How do young skydivers get to do so many jumps/tunnel time?

The guys I know who fit the 20/1000+ jumps category gave up professional jobs, went to work for the dz and got free or reduced price jumps. Then after they got really good, the got sponsors to help with equipment and travel costs and started winning competitions, getting pics in magazines, getting invited to boogies for free, etc.

But they still live on noodles, pizza, etc.

Blue skies,

Jim

I just turned 23, 1,350 jumps all funded through packing.

I lived in a tent for a while to be able to afford more skydiving. Now that I'm in school and can't pack full time (and live in Seattle) my jumps are slowing down, but I still think I did pretty good.

I've never put a jump or any gear purchases on a credit card.

I started in highschool with a chunk of money I'd saved from summer jobs, that helped me fund AFF and my first used gear purchase.

I live cheaply and buy most things used.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Does anyone know any young and very experienced skydivers and know how they have funded their jumping careers. I'm not jealous of them, i really just am curious to know how these young un's are funding themselves through the sport so quickly.

Although I am in my early 30's, sharing an apartment and not owning a car helps quite a bit. Some of us like to avoid the iron ball of mortgage or expensive car/insurance payment and spend it on vacations and jumping.

I spent the equivalent of 25% of my income last year (first year of non-tandem skydiving). I did sell some of my stuff, such as my entire Star Trek DVD collection (Got almost $1000 total), to finance the purchase of my skydiving rig.

I just turned 20 three days ago, and have got about 150 jumps and 2 hrs in the tunnel in the last 10 months.
Had a scholarship check that I used to get through AFF and some initial jumps. I've got a small loan I pay every month on my gear. And luckily, attending UGA I get the HOPE scholarship, which pays for my tuition and part of books. My parents help with with living expenses. Everything I make working part-time is for jumping and a few other small things.
There are so many people at college who spend tons of money on booze, fraternity memberships, going out to eat. I pretty much eat cheap, have cut down on the amount of drinking (or found where the specials are), and reduced my spending.

But if I was completely on my own with no HOPE scholarship or parental involvment, don't think I could be in the sport in my current state.
I don't and will never be someone who goes into CC debt to get more jumps or live on a DZ. I love this sport so much, but it's still a hobby. I've got a lot of other things in addition to this that I want to do with myself in the next 5-10 years.
Just my 2 cents.

Alex
Alex
UGA Skydiving Club

Are you talking tandems?

I lack the surface area and strength. If I can't feel confident about my own abilities, I'd have a hard time persuading tandem students to trust me.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Some of us like to avoid the iron ball of mortgage

Being house poor is dumb. But we all have to live somewhere and pay rent somewhere (assuming you're not living at home and/or have a sugar-momma). So a mortgage doesn't have to be the evil iron ball. Of course I do feel for some young people in certain urban centers where the price of real estate has shot through the roof making home ownership impossible on anything less than a six figure income. Plus having this addictive skydiving habit doesn't help. Shit I own a house with a small mortgage (I'm not living in the house) and I sometimes feel like I can't get ahead.

I shit you not, I'd likely be a net-worth millionaire right now (or close to it) had I first not become a licensed private pilot and then a skydiver (making almost 1400 all unpaid skydives and another 80+ BASE jumps which contrary to popular myth are not free). But I love being in the air and I'm happy with the money that I have spent on my flying and my jump endeavors. But I am slowly learning to live on less and that is the secret to surviving as a fun jumper in this sport. Not wasting what money you do have on other more frivolous things. Of course skydiving is not something that we have to do in life (something I'm slowly learning). And trust me, not having debt and having savings for that rainy day is good for your soul. Unless you're willing to cutaway and being a full time (yet poor) skydiving bum, it's all about balance.

I should say though that I'm not a young'un. I pretty much wasted my youth in the 80s and do way more now than what I did back then. >:(

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

So a mortgage doesn't have to be the evil iron ball. Of course I do feel for some young people in certain urban center where the price of real estate has shot through the roof making home ownership impossible on anything less than a six figure income.

I wanted my own. Housing prices more than doubled around here in many places in the last 8 years. Right now I'm happy paying only a little above ~$500 utilities-included in a large 2-bedroom downtown apartment (~1000sq feet) with heating, air conditioning, large balcony, dishwasher, and robot vaccuum. (Okay, I purchased that last item!) No property taxes or condo fees, all the heating and air conditioning I feel like at fixed cost. Only 2 blocks away from two supermarkets and tons of restaurants. Even a 30 year mortgage in a similiar place would require me to pay almost twice that for the same thing, and that does not include taxes/utilities/fees. B|

Eventually, I'd like my own place, but it looks like I'll have to make some tough choices down the road. Share with a loved one AND still rent out a room to really good roommate like the one I have now :)

I wanted my own. Housing prices more than doubled around here in many places in the last 8 years.

