jheadley

Pilot chute uncocked, repack it in the plane?

I was on a jump at Dublin where a guy got a pin check in the plane and the guy checking it said he couldn't see color in his pilot chute window. They showed it to the organizer and he pulled about 2 inches of kill line out and he still couldn't see any color. The guy decided to ride the plane down, which was a good choice, but he asked if it could be repacked in the plane. People said he couldn't but I thought I could have at least pulled out the pilot chute and manually tested it, then repacked it quickly. Popping the pin, cocking the pc, closing the container and repacking the pilot chute may have not been possible, but just just pulling out the pc, seeing if it will catch air, and the packing it again I think could definitely be done. Is this just something that should never be done in a plane?

This was in a CASA that was a little over half-full, and the problem was actually found around 7000 feet (we exited at 15000)

Also, one guy kept yelling at him, "Turn your CYPRES off! It'll fire when you ride the plane down! Turn it off!"

Will that actually happen? I can see if he had a student CYPRES or an FXC he may want to do that, but a regular CYPRES I know fires at 750 feet at 78mph, and I really don't think a plane has a vertical descent rate of 78 mph at 750 feet, it'd be about 4 seconds from impact. I'm not a pilot but I think at 750 feet a CASA would be leveled out and gently descending in it's landing pattern.

I've had the same thing happen to me in a skyvan.
One of the instructors took me all the way in the front (behind the pilot), checked the PC (the color had faded) and repacked it. No delay, no mess, no riding the plane down.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

The PC could have been pulled out and tested. I have seen it done. Keep the door closed and I dont think you would have a problem.

And I dont think an expert cypres would fire in a normal decent in a jump plane. Like you said, I dont think a pilot is going to have 78mph downward speed at 750 feet.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Not recommended; it's a bad idea in general to be in a jump plane with a rig you can't safely jump. It also puts you at greater risk for an open container.

If you must check it:

1. Do not get between other skydivers and the door. Go far away from the door, and make sure you have room to move about.

2. Make sure the door stays closed.

BTW expert cypreses rarely fire in an aircraft even during rapid descents - and most jump planes are not descending fast at 700 feet.

Standard practice when riding one down for whatever reason is to let the pilot know you have an armed cypress, they can avoid any close calls.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I've had the same thing happen to me in a skyvan.
One of the instructors took me all the way in the front (behind the pilot), checked the PC (the color had faded) and repacked it. No delay, no mess, no riding the plane down.

The color on the kill line is an AID, it's an ink mark on a line. Mine has run so badly that I don't even look for it anymore, I've tried making a new mark and it just doesn't seem to work. Look at the PILOT CHUTE when you pack, if the kill line is longer than the p/c center lines and you can wave the thing around and inflate it, then it's good. Then if somebody tells you they can't see the ink mark, you can tell them you KNOW it's good. Another reason I don't allow strangers to fuck with my gear on the plane.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The K-line also stretches a bit over the course of numerous jumps and the ink usually fades too, so the marking moves away from the "eye" and is not visible as well anymore.
Simply take a marker pen at the start of the season and refresh the thing.
Keep as many checkpoints you can have that your rig works because you never know when you might pass on one. Redundancy rules!
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

The K-line also stretches a bit over the course of numerous jumps and the ink usually fades too, so the marking moves away from the "eye" and is not visible as well anymore.

Actually, the kill line shortens over time due to friction (just like brake lines) so periodic checking and remarking is a good idea. Eventually the line may shorten so much that the pilot chute produces less drag, at which point you should replace the kill line.

As mentioned above, a functional test of the pilot chute during packing/before boarding is the best way to asssure that it is cocked.

I check my pc 3 times, once i cock it. after lines are stowed on d-bag, and then right before i fold it and put it away. * i check to see that it inflates rather than the little blue line. thats the way i was shown to do it and they way i like it. I can't always see the color, but i know it is good. .. if not... well, then i better know how to use the reserve.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

One time I had to ride the plane down because the winds were too high and the instructors freaked out on the plane because my cypress was on and turned it off as well....

