5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

Interesting listening to the Supreme Court discussion, and the Supreme Court questions the layers of protection offered against corrupt prosecutors and also stating how ‘grand juries’ are easily swayed by prosecutors and therefore a president warrants special treatment.

Obviously this is part of oral arguments and challenging as a hypothetical, but if true sucks to be Joe Public and subject to the legal system.

4 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Interesting listening to the Supreme Court discussion, and the Supreme Court questions the layers of protection offered against corrupt prosecutors and also stating how ‘grand juries’ are easily swayed by prosecutors and therefore a president warrants special treatment.

Obviously this is part of oral arguments and challenging as a hypothetical, but if true sucks to be Joe Public and subject to the legal system.

We sure know how to party, that's a fact. You should consider emigrating. 

10 hours ago, jakee said:

IIRC Eastman has argued that because he committed the same crime in a bunch of different states, only one of the cases should be allowed to go forward or it would be Double Jeopardy.

The judge simply told him no, you don’t get rewarded for being a more ambitious criminal.

Eastman has also argued that his law license shouldn't be revoked  for the crimes he's accused of because he needs it to make money to pay for...

His criminal defense. 

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindustry/ex-trump-lawyer-eastman-asks-pause-disbarment-ruling-2024-04-04/

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Eastman has also argued that his law license shouldn't be revoked  for the crimes he's accused of because he needs it to make money to pay for...

His criminal defense.

I can't believe Al Capone didn't use that one!  "You can't jail me, Your Honor.  I have to keep running this crime syndicate just to afford my legal bills!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Remember when th right used to bitch about nothing so much as 'activist judges'? Now you can hear the conservative justices in real time trying to talk each other into inventing Presidential immunity out of thin air simply because they (claim to) think it would be a good idea.

23 minutes ago, jakee said:

Remember when th right used to bitch about nothing so much as 'activist judges'? Now you can hear the conservative justices in real time trying to talk each other into inventing Presidential immunity out of thin air simply because they (claim to) think it would be a good idea.

I couldn't figure out how the SCOTUS was going to muck up the immunity case, but we got a pretty good preview today.  They are going to drag this out and turn it into something undefinable and unachievable.  trying to specifically define what is immune and what is not.... I thought the jury was supposed to do that?

Trump enablers again, and one more chip out of the republic.....

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I don't see where he was convicted. Did I miss it?

He hasn't been...
Yet.

That's why I said 'crimes he's accused of'.

A lawyer doesn't need to be convicted of anything to get disbarred.

The Bar Association filed a complaint. 
That complaint went to a hearing by a judge (separate from his criminal trials)

That judge agreed with the Bar Association and said he'll no longer be allowed to practice law in California.

Of course, Eastman plans to appeal.

The part I found amusing was that Eastman DIDN'T say he should keep his license because he didn't do anything wrong, or that the trial was 'fake'.

He just wants to keep making money.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I don't see where he was convicted. Did I miss it?

Some people sit in county jail waiting for their trials. Other people try to steal presidential elections and barely get punished. It mostly depends on what race and especially class you belong to.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

If they go forward with immunity then in the US not all men are equal under the law, secondly it is a tacit admission that the justice system is deeply flawed and that you are not guaranteed a fair trial in the US as there are insufficient checks and balances.

I’ve always been irritated by the phrase ‘Leader of the free world’ but it really annoys me a lot now that the US is a Banana Republic.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Some people sit in county jail waiting for their trials. Other people try to steal presidential elections and barely get punished. It mostly depends on what race and especially class you belong to.

So you're saying the punishment fits the crime. Stealing elections isn't a crime when by Caucasian evangelical birthright they already belong to you.

6 hours ago, nigel99 said:

If they go forward with immunity then in the US not all men are equal under the law, secondly it is a tacit admission that the justice system is deeply flawed and that you are not guaranteed a fair trial in the US as there are insufficient checks and balances.

They did the same thing with the ballot eligibility case when they said ‘well couldn’t any state remove any candidate on a pretext?’ as if there were no possibility of serious judicial review. 

I guess they simply assume the state courts are as partisan, biased and corrupt as they are.

16 hours ago, nigel99 said:

They are going to do as little as they can do to help Trump win the election.  And all they really have to do is delay the trial until after the election, at which point Trump can declare a state of emergency and cancel trials.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

They are going to do as little as they can do to help Trump win the election.  And all they really have to do is delay the trial until after the election, at which point Trump can declare a state of emergency and cancel trials.

At least you’ll get a new national holiday at the end of all this “Trump Day”, it will be the bigliest, like nobody has seen before!

On 4/25/2024 at 2:21 PM, tkhayes said:

I couldn't figure out how the SCOTUS was going to muck up the immunity case, but we got a pretty good preview today.  They are going to drag this out and turn it into something undefinable and unachievable.  trying to specifically define what is immune and what is not.... I thought the jury was supposed to do that?

Trump enablers again, and one more chip out of the republic.....

The Liberal justices really missed an opportunity to ask:

If Biden were to order the assassination of the conservative members of this court because of their inability to place law before politics, do you believe Biden would have presidential immunity?

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, kallend said:

Trump held in contempt by judge.  Fined $1000 for each of two violations.

Like that will make a difference. Would be like fining me $1.

Except you wouldn't be able to raise a couple million in new cash in the next 24 hours.

47 minutes ago, kallend said:

Trump held in contempt by judge.  Fined $1000 for each of two violations.

Like that will make a difference. Would be like fining me $1.

Yeah, but it’s what he’d fine anyone. I think he’s really trying to make this just like any other prosecution, so that on appeal and in the court of at least some public opinion, he’s not being singled out.

And I’ll kick in to John’s defense fund, too. Especially if it’s about dissing the T-monster

Wendy P. 

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

Yeah, but it’s what he’d fine anyone. I think he’s really trying to make this just like any other prosecution, so that on appeal and in the court of at least some public opinion, he’s not being singled out.

And I’ll kick in to John’s defense fund, too. Especially if it’s about dissing the T-monster

Wendy P. 

I'd throw in some "thoughts and prayers".

• Like 2