MichaelMoore

Perris Jet retired?

Hey Zee, I'll be in europe then but i wont have gear, let me know the details, and bring a spare rig for meB|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Boogie details can be found here:

http://www.mdskydive.de/

And, just to whet your appetite, this is what the DZ looks like ;)

and, yes.. it's all of it...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Aschersleben&ie=UTF8&ll=51.858418,11.415052&spn=0.024278,0.052872&t=h&z=14

Edited to add, I don't have a spare rig, but i'm sure you could ask around if you fancied coming?

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

The jet is down for now. it needs some engine work and some FAA paperwork.

I thought they put 2 brand new engines on the plane after they bought it.

I also thought they got the plane certified a long time ago. Why do they have to do it again?

Did you read this?

The FAA has revised the rules under which larger aircraft operate and USPA has succeeded in ensuring that the impact on skydiving is minimal. Nearly all jump planes operate under Part 91, the general operating rules. Larger airplanes "which have a seating configuration of 20 or more passengers or a maximum payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more" are required to operate under Part 125, which imposes far more burdensome maintenance, training, and operating requirements. Few jump planes have payloads exceeding 6,000 lbs. or more, namely the CASA 212 and DC-3, and many of those operators flew under an FAA blanket deviation from Part 125. Though Twin Otters and Skyvans routinely fly with up to 23 skydivers, years ago USPA had won an FAA policy ruling that Part 125 did not apply.

Last year, the FAA announced that it would no longer issue blanket deviations for the larger planes, starting April 1st, 2008. USPA's concern turned into action when FAA officials began insisting that any jump plane that carried more than 19 skydivers would also have to be flown under Part 125. If so, Twin Otter and Skyvan operators had two choices, obtain a letter of deviation that allowed jump flights, but no other flights with passengers or cargo, or limit the number of skydivers to 19. The affect would be devastating. For the better part of a year, USPA kept up negotiations. It wasn't easy. Turnover in the agency meant that USPA had to deal with three different FAA individuals, each time starting over. And each time hearing official remarks that were ominous. So it wasn't clear that USPA's view would prevail. Until now. The FA

A has announced that the only skydiving airplanes that will be subject to Part 125 will be those airplanes that previously had a letter of deviation. Twin Otters and Skyvans will continue flying under Part 91, with as many seat-belted skydivers as weight and balance will allow.

IF they were trying to operate the jet under Part 91 and now have to deal with operating it under Part 125, IMO, they're screwed.

The FAA has revised the rules under which larger aircraft operate and USPA has succeeded in ensuring that the impact on skydiving is minimal. Nearly all jump planes operate under Part 91, the general operating rules. Larger airplanes "which have a seating configuration of 20 or more passengers or a maximum payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more" are required to operate under Part 125, which imposes far more burdensome maintenance, training, and operating requirements. Few jump planes have payloads exceeding 6,000 lbs. or more, namely the CASA 212 and DC-3, and many of those operators flew under an FAA blanket deviation from Part 125.
The FAA has announced that the only skydiving airplanes that will be subject to Part 125 will be those airplanes that previously had a letter of deviation. Twin Otters and Skyvans will continue flying under Part 91, with as many seat-belted skydivers as weight and balance will allow.

Sounds to me that Casas may also be in the same category as the Perris jet. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

>>They are making a killing on the wind tunnel.

>Are they really?

No, they're not.

Bill is right. I don't think ANYBODY makes a killing running a DZ, tunnel or no tunnel. Have you ever run the calculations or looked at the business model?

We jumpers are so lucky that there are people with enough capital to establish and maintain a DZ and financial judgment poor enough to actually do it.

Those of us lucky enough to have jumped the Perris jet probably got a $300 ride for about $100 if you figure in everything. I'll bet the jet has been a red ink operation from day one.

I know how incredibly tough it was to get the FAA to permit jumps from their DC 9. If they had used aviation lawyers and consultants to do do that certification work the bill would have been well into six figures. Do you think the two guys up front or the cabin crew are making airline wages? Can you imagine the cost for the engine changes and maintenance work if it weren't done by Perris based A&Ps? For a DZ to have actually gone from idea to a jumpable pax jet is nothing short of astounding.

We got a gift, big time. We owe the Conatsers a big thank you.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Those of us lucky enough to have jumped the Perris jet probably got a $300 ride for about $100 if you figure in everything. I'll bet the jet has been a red ink operation from day one.

With that underlined statement in mind, it appears by your own admission that the jet is more trouble than it’s worth. May I suggest we petition the owners to sell the jet and use the proceeds to update the bathrooms & bar?

Scott, you've already got Perris to give you a jet jump, now you are wanting them to oupgrade the facilities for you too?? The Bombshelter is great just how it is and the bathrooms at Perris are better then 90% of the other DZ's bathrooms I've been at. Someother DZ's still use Porta-Potties. :o

With the changes the FAA has made to some maintence requirements for all larger airplanes it will be interesting to see how many more hoops they need to jump through to get the plane to fly jumpers again.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>May I suggest we petition the owners to sell the jet and use the proceeds
>to update the bathrooms & bar?

Perhaps you could take all that energy you would have spent on the petition, and instead mop the bathrooms. Perhaps even get a can of paint!

With the changes the FAA has made to some maintence requirements for all larger airplanes it will be interesting to see how many more hoops they need to jump through to get the plane to fly jumpers again.

