5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

20 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

One of the problems with sending illegal immigrants back to their countries of origin is that they are often soon released because their home country is too poor to house/imprison them.

Catch-and-release is the norm in many countries.

Not sure why a departed person would necessarily have to be detained in their home country?

(edited)
7 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Not sure why a departed person would necessarily have to be detained in their home country?

And immigration isn't illegal. It's accepted and supported worldwide, with a few obvious exceptions.

What is so bad in the countries people are running away from that they are willing to risk their lives and the lives of their families to flee?

What happened to international aid and support to help reduce this?

Although I feel this has VERY little to do with America's mass shooting problem.

Today's first mass shooting to make news that I've heard, Atlanta.

What number of dead do we have to achieve before we actually do something???

Does it have to affect politicians directly?

This. Is. Fucking. Lunacy.

Yet no one cares. yawn.

Edited by normiss

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

One of the problems with sending illegal immigrants back to their countries of origin is that they are often soon released because their home country is too poor to house/imprison them.

Umm, too poor or just don't? If an American was deported from another country the US government wouldn't give them free housing or send them to prison just because of that. Hell, it's one of the only things the US government won't send you to prison for.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:46 PM, riggerrob said:

Perhaps the USA needs ordinances limiting the hours that you can shoot outside. Write the ordinances similar to hunting regulations that limit shooting between sun-down and sun-rise. These limited hours reduce the number of random "sound" shots and accidental shootings. They also discourage the use of bright lights to stun deer.

Also consider that most municipalities have ordinances that forbid loud noises - outdoors - after "X" o'clock. Gun fire should be treated the same way.

Finally, given the current gun culture in the USA current attitudes are so deeply entrenched that they cannot be changed within the lifetime of the current generation. We are going to have to wait until the current generation of gun owners die off - from natural causes - before you can make fundemental changes.

Thanks Rob, Somebody gets it... YOU sir, nailed it. "Current attitudes". "Our" problem is uniquely ours. Go ahead and compare the U.S. to anywhere else, doesn't matter.  

1 hour ago, timski said:

Thanks Rob, Somebody gets it... YOU sir, nailed it. "Current attitudes". "Our" problem is uniquely ours. Go ahead and compare the U.S. to anywhere else, doesn't matter.  

That’s horseshit; in fact it’s isolationist horseshit. Worse, it’s nonsense, too. How else can you know how you are doing without comparison? If you aren’t comparing yourself honestly, well, then you are just like Trump: a narcissistic fool. No, our problems are best understood through comparison. 

11 hours ago, timski said:

Including Israel?

Hi folks,

Well, a 6 yr old did shoot his teacher:  "Across the country, we have seen an increase in threatening behavior and contraband, including weapons, being brought into schools at all levels,"

A Michigan school district has banned students from carrying backpacks : NPR

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  At least, they are trying.

19 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Well, a 6 yr old did shoot his teacher:  "Across the country, we have seen an increase in threatening behavior and contraband, including weapons, being brought into schools at all levels,"

Jerry Baumchen

Great idea! We can’t ban guns but we can ban holsters. We’ve got them now.

46 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Well, a 6 yr old did shoot his teacher:  "Across the country, we have seen an increase in threatening behavior and contraband, including weapons, being brought into schools at all levels . . .

So in the US:

It is too harmful to children to teach them sex ed, or tell them there are gay people.  But teaching them to hide under desks to shelter from a gunman who is killing their classmates is just fine!  Active shooter drills are fun!

It would upset children too much to learn about slavery, and teaching them about civil rights is woke indoctrination.  But we can put the Ten Commandments in every classroom; that's different.

Banning guns - or even making guns harder to get - will destroy America.  But banning backpacks?  That's A-OK.  I mean, who needs them?

33 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

We can’t ban guns

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

or even making guns harder to get

No court has ruled against one having to fill out an ATF Form 4 to own NFA firearms. Just enact legislation that all weapons need to be an ATF Form 4 event. Tell your congressman - no charge for the consult. 

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Jerry Baumchen

How are kids supposed to protect themselves if they aren't carrying their own weapons?

More guns for kids must be the answer.

45 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

No court has ruled against one having to fill out an ATF Form 4 to own NFA firearms. Just enact legislation that all weapons need to be an ATF Form 4 event. Tell your congressman - no charge for the consult. 

Save for the hidden charge of needing to swill an extra bottle after talking to the lame bastards.

• Like 1

This one is a little closer to home: Las Vegas shooting

There are so many Las Vegas shootings (and shootings in general) that I had to be more specific to find it. The victim is (effectively) my sister-in-law's god daughter. As in she was the roommate of the woman's mother, and there for the birth, changed the diapers, and has been friends all along. The victim in this case was the support for both her mother (disabled) and grandmother (in an Alzheimer's care home back in Brazil).

She was shot for trying to break up with her boyfriend. Who is, of course, still on the loose, being protected by bros who think this is perfectly OK I'm sure. Her mother was on the way there to pick her up because she didn't feel safe. It hadn't been a long relationship; Tabatha pretty quickly realized he wasn't a great guy. Too late.

My sister in law is beside herself; she spent last week there with her friend (they're still close).

Why should America be special in this particular way?

Wendy P.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wmw999 said:

My sister in law is beside herself; she spent last week there with her friend (they're still close).

Why should America be special in this particular way?

Wendy P.

Because it is being failed by its government.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:44 PM, JoeWeber said:

That’s horseshit; in fact it’s isolationist horseshit. Worse, it’s nonsense, too. How else can you know how you are doing without comparison? If you aren’t comparing yourself honestly, well, then you are just like Trump: a narcissistic fool. No, our problems are best understood through comparison. 

You are obsoletely correct, you must have something to base your shit show against... I concede. BUT, America's "problems" are uniquely are own, and I stand by my words.    

16 hours ago, kallend said:

Because it is being failed by its government.

You Charlies call ME part of the problem!!! Keep leaning so hard on uncle sugar and see where that gets us all...WOW! How about Community??? You're serious, Gov't is clearly to blame for all of our social ills.    

2 hours ago, timski said:

You are obsoletely correct, you must have something to base your shit show against... I concede. BUT, America's "problems" are uniquely are own, and I stand by my words.    

And the Christian Bible is uniquely their own, right? The point being that if you’re going to speak so affirmatively you really should expand not only your time frame but also your understanding of not just our history but also the history of other nations. I could say more but the kids, in their dugout canoes on their way home from school, are coming now and for this nonsense I won’t miss a minute of their laughing at me while I butcher their native tongue.