A Student Cypres does need to be turned off riding a plane down. An Expert Cypres does not...although it dosen't hurt anything.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Bad form to open a container on a plane. However, with appropriate safety measures taking a PC out of a pouch and testing it and then repacking the PC is acceptable…IMHO.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

>>fan of midair rigging or packing<<

WFFC 2005: I hit the inside of the CASA on the way out, but no blood no foul.

A friend of mine from my home dz takes sidebody grips on my right side on the second point of the dive.

There is a lot of jostling going on over there, but I assume that there are just some rough docks going on.

We land, and a couple of people from the jump say "HOLY SH!T! You were having a premature, and the guy docked on you caught your pc as it left and stuffed it back in the pouch!"

Basically, when my pc was about halfway out, he saw it flapping in his face and shoved it back in.

That was probably not the best way to handle it, but he said on the ground that he did not even think; he just stuck it in, verified that the hacky was clear, and shook the grips for the next point.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

surely to turn off an expert cypress on most rigs youd have to take the rig off? dont think id be happy doing that

Some rigs have the control under the top reserve flap, such as the Infinity and Vector.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

surely to turn off an expert cypress on most rigs youd have to take the rig off? dont think id be happy doing that

In Thailand they had to turn off all the AAD's when goin down with the plane (after pressurization problems). If you shrug out of your rig a bit usually someone else can turn the AAD on or off if it's on your back. Except for the one Vigil the guy couldn't rightly see and turned it back ON again, result, poof. So maybe getting out of the rig would've been smarter here...

We also had an Argus for testing/datalogging purposes that was in the lead pocket of a Javelin. So when peeps were turning each others AAD off, Henny just grabbed behind his back and pulled the Argus out, wires cutter and all. "Here, it's turned off now!" "But but but but .... You are not supposed to do that!!!!!" :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No.

If I am the only person riding the plane down with an active Cypres, I won't be able to turn it off without taking off my rig. Mine's located under the top of the reserve flap (Vector2 container.)

On a related note. I feel that my biggest and stupidest mistake I've ever made in skydiving is forgetting to turn the Cypres on at 8:00am during a rushed 20-way attempt. I was red with embarassment when the pilot waited an additional 10 seconds at the end of the runway until a fellow skydiver turned it on for me. (I was the one who remembered and told the fellow skydiver, just as the plane was taxiing to the runway). Yeah, everyone on the CASA noticed. Lesson learned by public humilation [:/]

If I am the only person riding the plane down with an active Cypres, I won't be able to turn it off without taking off my rig. Mine's located under the top of the reserve flap (Vector2 container.)

In my opinion, the other popular location, on the backpad, is even less accessible. You would still have to take your rig off, and it is harder for another jumper to get to it. The other disadvantage of the backpad location is the extra abuse it gets, always against the floor.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I forgot to turn mine on in florida didnt remember it wasnt armed untill 10k. I told my coach and he ask me if i wanted to ride the plane down.I told him no just letting him know. got my first dock that jump yah!!!

The BSRs say that a student needs "a functional automatic activation device that meets the manufacturer's recommended service schedule" on all jumps.

I forgot to turn mine on in florida didnt remember it wasnt armed untill 10k. I told my coach and he ask me if i wanted to ride the plane down.I told him no just letting him know. got my first dock that jump yah!!!

The BSRs say that a student needs "a functional automatic activation device that meets the manufacturer's recommended service schedule" on all jumps.

isn't the instructor or coach supposed to do an equipment check of the student as well? Or is that just until the student is cleared for self supervised freefall/

Opinion here too: If you didn't bother to check the pilot chute before folding and stowing it (below), then why trust someone else to pull the thing, recock it (and thus maybe pulling a bit of canopy into the loop in the bag), and then restow it without causing another problem like a PC in tow.......

Don't get into the scenario - check the thing while packing. Use packers (if you are so inclined) that do the same thing.

(after the pin is inserted, give the bridle a yank to pull the PC through the air and see if the PC inflates and makes a nice popping sound)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants