8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

8 hours ago, richravizza said:

On a personal note, are you a woman?

because you remind me of my liberal lil sister after 3 glasses of vino.

Oh yeah, you’re totally not sexist at all. How could anyone ever have thought otherwise.

5 minutes ago, jakee said:

By Sky Australia, who are essentially Oz Fox. In other news, dog bites man.

Getting that whole messenger/message thing mixed up again I see. What did he say that was factually incorrect?  Let’s get back to comprehensive non-Eurocentric, intersectional climate action and dependence on ancestral indigenous wisdom to solve our climate crisis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakee said:

Disclaimer, many adult children in CA walk around on their own without guns, mace or a taser. 

And you referenced needing confidence in the president during a crisis. That’s what your preferred president did during the last terror attack on the government of the USA. Watched Fox News and refused to take any calls. Just because you didn’t mention it that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I see no reason why anyone wouldn’t prefer Biden by comparison.

Hi jakee,

Re:  I see no reason why anyone wouldn’t prefer Biden by comparison.

That is why, about two yrs ago, I put a sticker on my car that said:  Any Functioning Adult 2020

And, that is why I have previously posted my reason for voting for Biden:  He is not Trump

Jerry Baumchen

17 hours ago, richravizza said:

You should take a break from throwing all them stones, your shoulder, man.Start looking on the bright side of life. 

I agree! 

Nowadays we have a competent president, infection rates are starting to come down in California (and they will soon start to come down across the US) we have three vaccines and we are starting to reopen the economy.  We're transitioning away from coal and oil to renewables.  We're expanding into space - returning to the Moon, having larger and larger space station crews and even considering private space stations.  And we now have the lift capacity to support that.

A few weeks ago, we had a pretty momentous trial in which a white cop was found guilty of killing a black man during his arrest.  Which again does not end institutional racism, but is definitely going in the right direction.

Things are, for the most part, getting better.

#1 1999?  half of America thought Y2k was the death of us, the Mayan calendar was all the rage too.

?? No one thought that the Y2K bug was the death of us.  A LOT of people (me included) thought it would be a huge problem unless we put in the time and effort beforehand to ensure it wouldn't be a problem.  And we did.  Another "bright side of life" moment.

#2 funny you mentioned, Witches, I just saw a magazine at the checkout stand today. 

So young adults raised by liberals would be less likely to believe in the Crafts? oh ya'll crack me up.

Liberals do have that science thing going on.  Conservatives tend to be the more superstitious of the two.  Some numbers:

38% of conservatives are not planning to get vaccinated against COVID, compared to 7% of liberals

54% of republicans believe demons exist; 37% of democrats believe the same

14% of republicans believe vampires exist; 8% of democrats believe the same

#3 40% of the GOP believes in AWG.

Only 40% believe in the American Wire Gauge system?  I hope they're not electricians . . .

J/K.  That sounds about right although "believe in anthropogenic climate change" is a pretty general statement.  If you narrow it down to "believe that mankind is the primary driver behind the warming climate" it's much lower.  14% of conservative republicans and 35% of moderate republicans believe that man is the primary driver of the warming.

46 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Getting that whole messenger/message thing mixed up again I see. What did he say that was factually incorrect?  

You're getting that whole fact/opinion thing mixed up again.

Because I'm a nice guy I'll walk you through it in the baby steps you need. This "Biden’s stupidity is a threat to western civilization" is not a fact, it is an opinion. An opinion not quoted but given by a Sky Australia host. When it is the opinion of the messenger you want to discuss, the identity of the messenger matters. 

Picture a CNN anchor saying "I think Trump is destroying America" and see if you can make the connection.

53 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Let’s get back to comprehensive non-Eurocentric, intersectional climate action and dependence on ancestral indigenous wisdom to solve our climate crisis.

Isn't that what you guys always bitch about when new targets come up for how much the western nations are going to reduce their emissions? It's always 'what about China / India / Sub-Saharan Africa / any other developing region or nation!' I thought a non-Eurocentric approach was what you wanted.

I would ask you to supply any examples of exactly what you're taking issue with, but since you're still yet to come back with a single quote from Kamala Harris blaming her loss on racism and sexism I won't add anything more to your research schedule.

3 minutes ago, jakee said:

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Isn't that what you guys always bitch about when new targets come up for how much the western nations are going to reduce their emissions? It's always 'what about China / India / Sub-Saharan Africa / any other developing region or nation!' I thought a non-Eurocentric approach was what you wanted.

I don’t want any approach.  CO2 is a non-problem. (Other than causing the inability to think critically in some folks)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richravizza said:

Find it interesting how some here can take a Conservative woman like Candis Owdan {typo troll} and distill her motives and message down to their most toxic.While dismissing the fact of her activism had effect.

Her motives and message are toxic. Face it - if she was still a liberal insulting conservatives you'd be holding her up as the poster child for all that's wrong with the liberal MSM. Because she's now a conservative insulting libs Brent wants her to be the Vice President! Because she goes on Newsmax and Twitter and insults libs, that alone makes her qualified for one of the highest offices in the land.