Funny you should say this. I bought a house in Calgary back in '93 for 150k. I'm not sure exactly how much it's worth right now, but it's somewhere in the 300k range (possibly even more). So yes you're not wrong to say that some markets have doubled and well I just got lucky to have bought at a good time. Any young sky-girls looking for a sugar daddy? Of course this would mean living in a place where you can only jump part of the year. :(

I'm currently paying $750/month for a pretty lousy small'ish one bedroom apartment here in suburban Vancouver with absolutely no desire to own real estate here on the lower mainland. My 300k 4 bedroom house in a nice Calgary suburb will buy me a 700 square foot one bedroom apartment (with no view) in Vancouver.

As I said, I feel for the young people trying to break into the real estate market in some urban centers. But as long as you're not house poor, having a mortage isn't a bad thing.

Learn to live on less and jump as much as you can afford to. But watch how much you jump if it means putting you into debt.

I forgot to mention when I was packing that was T-10's and para -commanders on tables.:|
Square reserves were also packed on tables....

Back then it was unheard of for experienced jumpers to pay someone to pack for them. It was easy to get experience on student rounds but no one would let you touch their square main.

I can afford the expensive hobbies I do because I have no real responsibilities and make a decent amount of money.. I'm sure when i get a family things will change a bit :)

Now if I only had more TIME OFF to do this, I would be set.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ive been jumping out at Lillo in Spain, One of the guys there Pablo is an AFFI, tandem master freefly coach, world champion in Canopy piloting has 3,000+ jumps and is an all round nice guy. He is 19 years old!
How did he do it? His father is one of the DZ founders / owners also tandem master etc. There are pictures on the wall in the DZ bar of Pablo doing his first skydives aged 12. Allright for some.

This is what i'm talking about. I'm not talking about some 24 year old who has 100 jumps. I'm talking about this sort of example. I knew these sorts of people must be from "industry", it's got to be the only way this sort of thing can happen. "Dad owns a dz and you can jump for free all you want", sort of thing.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

The youngest mullins is another good example, I believe his name his zack?? I think he's like 14/15 someone correct me and had over 1000 jumps at the freefall convention last year.. I guess it pays to be mike mullins son heh

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I'm 24, have 1000 jumps, am a full time college student living off campus (not with parents) and receive not financial support from the family. Up until end of Jan I was unemployeed for 2 years, in those 2 years I made 400 some odd skydives. I am on my 2nd rig and 3rd canopy, 2nd rig and 3rd canopy were bought new, a birdman suit, flat top with digital cameras, 5 hours in the tunnel and will be making 50 jumps in perris in 2 weeks.

I haven't paid for a jump out of my check book for close to 4 years...IT's all about how dedicated you are and where you can cut costs in your life and come up with ways to make money. My advice, get your ratings and shoot some f*cking killer video

edit to add: I didn't start jumping till I was 19 and saw a flyer on my campus. I'm not a dz baby and didn't pay my way packing

How did you make 400 jumps over 2 years of being unemployed? Just curious

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I think its all about priorities.

How many of these young guys with squillions of jumps do you see with a steady girlfriend? or live in a house? or have kids?

Then as they get older, how many have a steady girlfriend? house? or kids? Seems to be the end of the genetic line for them.

In my 4th year of university, I only managed about 50 jumps during the accademic year, mostly paid for by packing. I had racked up over £1000 on a new jumpsuit and a holiday to empuria during the summer the year before. That is now all paid off. The club also subsidised jump tickets.
But Ive now graduated and have a job and I can afford to pay rent and be part of a team with a significant outgoing for training. I have a long term girlfriend who I plan to move in together with and buy a house in a couple of years (in that damn expensive london).

We recon we can pay off a significant mortgague, put about the same in for team training, live on and save on our combined salaries.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

"I think its all about priorities.

How many of these young guys with squillions of jumps do you see with a steady girlfriend? or live in a house? or have kids?

Then as they get older, how many have a steady girlfriend? house? or kids? Seems to be the end of the genetic line for them."

Actiualy I'm live in Poland http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2101248;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

And my situation looks like this: good job (in Poland), child, wife. For one jump 6500 feet I must pay 24$. My salary is 1000$. Live cost for all family its near 757$. That why I have 60 jumps within 2 years. In Poland it really expensive sport even for people with good job.I have big smile When Im look on your jumping statistic as difference is deam powerful. For couple months I and my family start new live in USA. And my dreams (about systematic jumping) comes truth very soon. It seems so me.
But first I must organize my life in USA.

BluSky

Yup Learn to live cheap seems to be it,

Although i've not done as many jumps as some (240+) in 2 years that includes a summer getting through static line in with scottish weather. But own all my own gear on my second canopy, have camera/helmet, ff fs suits etc open face and full face and the usual bits and bobs of gear. I have also gone through 3 new cars and several skiing hols in that time!!!
Ok have a decent job and salary. Skidiving is payed by packing. (ok and a few homers for work). everything else is out salary. it amazes me how much money ppl waste each week on crap like chocolate magazines smoking, take your own sandwich to work and dz, i cut out the little things which lets me do all the other stuff only go out drink once twice a month.
Not been single for most of the time either, although makes a big difference on spending. answer
Budget Budget Budget and give up the junk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large Groups!!

