5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

(edited)
On 10/20/2023 at 10:07 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

I am aware of those efforts.  IMO what this latest petition to the court is to, finally, get a ruling that an ex-president is not above the law.  I do not believe that has ever been ruled on by any judge in this country.  I may be wrong about this.

Yeah - but as pointed out above that’s only because there’s never been a case to rule on. Presidents generally either don’t commit blatant crimes or are smart enough not to get caught. Nixon being the only exception but he was pre-emptively pardoned before it became an issue (and even that is controversial).

Really though, I don’t think it was ever in question. I’m not aware of any serious school of legal thought (except from Trump’s true believers) that has ever suggested it was the case. In fact, if anyone really thought it was true why was Nixon offered, and why did he accept, a pardon? Why is there an official Justice Department position on not prosecuting sitting Presidents (for very different reasons) if Presidents couldn’t be prosecuted at all? I think they both clearly show that the default presumption always was that Presidents aren’t monarchs, and can be prosecuted. 

When Aileen Cannon suggested otherwise while trying to sabotage the FBI’s ability to investigate the documents they seized at Mar a Lago the 3 Conservative judges above her in the appeals court came as close to calling her a fucking idiot as you can get in acceptable legal language. 

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

Hi folks,

Re:  “The real import of this plea is the signal it sends to the other defendants,” said Chris Mattei, a former federal prosecutor.

Georgia plea deals spell danger for Trump, co-defendants | The Hill

Any thoughts on how soon Mark Meadows has his Come to Jesus Moment & cuts a deal?

Rats do what rats do.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I'm thinking that Meadows will be among the next five to cut a deal.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Rich,

Or, it could be that he is already talking to some folks in secret.

Fani, what can you tell us?

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

I'd bet a LOT that people from the prosecutors office and lawyers for ALL the defendants are talking.

"What can you give us and what do you want?"

Going both ways.

Reports are that Chesebro was offered a deal a little while ago, that he declined. The deal was nearly identical to the one he accepted last week.

21 hours ago, jakee said:

Scary how quickly in the Trump era this became a genuine defence from his supporters for all kinds of terrible behaviour. “Why are you even talking about that - he does that all the time!”

I really, truly don't understand why anyone still believes a word he says, yet here they are, lapping up the lies.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/23/politics/fact-check-trump-speech-new-hampshire/index.html

1 hour ago, kallend said:

I really, truly don't understand why anyone still believes a word he says, yet here they are, lapping up the lies.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/23/politics/fact-check-trump-speech-new-hampshire/index.html

There's a bit in there that really demonstrates the extremist views that are taking over the GOP now.

[Nikki Haley] was asked by Tapper for her thoughts about DeSantis having said that while the people of Gaza are not all Hamas, “they are all antisemitic” and “none of them” believes Israel has the right to exist. Haley responded that many Gazans don’t want to be ruled by Hamas, just as many Iranians oppose the regime that governs them, and the US should continue to distinguish between terrorists and civilians.

Both Trump and DeSantis savagely attacking Nikki Haley for saying that not everyone in Gaza hates Jews. If you're not willing to racially stereotype every single inhabitant of an entire city you can't be part of the club anymore.

(edited)
4 hours ago, kallend said:

And another domino falls:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/10/24/jenna-ellis-plea-deal-georgia/

Trump co-defendant Jenna Ellis pleads guilty in Georgia election case

Hi John,

This woman is an educated attorney; and she says:  

If I knew then what I know now, I would have declined to represent Donald Trump in these post-election challenges,”

Ellis acknowledged that she helped supply false information

Another Trump lawyer who pushed to overturn 2020 election pleads guilty - POLITICO

She knew that she was committing a crime, no matter what she now says.

One has to wonder just what went thru her [ their ] minds.

OK, folks; who's next?  The lines are open.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  The other day I was reading about Chesebro, the attorney who pleaded guilty last week.  If he had pleaded to all of the original charges, he would have lost his law license.  His actual plea allowed him to keep his law license even though he pleaded to a single felony.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

From today's Cohen testimony:

"I was tasked by Mr. Trump to increase the total assets based upon a number that he arbitrarily elected and my responsibility along with Allen Weisselberg predominantly was to reverse engineer the various different assets classes, increase those assets in order to achieve the number that Mr. Trump had tasked us."

Something we all pretty much knew, but has now been confirmed twice.

32 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Hi Robert,

See Post #1662.  The dominoes keep falling.  How sweet it is.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  To all you other Trump attorneys:  The lines are still open.

Hi folks,

Now, with Mark Meadows spilling his guts, I found this Letter to the Editor in today's NY Times quite interesting:

To the Editor:

The danger that the guilty pleas of Jenna Ellis, Kenneth Chesebro and Sidney Powell poses to former President Donald J. Trump and his remaining co-defendants in the Georgia election case extends beyond their prospective testimony.

Had early trials gone forward, it would have given counsel for the remaining defendants, including Mr. Trump, a crucial preview of the prosecution’s case against them. By depriving defense counsel of such a road map, the prosecutors will benefit from an element of surprise that they might otherwise have sacrificed.

Moreover, the guilty plea of Ms. Ellis underscores yet another danger for Mr. Trump and his remaining co-defendants: The more defendants who plead guilty and agree to cooperate with prosecutors, the greater the pressure on those remaining to do likewise, especially considering the relatively lenient deals that Ms. Powell and Mr. Cheseboro received. Of course, that pressure will only increase if and when additional defendants take plea deals.

How will this affect the fate of Mr. Trump and his remaining co-defendants? Only time will tell.

Since this Letter to the Editor is available for viewing by any reader of the NY Times, I hope that I am not doing something wrong in publishing it here.  I did leave out the writer's name.

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Had early trials gone forward, it would have given counsel for the remaining defendants, including Mr. Trump, a crucial preview of the prosecution’s case against them. By depriving defense counsel of such a road map, the prosecutors will benefit from an element of surprise that they might otherwise have sacrificed.

It would also have given the prosecution a detailed practice session while trying arguably less important criminals.  So, cuts either way.