4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

(edited)
8 hours ago, DougH said:

This used to be a interesting thread about current developments in the war.

I have to say that the trolls ability to shit all over almost every single topic in this forum is impressive. Not impressive in a good way, but still impressive.

Good point.

Today the head of GCHQ (UK version of NSA) gave a rare public speech and in part of it said that Russia was running out of (some) ammunition and other resources. Now they're wasting scores of precision guided cruise missiles that cost 5 to 15 million dollars each (let alone the cost of flying the Tu-160 sorties and repositioning the destroyers that fire them) for no military benefit at all. They tried to shock and awe Ukraine like this in the first month of the war but gradually stopped when they realised it wasn't working.

Either we're still underestimating their resources or Putin and his new butcher in chief have completely lost the plot. During the Battle of Britain in WW2 RAF fighter defenses were on the verge of collapse when a small bomber force was sent to hit Berlin in a symbolic attack. Hitler was so enraged he ordered the Luftwaffe to start bombing London and other cities instead of airfields and radar towers and the RAF was able to rebuild. As horrible as it is for those in Ukrainian cities I wonder if Putin is making a similar mistake.

Edited by jakee

(edited)
25 minutes ago, jakee said:

Good point.

Today the head of GCHQ (UK version of NSA) gave a rare public speech and in part of it said that Russia was running out of (some) ammunition and other resources. Now they're wasting scores of precision guided cruise missiles that cost 5 to 15 million dollars each (let alone the cost of flying the Tu-160 sorties and repositioning the destroyers that fire them) for no military benefit at all. They tried to shock and awe Ukraine like this in the first month of the war but gradually stopped when they realised it wasn't working.

Either we're still underestimating their resources or Putin and his new butcher in chief have completely lost the plot. During the Battle of Britain in WW2 RAF fighter defenses were on the verge of collapse when a small bomber force was sent to hit Berlin in a symbolic attack. Hitler was so enraged he ordered the Luftwaffe to start bombing London and other cities instead of airfields and radar towers and the RAF was able to rebuild. As horrible as it is for those in Ukrainian cities I wonder if Putin is making a similar mistake.

Hi jakee,

Looks like he might have made a BIG mistake:  NATO pivots to sending Ukraine air defenses after Russian missile attacks - POLITICO

If Ukraine takes out a bunch of those Tu-160's, he might even think so himself.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

5 hours ago, Slim King said:

We played all the punk and gay bars that surrounded that area. Back when REAL Diversity ruled. The culture was much better. The area did fundraisers all the time for the homeless and street kids. We played at many of them

No you didn't. You were a child then. Or are these posts the truth and the old ones were the lies? 

Just now, Slim King said:

I'm not sure what you are on about. Be a little more specific when calling me a liar will ya.......

When you bragged about your multiple divorces, you gave figures around how long at least one of them had gone for and the ages that you'd started dating each of your wives. Based on that, you could at most be in your late 40's.

I don't much care if you were lying then or if you're lying now. What's plain as day for literally everyone is that you're capable of very little more than posting propaganda and then lying about your positions.

Don't you want more purpose in life?

1 minute ago, Slim King said:

I never said I was in my late 40's.... That's a lie.

And I never said that you said it. I said you gave information, that could mathematically be used to calculate your rough possible age. If the numbers you gave were inaccurate, then the calculated age would be off.

Suggesting that I said anything other than this - when my words are there in black and white - is, ironically, another lie from you.

3 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Get over yourself already!!!!!! If you are bad at math I'll forgive you. I have an older son who is 36 and a daughter 27.

And another much younger son, who's super advanced and a year ahead at grade school. Wait, you didn't already forget about your other fictional child did you? It can be hard tracking so many lies, it's understandable you'll slip up every now and then.

5 minutes ago, Slim King said:

I'm old and semi-retired but I've just started my Movie career. This is Palm Reading season so I'll be extremely busy but I'm working on a D B Cooper screenplay and I have business here. However I can't resist talking to the warmongers.

Ложитесь спать товарищ, уже очень поздно.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:23 AM, Slim King said:

Russia was playing Nicey Nice ... Now they will go for Zelenski. You can't poke a bear and expect him to do nothing.

Interested to hear more of your predictions about this conflict, and also check back on these in a few months.

Back in February The Hundredth Monkey was saying it would be over in days. Then after that he was saying "Russia has stopped playing nice now, watch out" for the past several months.

3 hours ago, Slim King said:

I hate to say I was CORRECT again!!! Rolling Blackouts in Ukraine as the Bear continues to destroy the power plants. I told you so!!!! Russia was playing Nicey Nice and you poked the Bear.... Now he's going to do everything I told you he hadn't done before.

First you’re simply wrong because he has done this before. Second, what you’ve said above is unbelievably disgusting even for you. Prosecuting an unjustified war of choice isn’t playing nice. Besieging and carpet bombing towns and cities isn’t playing nice. Abducting, murdering and torturing hundreds and thousands of people in the territory you’ve captured isn’t playing nice. Forcibly emigrating children into Russia and forcibly conscripting men into the army to fight against their homeland isn’t playing nice. For someone who claims to be anti war you sure do spend a lot of time justifying some fucking evil things.

Well, that’s it. Like your monkey friend you’re just too horrible be worth talking to.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, jakee said:

First you’re simply wrong because he has done this before. Second, what you’ve said above is unbelievably disgusting even for you. Prosecuting an unjustified war of choice isn’t playing nice. Besieging and carpet bombing towns and cities isn’t playing nice. Abducting, murdering and torturing hundreds and thousands of people in the territory you’ve captured isn’t playing nice. Forcibly emigrating children into Russia and forcibly conscripting men into the army to fight against their homeland isn’t playing nice. For someone who claims to be anti war you sure do spend a lot of time justifying some fucking evil things.

