned 9/11

He knows that Obama was a 5th year State Senator in 2001, right? He was working on welfare reform in Illinois. Imagine how good he must be to have persuaded a 3 decade veteran of the US Senate to join him in the greatest international criminal conspiracy ever? At some point you just have to support a guy like that who knows how to win.

21 minutes ago, jakee said:

He knows that Obama was a 5th year State Senator in 2001, right? He was working on welfare reform in Illinois. Imagine how good he must be to have persuaded a 3 decade veteran of the US Senate to join him in the greatest international criminal conspiracy ever? At some point you just have to support a guy like that who knows how to win.

While the conversation is ongoing its hard to concentrate on what exactly he was saying. Because after the explanation for one conspiracy. I'd begin to think "wow is this guy ever wacked out", "how can anyone believe something so impossible", then "I got things to do today, I've got to get the hell outa here".

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Agree. I used to think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I haven't been to a library in 15 years. Now its equally a conduit for stupidity.

Many people still haven't figured out that information, knowledge and understanding are not all the same thing.

57 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Many people still haven't figured out that information, knowledge and understanding are not all the same thing.

Information is power. And it now seems that misinformation is also power. Who knew? I mean besides Goebbels and the like.

16 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Information is only power if it either is true, or perceived to be true.

During the days of the Evil Empire, an interviewer asked various Soviet citizens whether what Pravda and Izvestia reported was true.  The universal reaction was guffaws and scoffing, effectively 'of course not, everyone knows it is bullshit.'

If you then asked the same people 'gee, have you heard about the train wreck outside of Vladivostok?' they would quote verbatim the story posted by Pravda and/or Izvestia.

Religion is contingent upon the principle of "Credo quia absurdum." 

Science is more along the lines of "dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum."

BSBD,

Winsor 

4 hours ago, winsor said:

During the days of the Evil Empire, an interviewer asked various Soviet citizens whether what Pravda and Izvestia reported was true.  The universal reaction was guffaws and scoffing, effectively 'of course not, everyone knows it is bullshit.'

If you then asked the same people 'gee, have you heard about the train wreck outside of Vladivostok?' they would quote verbatim the story posted by Pravda and/or Izvestia....

Where the rubber meets the road in that thinking. Is how more and more Americans don't trust government. How less and less trust politicians.

High levels of education and income are associated with higher levels of trust in other people and also with higher trust in the government

spacer.png

So you throw organizations like FOX and Rupert Murdoch into the equation that exploit the uneducated. trump and his GOP gang who play upon the uneducated persons distrust of government. Voila America today.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:51 AM, winsor said:

So is this "Credo quia Absurdum" or "dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum?"

1 hour ago, Slim King said:

Here's a great graph!!!!!!! It is just of the last century or so but it shows the fluctuation ... Now go back 200,000,000 years and see ... It shows an even greater fluctuation ... It's natural.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 9.35.06 PM.png

So that’s just the US? And it’s average maximum temperature, not average temperature?

1 minute ago, murps2000 said:

So that’s just the US? And it’s average maximum temperature, not average temperature?

Shhhhhh....he found a graph and now he thinks he's doing Science....Just let him have his fun and paste his links to Rumble.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slim King said:

No ice caps are melting any more than normal.

How do you define "normal" in this sentence. Since the dawn of the Earth? Since the separation of Godwanaland into the continents as we know them now? Since the end (or start) of the ice age? Right after the meteor struck 65 million years ago?

Do you include the possibility of prehistoric human life in the "normal" range? Or do you only include your likely future lifespan and wallet contents?

Wendy P.

12 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Great question!!!!!!! As you can see the topic is fluctuation. There is no abnormal fluxuation. There is no Crisis. I graduated in 1972 and the Ice Caps are just about the exact same size now. That's an entire lifetime of fluctuation. Name someone who has died because the Ice caps melted and drown them. I'll wait.

Where’s the graph showing that?

55 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Great question!!!!!!! As you can see the topic is fluctuation. There is no abnormal fluxuation. There is no Crisis.

Tell that to the thousands who died during the heat wave.  Tell their families that the record-breaking heat was just a "normal fluctuation." Tell them that their deaths are not a crisis.

The reason that people like you will fail - miserably - is that it's no longer an academic pursuit.  People can look out their windows and see the wildfires.  People can look at the funeral homes and see the dead.  People can look at their homes and see the flooding. 

Sure, there's a sucker born every minute, and you can probably fool a lot of them into thinking that their dead relatives are perfectly normal.  They would have died anyway!  Heck, houses get washed away all the time.  It's always this hot!  But as Lincoln was misquoted as saying, "You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.” 

And your time is up.

================

Climate Change Remains Top Global Threat Across 19-Country Survey]

People see UN favorably and believe ‘common values’ are more important for bringing nations together than ‘common problems’

. .  Among the many threats facing the globe, climate change stands out as an especially strong concern among citizens in advanced economies, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. A median of 75% across 19 countries in North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region label global climate change as a major threat.

===================

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2022/08/31/climate-change-remains-top-global-threat-across-19-country-survey/

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Tell that to the thousands who died during the heat wave.  Tell their families that the record-breaking heat was just a "normal fluctuation." Tell them that their deaths are not a crisis.

The reason that people like you will fail - miserably - is that it's no longer an academic pursuit.  People can look out their windows and see the wildfires.  People can look at the funeral homes and see the dead.  People can look at their homes and see the flooding. 

Tell it to Alaskans who can see their buildings subsiding and roads collapsing due to melting permafrost, and their glaciers retreating.

8 hours ago, Slim King said:

Great question!!!!!!! As you can see the topic is fluctuation. There is no abnormal fluxuation. There is no Crisis. I graduated in 1972 and the Ice Caps are just about the exact same size now. That's an entire lifetime of fluctuation. Name someone who has died because the Ice caps melted and drown them. I'll wait.

Im glad you consider them to be great questions. Are you going to answer them?

Wendy P. 

10 hours ago, Slim King said:

I like it when the lies are exposed.

You mean like when one finds out that "Tony Heller" (your source in the link) is really Steven Goddard? You know, the guy who had to retract his entire article on arctic ice receding back in 2008, Tony Heller? Why would a guy with his supposed credentials lie about who he really is? 

20 hours ago, Slim King said:

The point is simple.... Earths temperature is always in flux.

Literally no one claims otherwise. This is an obvious and known fact.

The rate of change is what's unprecedented. Show me data from the past, that shows an equal or greater change in average global temperature over a century, than we've had in the last century. Good luck!

19 hours ago, Slim King said:

Just because people think it is doesn't make it so.  The heatwaves of the 1930's were far worse than anything we have now. In fact, death from these situations has dropped 95% in the last 100 years. I love FACTS!!!!!

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 1.18.30 AM.png

Those people who died in the heatwaves of the 1930s were idiots. They should have used their air conditioning like we do now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Simply go to Daytona beach and look at it ... Then get a photo of Daytona beach 100 years ago... No discernible difference in the coast line.

So let's do that.  We don't even have to go back 100 years, let's just go back 60.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/fl-op-edit-daytona-beach-volusia-county-shrinking-rising-seas-20191213-ixmk3rypcnhsxlgxbupw73zora-story.html

Looks like you are, once again, a victim of right wing misinformation.

daytona.jpg

• Like 1