8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Considering that this is the Biden critic thread and all I am going to have to side with the opposition on this one. There is a certain word play between Harris and heiress and the VP does inherit the position. So although there is a side order of misogyny along with the pun, overall it is fairly clever. So clever in fact that I'm certain our resident troll did not make it up. Now, if Joe Weber had said it I would give him writing credit.

I also kind of like the word play. 
And despite not wishing any harm to President Biden, I would literally per myself laughing if Kamala inherited the Oval Office. A woman at the presidency, of Jamaican and Indian descent, and Californian.... And I love the way she grills people 

• Like 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Because in this instance it is not regardless of gender. It is, in fact, a racist misogynistic slam.

Easy Joe, as you correctly pointed out, I am merely parroting that from another source. That source?  BIDEN’S  OWN STAFF!  Yes, it is reported that there has been tension between the two sides ever since Biden dropped the border crisis in her lap and her subsequent failure to engage 

Edited by brenthutch

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

You're right Keith. Brent and every other troll on this site gets a free pass because someone somewhere somehow might have said something sometime about someone. Good catch.

Quite the opposite. I'm suggesting that we can play the ball; not the player. And, if you continue to get snarky with me - no fajitas for you.  

Biden on Immigration: 

Biden notified Congress in February that he would increase the number of refugees allowed to enter the country from 15,000 to 62,500 in the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, upping it to 125,000 for the following year. But he never signed the presidential determination that would actually raise the cap, effectively keeping the cap created by former President Donald Trump. Such paperwork is usually signed shortly after a policy announcement.

Biden's decision to not lift the cap highlights the pressure on his administration to address the surge of migrants, many of them unaccompanied children, arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border seeking asylum. Republicans have criticized Biden for the situation, painting his administration as weak on border security.

SOURCE: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-administration-will-keep-cap-refugees-trump-administration-levels-n1264320

With the VP being absent from her duties as "Immigration Czar" and this - Not really sure what's going on.

Before you pounce, Bill & I had a conversation during the Obama administration about illegal/immigration. Both being the descendants of grandparents who came through Ellis Island, we discussed the need for a similar type path/structure down there.  Not sure why this is eluding everyone, but my personal view is it would be a good middle ground for both sides and beneficial to the country. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

Biden on Immigration: 

Biden .....  Not sure why this is eluding everyone, but my personal view is it would be a good middle ground for both sides and beneficial to the country. 

"Former Vice President Joe Biden released two new immigration-focused policy plans on Wednesday(of this week)....

The two plans include a first 100 days component in which Biden will undo what senior campaign advisers describe as “horrific” and “cruel and senseless” policies enacted by President Trump like the separation of parents and children at the border. He would also end for-profit detention centers.

The immigration plan promises to reform the asylum system, surge humanitarian resources to the border, end Trump’s Muslim ban and review Temporary Protected Status for those who have fled a violent country. It would also end the Trump-declared “national emergency” being used to redirect federal dollars to build the border wall. 

Biden also pledges to reinstate the DACA program, which would immediately protect and expand opportunities for DREAMers — or adults who migrated to the U.S. as young children. He will also search for “all legal options” to protect their parents, a move activists have previously blamed him and Obama for initially causing family separation. Last week on the campaign trail, Biden said he would look to revive the DAPA program even though it was struck down by the court.

However, it would require legislation to pave a pathway to citizenship for the 11 million undocumented people living in the United States."

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Before you pounce, Bill & I had a conversation during the Obama administration about illegal/immigration. Both being the descendants of grandparents who came through Ellis Island, we discussed the need for a similar type path/structure down there.  Not sure why this is eluding everyone, but my personal view is it would be a good middle ground for both sides and beneficial to the country. 

When your (and my) immigrant grandparents came through Ellis Island, it was almost entirely the passthrough for European immigrants. In those days, the "undesirables" were the southern Europeans, like the Greeks and Italians. Chinese and others from the orient were almost entirely excluded either by fiat (Chinese Exclusion Act) or practicalities (no travel infrastructure in much of the world).

I agree that some sort of system needs to happen. The practicalities of two long, largely unprotected, borders, with one of them being with a country with a significantly lower standard of living makes that a very difficult problem, because a very large number of people from the souht of hte US would love to move here. Living two families in a 2-BR apartment, or doing migrant work, isn't great. But the lights turn on when you flip the switch, you can drink the water, there is food in the stores, and it's not a violent most of the time. It's better than where they are now, and nearly everyone wants opportunity for their children.

Wendy P.

15 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

When your (and my) immigrant grandparents came through Ellis Island, it was almost entirely the passthrough for European immigrants. In those days, the "undesirables" were the southern Europeans, like the Greeks and Italians. Chinese and others from the orient were almost entirely excluded either by fiat (Chinese Exclusion Act) or practicalities (no travel infrastructure in much of the world).

I agree that some sort of system needs to happen. The practicalities of two long, largely unprotected, borders, with one of them being with a country with a significantly lower standard of living makes that a very difficult problem, because a very large number of people from the souht of hte US would love to move here. Living two families in a 2-BR apartment, or doing migrant work, isn't great. But the lights turn on when you flip the switch, you can drink the water, there is food in the stores, and it's not a violent most of the time. It's better than where they are now, and nearly everyone wants opportunity for their children.

Wendy P.

Time and again the obvious solution is invisible to the many. We need to let in as many as can be accommodated in family friendly government managed housing at the point of entry. I don't know if the number is 5000 or 10,000 per group but when the right number is reached comfortable RV's should be provided for all and a convoy to Canada should be led by our National Guard to our northern border. Just imagine the cheering and goodwill all those soon to be new Canadians will be greeted with! Jeez, I'm starting to get wet eyes just thinking about it.

We will take our 10%, no problem. Take the rag away from your eyes, now ain’t the time for your tears.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Time and again the obvious solution is invisible to the many. We need to let in as many as can be accommodated in family friendly government managed housing at the point of entry. I don't know if the number is 5000 or 10,000 per group but when the right number is reached comfortable RV's should be provided for all and a convoy to Canada should be led by our National Guard to our northern border. Just imagine the cheering and goodwill all those soon to be new Canadians will be greeted with! Jeez, I'm starting to get wet eyes just thinking about it.

• Like 1

"Effective May 6, 2021, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will begin accepting applications under the following 3 streams:

• 20,000 applications for temporary workers in health care
  • 30,000 applications for temporary workers in other selected essential occupations
  • 40,000 applications for international students who graduated from a Canadian institution

The streams will remain open until November 5, 2021, or until they have reached their limit. Up to 90,000 new permanent residents will be admitted under these 3 streams."

Typically Canadian. Take 1/2 of immigrants that are needy and poor. The other 1/2 college degrees or better. So cherry pick the best from other countries that are just starting their most productive years. Leaving those countries without educated people to lead economic development in their native countries. "Canada is already on track to achieve its ambitious 401,000 immigration target this year"

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

• 20,000 applications for temporary workers in health care

How well are they paid in Canada? Here in Switzerland I believe not enough for the work provided. Yet many health care workers here are foreigners. Lots of French transborder workers, and a big proportion of Canadian nurses. 

my thought is that every country should take better care for their workers in the medical sector (and the actual pandemic would have been much better taken care of). 

3 hours ago, piisfish said:

How well are they paid in Canada? Here in Switzerland I believe not enough for the work provided.

No idea. I know farm labor is exploited somewhat. Not horribly because they have to be brought into Canada every year and they don't want to stay for the winters.

There are allot of Filipino nurses. They would get standard union rates. Nurses aides, also standard union rates.

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

There are allot of Filipino nurses. They would get standard union rates. Nurses aides, also standard union rates.

Like Phil says, there is no problem with pay for nurses in Canada. But there is a problem with them being over worked and stressed out because as the single largest expense in the system cutbacks fall the hardest on them. Canadian trained nurses are in high demand all over the world and many travel for a few years as a way to see the world. When they come home, as most do, they often have regrets because they lack seniority for holiday choices and job placements in an extremely rigid unionized workplace.

36 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

No idea. I know farm labor is exploited somewhat. Not horribly because they have to be brought into Canada every year and they don't want to stay for the winters.

My wife (MD) says that Filipino nurses are the best and kindest that she's worked with.

55 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Like Phil says, there is no problem with pay for nurses in Canada. But there is a problem with them being over worked and stressed out because as the single largest expense in the system cutbacks fall the hardest on them. Canadian trained nurses are in high demand all over the world and many travel for a few years as a way to see the world. When they come home, as most do, they often have regrets because they lack seniority for holiday choices and job placements in an extremely rigid unionized workplace.

I've been to Winnipeg many times. I can attest that return flights are readily available to all who wish to leave. They have no complaint.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:49 AM, brenthutch said:

Easy Joe, as you correctly pointed out, I am merely parroting that from another source. 

You weren’t parroting anyone else when an angry social media influencer was one of the two most qualified black women you could think of for the office of VP. Setting such a low bar for an entire race and gender sounds to me exactly like what Joe was just describing.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, jakee said:

You weren’t parroting anyone else when an angry social media influencer was one of the two most qualified black women you could think of for the office of VP. Setting such a low bar for an entire race and gender sounds to me exactly like what Joe was just describing.

“President Biden knew when he appointed Harris to manage the crisis on March 24 that it was a poison chalice, which gives you a hint of the growing wariness in a relationship where the VP is referred to by insiders as "The Heiress" and Biden is regarded as incapable of serving a full term.”

Angry social media influencer?  I’ve never seen Ms. Owens angry, the anger/hate is on the left.  I would characterize her as a brave, independent thinking, conservative and author.  A hell of a lot more capable than this guy.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6244007376001

Edited by brenthutch

For cripes sake, she’s a talk show host, political commentator and activist. One builds one’s following by saying controversial stuff, and seeing how much of it develops traction. Kind of like throwing spaghetti at the wall. The more that people tune in to listen, the more advertising she and her show sell. 
Wendy P. 

25 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“President Biden knew when he appointed Harris to manage the crisis on March 24 that it was a poison chalice, which gives you a hint of the growing wariness in a relationship where the VP is referred to by insiders as "The Heiress" and Biden is regarded as incapable of serving a full term.”

Angry social media influencer?  I’ve never seen Ms. Owens angry, the anger/hate is on the left.  I would characterize her as a brave, independent thinking, conservative and author.  A hell of a lot more capable than this guy.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6244007376001

Now you've gone and done it, you made the new Mod say cripes. I suspect we'll have another "too many connections" episode because of you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Angry social media influencer?  I’ve never seen Ms. Owens angry,

No surprise, you don't know enough about her to spell her name.

the anger/hate is on the left. 

Like the people hoping all Conservatives die in their sleep so liberal progress can be made? Do you think that is at all angry or hateful?

I would characterize her as a brave, independent thinking, conservative and author.

Do you need help on understanding what 'objective' means? Being conservative isn't an objective qualification. If you think she is qualified because she's a conservative, please stop pretending your dismissal of Harris is based on anything other than her being a liberal.

As for brave, well ok, I guess standing up in public and declaring that the southern strategy was a myth and never happened does take a certain kind of bravery. I'd be too embarassed to be able to lie like that.

Independent thinking? OK, again I can see that. When she tried to defend Trump's nationalist policies by comparing them to the Nazi Party, and said the only thing Hitler ever did wrong was in trying to implement his ideas outside of Germany I very much doubt anyone else told her to say that. I am quite sure she came up with that all on her own.

Author though? We both know you've never read anything she's written so you certainly can't claim she's somehow a good enough writer to be immediately suitable for high office.

Again, the fact that you tried to think of qualified black women and the best you could come up with is a toxic right wing social media personality whose name you approximately know just further proves Joe's point 

• Like 2

It amazes me when anyone looks at Owens and sees anything other than a textbook grifter.

She started out positioning herself as a liberal influencer, tried for about six months but got no real traction. She vanished from social media, then reappeared only three months later completely rebranded as a right-wing talking head. This time she got that traction, and the rest is history.

Anyone who goes through such a complete ideological 180 overnight and completely out of sight is plainly in it for the money and the attention.