How do young skydivers get to do so many jumps/tunnel time?

I see loads of young (early 20's) skydivers who have made thousands of jumps, spent hours in the tunnel, are world champs etc - how are they doing this? Are they dz babies? Are they funding themselves via their parents? Have they made money very early on in life and spent it all on jumping?

Does anyone know any young and very experienced skydivers and know how they have funded their jumping careers. I'm not jealous of them, i really just am curious to know how these young un's are funding themselves through the sport so quickly.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

money money money.

At the age of low20s, nobody can have thousands upon thousands of jumps and have funded themselves through it, imho. Maybe except that geek that did the millionpixels thing and lotto winners - but they probably don't skydive!

>

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I have a theory:

Recent attitude changes in the sport have created an atmosphere in which people can feel they are expected to jump a lot or not jump at all. People who came into this sport in an era of mandatory AAD policies and strict currency requirements have been led to believe that someone, especially a novice, who hasn't jumped in a few months has forgotten everything he learned and is a hole in the ground waiting to happen. In some circles, jumping without an AAD is thought to be no less risky than jumping without a reserve.

(Side note-I visited the Ranch a few years ago and overheard a novice jumper, who had about 70 jumps, express concern about doing backloops with a rented student rig because the rig did not have riser covers. The rig seemed to be at least a mid '90's model, modern enough and in fine shape. It was far more state-of-the-art than my Wonderhog or any rigs I rented as a student. I don't remember any stories of people having problems doing safe backloops with this gear. But this young jumper had absorbed enough current day DZ culture to actually be concerned about doing backloops with that rig.)

Add to this the pressure to buy the newest gear & all optional accoutrements, and we have priced the sport out of reach of many people who might enjoy making a few occasional skydives, but who are unable to spend every weekend at the DZ.

This means that most of the people you'll see at the DZ are the ones who can afford to be there often. These are the people a first-jump student will be interacting with, and learning from, etc. The cycle continues...

Cheers,
Jon S.

like someone else said it's all about priorities. i'm closing in on 1800 jumps in 3.5 years and have paid for it pretty much all on my own (i'm 24 now by the way). i live as cheaply as i possibly can and the only things i buy right now are food and jumps (besides rent, car payment, ect). i do have a regular job but i've also done tandems as well, which helps out a little.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

No kids, no house payment, no student loan payment, no car payment, no life, and credit cards just getting warmed up.

Those would be my guesses. If you live at home, or in a dump, drive a POS car (paid for), eat ramen, and spend 100% of your cash on jumps, there you go.

It's all about priorities ;)

(for me anyway - not that I'm a world champion or have a brazilian jumps, but I am a young skydiver-guy)

I'm talking about 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars worth of jumps.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I have a theory:

Recent attitude changes in the sport have created an atmosphere in which people can feel they are expected to jump a lot or not jump at all. People who came into this sport in an era of mandatory AAD policies and strict currency requirements have been led to believe that someone, especially a novice, who hasn't jumped in a few months has forgotten everything he learned and is a hole in the ground waiting to happen. In some circles, jumping without an AAD is thought to be no less risky than jumping without a reserve.

(Side note-I visited the Ranch a few years ago and overheard a novice jumper, who had about 70 jumps, express concern about doing backloops with a rented student rig because the rig did not have riser covers. The rig seemed to be at least a mid '90's model, modern enough and in fine shape. It was far more state-of-the-art than my Wonderhog or any rigs I rented as a student. I don't remember any stories of people having problems doing safe backloops with this gear. But this young jumper had absorbed enough current day DZ culture to actually be concerned about doing backloops with that rig.)

Add to this the pressure to buy the newest gear & all optional accoutrements, and we have priced the sport out of reach of many people who might enjoy making a few occasional skydives, but who are unable to spend every weekend at the DZ.

This means that most of the people you'll see at the DZ are the ones who can afford to be there often. These are the people a first-jump student will be interacting with, and learning from, etc. The cycle continues...

Cheers,
Jon S.

that explains nothing as to how a 20 year old kid can have racked up $50,000 worth of jumps over a couple of years. Not every young person on the dz can afford that.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

like someone else said it's all about priorities. i'm closing in on 1800 jumps in 3.5 years and have paid for it pretty much all on my own (i'm 24 now by the way). i live as cheaply as i possibly can and the only things i buy right now are food and jumps (besides rent, car payment, ect). i do have a regular job but i've also done tandems as well, which helps out a little.

Interesting thanks for the insight.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I did ~400 in my first year (basically quit last summer in favor of BASE). Mostly a combination of wealthy parents, and income from packing. Right now I'm spending my scholarship money (I'm getting several $k/yr over my tuition/rent/utils to go to college now thanks to doing very well in HS and on those bullshit standardized tests). I'm almost 19, btw.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I think the majority of people doing over 500 jumps a year are professional skydivers - coaches, AFFI's, TM's, video - or on a team getting good deals and sponsorships for jump tickets.

And don't forget credit has been awfully easy and cheap to come by the last 5-6 years.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Back when the earth was still cooling and I was young, I drove old gas-efficient cars and fixed them myself, had a roommate in an inexpensive apartment, got my rigging, jumpmaster and instructor's tickets (no tandem or AFF in those days), and did most of my own cooking. Clothing came from second-hand stores. Gear was used.

It's surprising how little you can actually live on when you try.

But I didn't make as many jumps in a year as many folks do now, but there wasn't the opportunity to either.

Wendy w.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If it's not still true I would be very surprised. Actually, how they used to be comped back in the mid/late 1980's was like this: the government paid you exactly what you were making in your "real" job while you stayed a member of the national team. I thought that was very cool.

Chuck

that explains nothing as to how a 20 year old kid can have racked up $50,000 worth of jumps over a couple of years. Not every young person on the dz can afford that.

Can't quite explain that level.

5 years ago I was at a startup in the gaming industry where the average age of the employees was probably 25. Nearly all guys. The parking lot was full of nice sporty BMWs and Audis, and others.

Figure one of those cars is equilivent to training, a rig, and 1000 jumps (with a couple canopy changes). Maybe more, given the high cost for them to insure such vehicles.

On the time aspect, back them I tended to be a bit more focused on a couple recreational sports at a time, and was less likely to be tired on Saturday morning. Even if the week was a long one, I wouldn't let it get in the way of the weekend plan. Now...sometimes I let sleep win.

I always wondered about you :P

I've been doing about 200 jumps a year for the last few years (I'm 25) and just bought a house by having a college education and market driven skills. I don't own the nicest house, or the newest car or even a new rig (still jumping the container I got used 1000 jumps ago), but I put what ever I don't spend on the bills and my GF into jumping. I don't hit any bars, I don't go out and buy things just to have them. My furnature is the same stuff I got used when I was in college 7 years ago. I made about 45 team jumps last year and probally 35 tandem video. Everything else is payed for in cash.

Priorites...

TJ, keep the grades up. I lost my scholarship due to slipping grades thanks to too much time off having fun :$
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>Does anyone know any young and very experienced skydivers
>and know how they have funded their jumping careers.

I started when I was 24. I funded my early jumps through packing, then SL jumpmastering, then AFF and tandem. Paid for about 1600 jumps that way. After that I was making enough money to pay for them on my own.