Well, that’s it. Like your monkey friend you’re just too horrible be worth talking to.

I didn't think it was possible to piss off Jakee too much to engage. Now that's a stretch goal.

Wendy P.

(edited)
4 hours ago, olofscience said:

Interested to hear more of your predictions about this conflict, and also check back on these in a few months.

Back in February The Hundredth Monkey was saying it would be over in days. Then after that he was saying "Russia has stopped playing nice now, watch out" for the past several months.

The Hundredth Monkey must be a booth or two away from Slim.

In other news there are now just over 50 countries supplying Ukraine with free weapons.

Edited by Phil1111

21 hours ago, Slim King said:

" ... and all those free Biden crack pipes. ... "

Please don't blame President Biden for crack pipes.

Crack was a major problem long before Biden got elected Vice-President.

Conspiracy theorists will tell you that the CIA introduced crack to Los Angles many decades ago as a means to oppress the black population.

I struggled with the whole concept of supervised injection sites when I moved to a suburb of Vancouver, Canada more than 20 years ago. Then I drove a city bus through the dilapidated Downtown East Side for a few years. I started with a conservative attitude towards street drugs, but my attitude changed as I learned more about addiction. Many times I saw ambulances in front of the Portland Hotel. That experience convinced me that supervised injection sites are a good idea. 

Yes, many tight-assed, morally upright citizens see drug addiction as a moral weakness. But, a small percentage (maybe 5 or 10 percent) of addicts are so emotionally or physically damaged that they will never be able to hold a steady job. They self-medicate with alcohol or marijuana or hashish or heroin or crack or .... I should know because I was a drunk for 20 years.

After X-number of years of consuming street drugs, their minds are fried and they can barely function. They can only function in a gov't subsidized neighborhood with flop houses, single-room-occupancy hotels, warming centers, soup kitchens, supervised injections sites, etc. Vancouver's DTES is less violent - than many major American cities - because homeless addicts do not have to compete for scarce food, lodging, etc. Brown nuns, Mennonites, Portland Hotel Society, Sikhs, Union Gospel Mission, United Church of Canada, etc. all provide charity to the down-on-their-luck, homeless. Supervised injection sites are a public health matter, similar to regular health checks for prostitutes. ... and plenty of addicts in Vancouver's DTES turn tricks to support their drug habits. Public health nurses offer their services to prostitutes to limit the spread of AIDS, crabs, goneria, HIV, hepatitus, herpes, lice, syphillus, etc. to the general public who only venture into the DTES for a "bit of fun" on the weekend.

Bottom line, offering free crack pipes is a short-term solution to a long-term problem with mental health. Until the developed world provides mental health support - to the bulk of their populations, right-wing critics have no right to criticize those medical professionals who hand out clean needles or clean crack pipes.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

After X-number of years of consuming street drugs, their minds are fried and they can barely function. They can only function in a gov't subsidized neighborhood with flop houses, single-room-occupancy hotels, warming centers, soup kitchens, supervised injections sites, etc. Vancouver's DTES is less violent - than many major American cities - because homeless addicts do not have to compete for scarce food, lodging, etc. Brown nuns, Mennonites, Portland Hotel Society, Sikhs, Union Gospel Mission, United Church of Canada, etc. all provide charity to the down-on-their-luck, homeless. Supervised injection sites are a public health matter, similar to regular health checks for prostitutes. ... and plenty of addicts in Vancouver's DTES turn tricks to support their drug habits. Public health nurses offer their services to prostitutes to limit the spread of AIDS, crabs, goneria, HIV, hepatitus, herpes, lice, syphillus, etc. to the general public who only venture into the DTES for a "bit of fun" on the weekend.

Keep in mind that $1 million dollars per day is spent on the DTES for services provided to the homeless and the drug-addicted. It is an extremely expensive "solution" that really isn't resolving much.

It is very much a "supply side" problem and without significant improvements in health care and specifically mental health care, we will not really see any significant changes.

11 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Vancouver's DTES is less violent - than many major American cities - because homeless addicts do not have to compete for scarce food, lodging, etc.

Have you ever seen this?

The director of photography is Dan Mannix, who I know personally, (although I haven't seen him for 10 years). He was really proud of making that film. And ironically, he is one of the most right-wing people I've ever met around Boulder.

1 minute ago, Slim King said:

I'm trying to stop the war!!!!!!

How — with verbal diarrhea all over the political discussion section of a moribund skydiving forum? Doesn’t sound like it’s an effective approach. Maybe you should try somewhere else. 

Wendy P. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Slim King said:

In the next 30 days I predict Putin bombs the Ukraine back into the Stone Age if they refuse to negotiate

Finally, a prediction. Let's check back on this in 30 days.

Edit: my prediction: Ukraine will take some more territory, and there will be no "bombing Ukraine back into the stone age" and Slim will say (again) that "Russia has been playing nice, from now on (again) they'll get serious (again)"

Edited by olofscience
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Finally, a prediction. Let's check back on this in 30 days.

Edit: my prediction: Ukraine will take some more territory, and there will be no "bombing Ukraine back into the stone age" and Slim will say (again) that "Russia has been playing nice, from now on (again) they'll get serious (again)"

If he does, it’d be with nukes probably, and then he loses. Kind of like Godwin’s law — once you call someone a Nazi, you’ve pretty much lost. Unless, of course, they actually are a Nazi. As are some Ukrainians, some Russians, some Germans, and some Americans (among plenty of others). But painting all of a group with a brush that belongs to one is intellectually dishonest and cowardly 

Wendy P. 

• Like 1