I'm not sure what coud better illustrate the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of modern right wing politics.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I don’t want any approach.  CO2 is a non-problem. (Other than causing the inability to think critically in some folks)

Like with that Australian TV presenter whose opinion you value so highly. Even though i'm guessing you'd never heard of him until yesterday.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

Like with that Australian TV presenter whose opinion you value so highly. Even though i'm guessing you'd never heard of him until yesterday.

I couldn’t care less about a TV personality.  I was focusing on the climate experts Biden choose to highlight and the fact that one of Obama’s chief science guys says climate change is a non-problem.  If that same information was presented by a midget in a bikini it would be no less relevant (apologies to South Park)

https://nypost.com/2021/04/24/obama-admin-scientist-says-climate-emergency-is-based-on-fallacy/

Is that better?

Edited by brenthutch

57 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I couldn’t care less about a TV personality. 

So why did you post a story about him with a video of him and quote only what he said? 

Seems an odd way to demonstrate that you were focussing on something else entirely.

Is that better?

Sure. Does it support your Australian bikini midget's assertion that Biden is a threat to western civilisation though?

2 hours ago, jakee said:

You got me curious enough to click the link (thank christ for ad blockers!), and yup, of course it's Andrew Bolt.

He's our local Tucker Carlson - an outrage merchant whose sole purpose is to puppet whatever angle Murdoch has decided will sell this week. Can be safely ignored in basically all circumstances.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

So why did you post a story about him with a video of him and quote only what he said? 

Seems an odd way to demonstrate that you were focussing on something else entirely.

Sure. Does it support your Australian bikini midget's assertion that Biden is a threat to western civilisation though?

By pushing western democracies to adapt draconian (and pointless) measures to reduce CO2 while giving China a pass does threaten the economic growth of those countries, especially vis a vis China.

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I couldn’t care less about a TV personality.  I was focusing on the climate experts Biden choose to highlight and the fact that one of Obama’s chief science guys says climate change is a non-problem.  If that same information was presented by a midget in a bikini it would be no less relevant (apologies to South Park)

https://nypost.com/2021/04/24/obama-admin-scientist-says-climate-emergency-is-based-on-fallacy/

Is that better?

Interesting that you think that the fact that he served the Obama administration (in Energy) means he was a complete believer in AGW. Obama liked having some opposing views. Koonin is widely respected, and is part of the scientific community. As such, his opinion should be part of the discussion.

And, from an article about him in the WSJ:

Mr. Koonin argues not against current climate science but that what the media and politicians and activists say about climate science has drifted so far out of touch with the actual science as to be absurdly, demonstrably false.

So in other words, he's part of the discussion, and thinks that over-the-top rhetoric by people who are not scientists isn't helping things. He's not just sticking his fingers in his ears and going "ni-ni-ni-ni-ni."

Wendy P.

• Like 2

(edited)
14 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

does threaten the economic growth of those countries

Threatening economic growth threatens the very existence of western civilisation?

I thought people who say "the earth is dying" were being overly panicky, but now we have the true reason why brent is so hung up about fossil fuels.

He thinks the sky will fall if economic growth slows down a bit! Explains so much...relax brent, it's actually possible to have economic growth without the associated CO2 emissions. Not that you'd know, but you can let us scientists and engineers handle it. We've got this.

Edited by olofscience

27 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Threatening economic growth threatens the very existence of western civilisation?

I thought people who say "the earth is dying" were being overly panicky, but now we have the true reason why brent is so hung up about fossil fuels.

He thinks the sky will fall if economic growth slows down a bit! Explains so much...relax brent, it's actually possible to have economic growth without the associated CO2 emissions. Not that you'd know, but you can let us scientists and engineers handle it. We've got this.

Why do we need to worry about CO2?  Solving a non-problem seems to align well with your skill set.

32 minutes ago, olofscience said:

So then, not only a snowflake but a drama king as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Of course. 

If we've learned nothing else from the Trump crowd over the past few years, it's that any death toll is acceptable in order to keep one's favorite restaurant or bar open.  If public health officials enact any rules that threaten their income in any way, it's worse than Hitler/Mussolini/Bin Laden etc. and the government is crushing hardworking Americans beneath their heel.  If, on the other hand, they reopen bars, restaurants, gyms and concert halls before the pandemic is under control - perhaps even end mask mandates - then they are heroes.  Someone else will protect all those at-risk people!

It's clear that their primary priority is profit far above any other consideration.  If we took them forward in time 350 years, they'd get along with the Ferengi like long lost brothers.

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

Of course. 

If we've learned nothing else from the Trump crowd over the past few years, it's that any death toll is acceptable in order to keep one's favorite restaurant or bar open.  If public health officials enact any rules that threaten their income in any way, it's worse than Hitler/Mussolini/Bin Laden etc. and the government is crushing hardworking Americans beneath their heel.  If, on the other hand, they reopen bars, restaurants, gyms and concert halls before the pandemic is under control - perhaps even end mask mandates - then they are heroes.  Someone else will protect all those at-risk people!

It's clear that their primary priority is profit far above any other consideration.  If we took them forward in time 350 years, they'd get along with the Ferengi like long lost brothers.

Seems to be working out with Texas.  Fewer dead and more folks employed as a percentage than California 

(you know you have lost the argument when you invoke mythical creatures from a sci-fi tv show)

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1