Firstly, you live barely above the poverty line (sometimes below it), sinking all your available money into jumping, training and gear. Start off packing your butt off, then get some instructional ratings, then you spend every day at the DZ instructing. All day busting your butt to go load after load after load to make money. Then you use every open/student-less load to fun jump with a specific purpose and plan. If you're into swooping, you do that, FFing, you do that, etc.

I'm just about to turn 26 and I have about 1900 jumps. I've never had a lot of money and my parents didn't pay for more then just a couple of my early jumps. Well, they did buy me an AAD when I told them I wasn't going to jump with one since it was too much money.

Its all about how hard you're willing to work to make your goals happen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How did you make 400 jumps over 2 years of being unemployed? Just curious

Do you want a smartass answer or a real answer? My smart ass answer is, I opened the door and jumped out.

The real answer is, read my thread above again. I haven't paid for a jump in close to 4 years. I shoot video, SL-I and Coach. Those 2 years were my slow years too. I made enough money to pay for my jumps and pay for my bills while unemployeed (my choice). It was the best 2 freaking years of my life. Now I'm a full time student, still no real job other than part time on campus. I'm telling you, it's all about priorities and how you live. I learned that worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but never get you anywhere (fav movie), so I just don't worry about what's going on in my life cause at the end of the month, I always tend to have enough to pay bills AND had a good time doing whatever I did
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Coaching and instructing are about the only way to do a lot of jumps on a limited budget.
As an example.
Last year in Slovakia there was a freefly instructor who did 250+ jumps in 3 weeks. And got paid for them. Even though bunks on the DZ were only 3 euros per night he was tenting.
This guy was about 22 or so and spends every summer going around europe teaching freefly. Lives on the Cheap and saves what he can to get through the winter.
At the rate he was jumping 1000 per year would be no problem

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Yup Learn to live cheap seems to be it,

it amazes me how much money ppl waste each week on crap like chocolate magazines smoking, take your own sandwich to work and dz, i cut out the little things which lets me do all the other stuff only go out drink once twice a month.
Not been single for most of the time either, although makes a big difference on spending. answer
Budget Budget Budget and give up the junk.

In my college skydiving club the classic excuse for someone not to jump (either whuffo or experienced club member) is that they don't have the money. However you see these people spending 50+ dollars a week on buying beer, going to bars, and eating out.

It's just what you care about. Even some licensed jumpers don't really care about skydiving that much and are happy to make only 20 or so jumps a year. My roomate (skydiver) told me once that he wanted to get his B license just so he could jump even less than he already did, and still stay "current" (at least to the USPA). :o

Obviously the key to doing a shit load of paid jumps is to become first a coach, then an AFF or Tandem Instructor and if possible a vidiot. But just so that newer jumpers are aware of this, you don't just show up at the DZ one day with camera gear and say I want to fly tandem videos. You need to build the appropriate skills. It's likely easier to become a vidiot at a smaller DZ, but thanks to a fatal tandem/camera incident last year. The DZ in CO where I was at last year started a new policy that in order to fly tandem video you either needed to be an existing rated AFF Instructor or a rated Tandem Instructor (they had a few existing vidiots which had been flying camera for years and were understandably grandfathered in towards this policy). It's totally understandable why they would ask for this requirement as nobody wants to see Tandem accidents due to inadequately skilled video fliers. So I just wanted to point this out to the newer jumpers that you can't just show up one day and say pay me money to jump without building the skill set first and you'll need to spend some of your own money to build this skill set.

So either get a good job outside of the industry or become a packer/rigger at the DZ and watch where you spend you money elsewhere in the world (this last part is not directed at Kansasskydiver since he's doing a better job working in the industry than I am). ;)

Stay in school, work hard, increase your earnings potential.

Pack, clean the DZ, wash the plane, bring tandems to the DZ.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I've got a little over 1300 jumps right now and I just turned 21 this week. Aaaannnndddd....here's how I did it...

I started in high school. I worked at least 20 hours per week since I was 16, but had nothing real to spend it on. So, it went into a bank account. I had no bills other than car insurance. I lived at home...no food bills or rent bills. I used that money to pay for my first rig. My first jumps were pretty much all paid for by packing tandems and what not. I feel extremely lucky to have started in high school because now that I'm in college, the only way I can afford to jump is to have them pay me to do tandems and video and some rigging here and there. As long as its something you are determined to do, even a shitty job will fund a skydiving habit. I did get my tandem rating pretty early in my career and I started doing video even before that, but regardless...you always find a way. I just spent my first 15 minutes in the tunnel last night...and thats something new to spend money on. Hell...i'm gonna do hop and pops and tunnel time from here on out...screw going to altitude!

Cheers,
Travis