The question is, why? When the plane was flying loads, there didn’t seem to be enough paying customers to keep the plane going. At the same time, the owners won’t make it affordable enough to jump on a regular basis.

Either jumpers need to spend more money, or the owners need to get rid of it, since it doesn’t appear that the price of tickets will be dropping.

The question is, why? When the plane was flying loads, there didn’t seem to be enough paying customers to keep the plane going. At the same time, the owners won’t make it affordable enough to jump on a regular basis.

Either jumpers need to spend more money, or the owners need to get rid of it, since it doesn’t appear that the price of tickets will be dropping.

What's it to you? It's their plane, their property, their toys. Why do you care? How'd you like it if I came to -your- house and started complaining that it wasn't good enough and that you ought to change things just for me?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

What's it to you? It's their plane, their property, their toys. Why do you care? How'd you like it if I came to -your- house and started complaining that it wasn't good enough and that you ought to change things just for me?

ltdiver

Yea, what Lori said.

Mr. MichaelMoore, aka Scott Jaco, when you can afford to buy your own DC-9, hang new engines, jump through the hoops to get it cert. to fly jumpers you will able to charge anything you want. Until then quit whining.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Good day all,

I could care less about cost. If the Jet costed $100 USD to jump, and it goes to $200 ... For a once in a while experience, I'll still proudly pay it.

I paid $17 USD for a jump ticket a year ago, now it's $25.

Hell, my car costed $20 to fill it up a year ago and now it's $45 ... Inflation, eat it (everyone else is).

Support your DZ and specialty jumps / aircraft ;-)
Fly High ... Don't "Get High"!

With that underlined statement in mind, it appears by your own admission that the jet is more trouble than it’s worth. May I suggest we petition the owners to sell the jet and use the proceeds to update the bathrooms & bar?

this was an old post, liked to by another post ... but I just could not believe what I read

oh you poor spoiled little rich kid...

when I hit Perris in early 80, the restaraunt was a ragged trailer tagged on to the end of the building block (Manifest, store and the best bathrooms I ever saw at a dz). The bar was a tin shack tacked on to the end of all that, it had a dirt floor with a few flagstones thrown down and we put out buckets on rainy days and moved the 'missile commander' game so it wouldn't get trashed.

And all that was MILES ahead of the z-hills facilities at the time.

Update the bar ? they spend a ton of money updating facilities and their is nothing wrong with the bar except it is far too 'swanky' for me (and you can't smoke in it ... health nazi assholes) .... I suppose you want an attendant in the bathrooms to hand you a towel after your shower ?

what a pantywaist ... i bet if I took your AAD away you wouldn't jump.... take up bowling ...

I tend to agree on everything you said, but add that most successful developers buy land ten years or more ahead of when they need it. I think that in about 3 years or so the buying will start up again. We are safe for now....B|

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

1 - Ownership is just that, ownership means they get to do what they want,,fly it, look at it or fuck in it. They dont need to get rid of anything. Not your choice, never has been and never will.

2 -" Owners need to make it more affordable" How do you know they are not ? Do you really think its possible to make it worth while for every one at 37.50 a jump ? Do some home work, find out the fuel burn, do the calcs. Then take a Business 101 class at the local college.

3 - Selling the jet to buy fuel for the Otters and such is about the worlds biggest and dumbest idea ever. So you are suggesting that it is a good idea to sell a million dollar asset and buy fuel ? right That would be like you selling your house and using the money to only buy pizza for yourself, in a short period of time you have nothing. Take Finance 101 at your local college.

4 - Listen the exp jumpers,,jump and then jump and jump more. Enjoy yourself.Don't worry or question things that are not in your control and that are non of your business

5 - You and Shah should get an apartment together.
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Little to do with the subject however,I know the USPA sells our names to whoever. Including insurance companies. mite want to keep that in mind when you see your premium go up. i had them take my name off it for that very reason. Nice to know yer donkey. But, then again, the speed of the leader is the speed of the pack.

3 - Selling the jet to buy fuel for the Otters and such is about the worlds biggest and dumbest idea ever. So you are suggesting that it is a good idea to sell a million dollar asset and buy fuel ? right That would be like you selling your house and using the money to only buy pizza for yourself, in a short period of time you have nothing. Take Finance 101 at your local college.

You have some good points, but on #3 I have to disagree. If you take an asset that's not making money, sell it and use that $$$ to make more $$$, that's a good idea. Your pizza analogy breaks down there. Think of selling the house to supply your money-making pizza parlor. ;)

Haha... this website needs to expire/auto-lock threads and/or people need to learn how to read the timestamp on posts.

1) Someone bumps a three-year-old thread, why? we'll never know, see step 3.

2) Someone goes off on a rant against random postings in the thread, including against an account that's been stale for two and a half years.

3) Original bump post gets deleted for rules violations.

4) Hilarity ensues.

Haha... this website needs to expire/auto-lock threads and/or people need to learn how to read the timestamp on posts.

1) Someone bumps a three-year-old thread, why? we'll never know, see step 3.

2) Someone goes off on a rant against random postings in the thread, including against an account that's been stale for two and a half years.

3) Original bump post gets deleted for rules violations.

4) Hilarity ensues.

wanna bump a Shayna Richardson thread ? :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM