1 1
airdvr

Couple recorded pulling weapons on protesters outside their St. Louis home

42 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Neither one has ever heard of the NRA gun safety program. They wanted to intimidate the crowd with their guns nothing more or less. 

The first time I saw the photos of the wife in particular and how she was holding the pistol, my immediate thought was, "She has never fired that weapon in her entire life".

Being in Aus my firearms experience is limited - but not non-existent - and I am always fascinated by people who are the loudest and most passionate about gun rights frequently being the absolute worst with safety.

My last trip to the range a few months back, there were 2 separate examples:

First was a father/son duo, who failed at following the most basic initial instructions of the RSO - "Please stop trying to set up your bench right now, we just called cease fire and are clearing the range so people can go check/change targets". Had to have it explained about 3 times in increasingly basic language to get him to just stand still for 5 minutes until told he was clear to proceed.

Second was a solo shooter with all the bells and whistles on his rifle. On at least two occasions I watched him reposition the entire rig (clumsily, not ready to shoot) while leaving his finger on the trigger.

All of them were South African, a very pro-gun country last I checked.

52 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

The first time I saw the photos of the wife in particular and how she was holding the pistol, my immediate thought was, "She has never fired that weapon in her entire life"....

All of them were South African, a very pro-gun country last I checked.

AFAIK the Swiss are the most disciplined, then the Germans about firearms training to get a license. In Canada training-exam precedes license. The US has none of that. Beyond that there are areas of the US that has a hunting culture. Where land is readily available to shoot and hunt on.  Those areas shrink every year unless you're in Montana, Alaska, the Dakotas, etc.

Drugs, booze, angry, unstable, young people who don't have jobs and guns are a recipe for trouble.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

How is it that the turn the other cheek society is also the pull your gun and shoot society?

You're ignoring the parts about self-defense.

I'm sure you understand:

"the last firearm I've purchased was aBeretta 1301 12 ga. a couple years ago and that was just to upgrade my home defense shot gun from a standardBeretta 12 ga." - Joe Webs

Hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hand?

(edited)
49 minutes ago, Coreece said:

You're ignoring the parts about self-defense.

I'm sure you understand:

"the last firearm I've purchased was aBeretta 1301 12 ga. a couple years ago and that was just to upgrade my home defense shot gun from a standardBeretta 12 ga." - Joe Webs

Hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hand?

Home defense, not yard defense. I might also have pointed out that it's a jackass move to defend your home with a pistol or an AR-15.  In bed, in the middle of the night it's the sound of the receiver on an automatic shotgun slamming a round home that set's the tone. And, even better, no imagined marksmanship necessary.

Like speakers corner, theres no accuracy required to play.

Edited by JoeWeber

Just now, Coreece said:

Much better to warn criminals before they set foot into your house.

That's a foolish thing to say and you must know it. Unless you are a complete moron you do not give up cover if you expect to be in a gunfight. The idiot trespassers were only trespassing. Going outside to brandish stupid, useless weapons was plain dumb if the homeowners were, as was claimed, afraid. It's utter nonsense. They were not afraid. They reeked of being in white privilege control. Furthermore the overall context of this nationwide rebellion was basically peaceful anger. No torches, no pitch forks, no one being dragged from their beds for execution. Job one in threat negotiation is to avoid escalation. Next you sell the idea of peace. Unless, that is, you crave the idea of confrontation.

31 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Home defense, not yard defense. I might also have pointed out that it's a jackass move to defend your home with a pistol or an AR-15.  In bed, in the middle of the night it's the sound of the receiver on an automatic shotgun slamming a round home that set's the tone. And, even better, no imagined marksmanship necessary.

Hi Joe,

Basic military philosophy; it is easier to defend than to attack.

Every grunt knows that; or should know it.

Jerry Baumchen

10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
23 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Much better to warn criminals before they set foot into your house.

That's a foolish thing to say and you must know it. Unless you are a complete moron you do not give up cover if you expect to be in a gunfight. The idiot trespassers were only trespassing. Going outside to brandish stupid, useless weapons was plain dumb if the homeowners were, as was claimed, afraid. It's utter nonsense. They were not afraid. They reeked of being in white privilege control. Furthermore the overall context of this nationwide rebellion was basically peaceful anger. No torches, no pitch forks, no one being dragged from their beds for execution. Job one in threat negotiation is to avoid escalation. Next you sell the idea of peace. Unless, that is, you crave the idea of confrontation.

Dude you're all over the place, (paraphase) from "chasing motherfuckers down the drieway,  bustin caps, dropping the UPS guy, turning the the other cheek, pull your gun and shoot, (btw, nobody shot) self defense, gunfight/no gunfight, warnings are foolish, blah blah blah. . ."

Other than that I agree with you, or maybe not, who the hell knows?

(edited)
8 hours ago, Coreece said:
9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Seriously, WTF is it with the idea that defending your home should also include chasing the motherfuckers down the driveway and firing rifled slugs through their rear window? 

Hey Joe,  when you're doing your circle jerk thing, make sure you don't stretch it too far.

I thought that that referred to the idiot who murdered Jordan Edwards, and is now spending 15 years in prison.

Edited by headoverheels

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Hey Coreece, seriously, do you think at least one poster here isn't jonesing to cap some motherfucker they deem unreasonable? They've said so, right? You know, pull their weapon at a park, deal with unreasonable liberals and on and on. It's no circle jerk. This is how they fantasize. 

There are only a few that I have seen that are vocally wishing harm on anyone here.

I don't think any of them would actually be Jonesing to do it, though.  It's just posturing. (I hope)

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Like speakers corner, theres no accuracy required to play.

Well, each tool has it's pluses & minuses.

Pistols are faster & easier to swing in close quarters, easier to keep control of (harder for the 'bad guy' to grab), and leave one hand free for using a phone, turning on lights, ect. However, shooting one well takes a lot of practice.

Rifles have actual 'stopping power', are menacing in appearance and are easier to shoot accurately than pistols. However the bullets tend to overpenetrate. It's very easy to accidentally shoot through a couple walls and kill someone you didn't want to. They also take two hands to operate.
Shotguns are fairly easy to shoot, but have a lot of recoil. They don't overpenetrate.

But if you think of it as a 'alley sweeper' that doesn't need to be aimed to hit a threat, then I strongly suggest you spend some range time seeing how it 'patterns'. Generally, even a shorter cylinder bore barrel has a pattern that only opens up a foot or so at 'inside the house' distances.

And while the idea of 'the sound of the bolt slamming home' as a deterrent sounds good, the idea of not having a round chambered until confronting an opponent is pretty naive. 

8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I never realized walking on the street and the sidewalk was considered trespassing.

Interesting.

6 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, each tool has it's pluses & minuses...

And while the idea of 'the sound of the bolt slamming home' as a deterrent sounds good, the idea of not having a round chambered until confronting an opponent is pretty naive. 

Yes, the idea that you chamber a round in a slide action shotgun just before shooting is all Hollywood. Same with shooting from the hip.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, each tool has it's pluses & minuses.

Pistols are faster & easier to swing in close quarters, easier to keep control of (harder for the 'bad guy' to grab), and leave one hand free for using a phone, turning on lights, ect. However, shooting one well takes a lot of practice.

Rifles have actual 'stopping power', are menacing in appearance and are easier to shoot accurately than pistols. However the bullets tend to overpenetrate. It's very easy to accidentally shoot through a couple walls and kill someone you didn't want to. They also take two hands to operate.
Shotguns are fairly easy to shoot, but have a lot of recoil. They don't overpenetrate.

But if you think of it as a 'alley sweeper' that doesn't need to be aimed to hit a threat, then I strongly suggest you spend some range time seeing how it 'patterns'. Generally, even a shorter cylinder bore barrel has a pattern that only opens up a foot or so at 'inside the house' distances.

Nope. You leave it on the floor beside the bed and just a bit under. The round is in the receiver and ready. Then you simply need to press the receiver release to make that very distinctive sound, that, in a quiet house is like no other, pick it up and point it at the bedroom door. You are now ready to spray 5 loads of nine .32 caliber Buckshot balls at whomever comes through the door and around the corner. And you will have a chance of success even if you spent the night scarfing Fajitas and getting hammered on beers over at Bigun's place.

4 hours ago, headoverheels said:

I thought that that referred to the idiot who murdered Jordan Edwards, and is now spending 15 years in prison.

When hunting you have to identify what you're shooting before you pull the trigger. Every year there are a couple deer shot that walk on two legs, are wearing orange vests, hats and also carry rifles. After shooting a a 1/2 dozen deer and perhaps 100 days afield the hunter becomes calm and cool about the entire shooting something live affair.

As compared to idiots that get a Glock practice once then its loaded under the bed ready to be grabbed. Or cops that shoot 100 rounds in a day, hear story after story that its better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. Then out they go,

4 hours ago, headoverheels said:
12 hours ago, Coreece said:
14 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Seriously, WTF is it with the idea that defending your home should also include chasing the motherfuckers down the driveway and firing rifled slugs through their rear window? 

Hey Joe,  when you're doing your circle jerk thing, make sure you don't stretch it too far.

No, it was a dick joke.

13 minutes ago, normiss said:

I never realized walking on the street and the sidewalk was considered trespassing.

Interesting.

It's a 'gated community'. The streets are private property, owned & maintained by the HOA. 

9 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Nope. You leave it on the floor beside the bed and just a bit under. The round is in the receiver and ready. Then you simply need to press the receiver release to make that very distinctive sound, that, in a quiet house is like no other, pick it up and point it at the bedroom door. You are now ready to spray 5 loads of nine .32 caliber Buckshot balls at whomever comes through the door and around the corner. And you will have a chance of success even if you spent the night scarfing Fajitas and getting hammered on beers over at Bigun's place.

Your choice. 

I don't agree with that technique, but if it works for you, ok.
However, any bolt (rifle or shotgun) or even a pistol slide will make that sound.

However, if you are under the influence, after 'getting hammered', plan on ''just a bit" of trouble. 

And again, take that shotgun out, set up a target (say the size of a door) at close range (say 10' or so) and see how it does. 

11 minutes ago, normiss said:

Interesting.

My understanding, which as usual is irrelevant to the topic at hand, is that it was a private community with private roads. I live on such a thing; the county road ends and the paved private road begins. That's where the private road, no trespassing and stay the fuck out signs, are conspicuously posted. Of course all asshole realtors, Jehovah's Witnesses and now civil rights protestors I guess, remain privileged  to ignore such requests.

4 minutes ago, Coreece said:

No, it was a dick joke.

No it wasn't. It was a quote from a cop who was explaining to me just how far I could probably take it and still not be charged. He was schooling me on shot selection when I told him I picked up the Beretta Tactical for home defense. He thought it best to make the first two or three buckshot and the last two rifled slugs in case the motherfuckers were escaping in their car.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

My understanding, which as usual is irrelevant to the topic at hand, is that it was a private community with private roads. I live on such a thing; the county road ends and the paved private road begins. That's where the private road, no trespassing and stay the fuck out signs, are conspicuously posted. Of course all asshole realtors, Jehovah's Witnesses and now civil rights protestors I guess, remain privileged  to ignore such requests.

Too funny. I posted previously that for realtors, fuller brush salesmen, etc. The law allows travel to the front door for a "knock and talk" that private road, no trespass signs doesn't mean much. Now as any postal employees or experienced salesman can tell you. If the yard is fenced and there are some mean looking shepherds or pitbulls running at large. You ignore all that and move on to the next property.

IMO this on a 870 is the way to go with 00 buck. When the safety is moved slowly with fingers on both sides of it it makes no noise. You confirm its a target with the light, assuming its night. Then any warning depends on circumstances.

Edited by Phil1111

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

No it wasn't. It was a quote from a cop who was explaining to me just how far I could probably take it and still not be charged. He was schooling me on shot selection when I told him I picked up the Beretta Tactical for home defense. He thought it best to make the first two or three buckshot and the last two rifled slugs in case the motherfuckers were escaping in their car.

You might want to talk to a lawyer who specializes in defending self defense cases.

Not a cop. 

They have different rules, many of which don't apply to "us peasants".

For the most part, if a civilian does things the way a cop does, they end up in jail.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

You might want to talk to a lawyer who specializes in defending self defense cases.

Not a cop. 

They have different rules, many of which don't apply to "us peasants".

For the most part, if a civilian does things the way a cop does, they end up in jail.

Good googaloo, Joe, I thought my position was clear: stay inside your damn house. It's home defense not home offense which is what those two moron lawyers were playing at.

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Good googaloo, Joe, I thought my position was clear: stay inside your damn house. It's home defense not home offense which is what those two moron lawyers were playing at.

You mentioned that the cop said to have a couple slugs at the back of the mag in case the 'motherfuckers were escaping'.

Again, check your local/state laws. 

Where I live that would not be a good idea.
Not for a civilian, anyway.

33 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That's how your children end up in the stupid firearm accident thread.