1 1
swoopgirl

Greta Hates You All

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

She sure is bringing attention to her cause. She's getting to be even better than Trump!

Sooooo - better than Trump . . . at Trolling?

Soooooo lofty a goal to strive for.

I compare that to two different types of cancer.  One being better than the other.

17 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

No theatrics!!

Her entire presence is a theatric.

Its a set up - Put a little girl out there crying for this or that and wait for your opponent to go after her.

Yeah, except she's not crying or using histrionics to get her message across.  She's a lot more composed, and has a much more cogent message, than any of her detractors.  

It's a sad state of affairs when a 16 year old girl with autism has more foresight - and can deliver that message more clearly - than the world leaders who are (supposedly) tasked with having that foresight.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yeah, except she's not crying or using histrionics to get her message across.  She's a lot more composed, and has a much more cogent message, than any of her detractors.  

It's a sad state of affairs when a 16 year old girl with autism has more foresight - and can deliver that message more clearly - than the world leaders who are (supposedly) tasked with having that foresight.

I don't disagree.

I do disagree, when someone says that it is just a little girl.

No - it is a media campaign, and it is funded.

Edited by turtlespeed
Who edited that!?

(edited)
1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi airdvr,

I'll take her thoughts before I do the 5 yr old who we have in the White House.

Jerry Baumchen

Indeed!

Especially when she can speak English as a second language better than he can speak it as a first language.

Edited by ryoder

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I don't think she's met him yet.  That doesn't mean a good deal of her funds were not from that arena.

I would say Ingmar Rentzhog

So you think he is lying and she is lying. You base this on no other evidence than what? Their lifestyle?

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I don't disagree.

I do disagree, when someone says that it is just a little girl.

No - it is a media campaign, and it is funded.

Nope.  Just Greta.  She's pissed off quite a few environmentalist groups by refusing to collaborate with them.

It's interesting.  After 9/11, there were a lot of conspiracy theories about how it was really Bush behind the attacks, that there was a government coverup, that it was a mysterious shadow government that had planted the nanothermite and flown the cruise missiles disguised with hologram airliners into the buildings.  One underlying cause of them was the cognitive dissonance involved in believing that a dozen or so "shithole country" terrorists, armed with boxcutters, could strike a devastating blow against the most powerful country in the world.  Rather than face that, people made up conspiracies that let them claim that it wasn't just those backward terrorists, it was a whole coordinated campaign (also launched by the most powerful country in the world) that pulled it off - and of _course_ that could be successful.  It let them imagine that they were less vulnerable than they initially felt.

We are seeing the same thing in action here.  People simply can't imagine that a 16 year old could have an opinion like this, an opinion that is gaining a huge amount of traction worldwide.  Why, if an autistic 16 year old can have a message like this, what's stopping another 16 year old from having another opinion that could ALSO affect their lives?  Mere disobedient, rambunctious children could change the world in a way that makes my 401k lose some value!  It strikes terror into the hearts of some people who were previously secure in their feeling that their way of life was invulnerable.

So we see conspiracy theories.  She is mentally ill.  Her parents put her up to it.  O poor Greta being cruelly manipulated by her parents.  The evil left wing media put her up to it.  See?  I am not attacking an autistic 16 year old, I am attacking the imaginary left wing media cabal who must be funding her!   It lets people assuage their consciences while marginalizing her message.

Given her success, I expect this to continue, and get at least as much traction as the 9/11 conspiracists did.  Expect "save Greta from the media" rallies and papers signed by hundreds of "child care experts" testifying that she doesn't mean what she says, so it's safe to ignore her.  Your 401k is safe, as far as you know.

Meanwhile other kids will listen to her message and change the world.

19 minutes ago, billvon said:

Nope.  Just Greta.  She's pissed off quite a few environmentalist groups by refusing to collaborate with them.

It's interesting.  After 9/11, there were a lot of conspiracy theories about how it was really Bush behind the attacks, that there was a government coverup, that it was a mysterious shadow government that had planted the nanothermite and flown the cruise missiles disguised with hologram airliners into the buildings.  One underlying cause of them was the cognitive dissonance involved in believing that a dozen or so "shithole country" terrorists, armed with boxcutters, could strike a devastating blow against the most powerful country in the world.  Rather than face that, people made up conspiracies that let them claim that it wasn't just those backward terrorists, it was a whole coordinated campaign (also launched by the most powerful country in the world) that pulled it off - and of _course_ that could be successful.  It let them imagine that they were less vulnerable than they initially felt.

We are seeing the same thing in action here.  People simply can't imagine that a 16 year old could have an opinion like this, an opinion that is gaining a huge amount of traction worldwide.  Why, if an autistic 16 year old can have a message like this, what's stopping another 16 year old from having another opinion that could ALSO affect their lives?  Mere disobedient, rambunctious children could change the world in a way that makes my 401k lose some value!  It strikes terror into the hearts of some people who were previously secure in their feeling that their way of life was invulnerable.

So we see conspiracy theories.  She is mentally ill.  Her parents put her up to it.  O poor Greta being cruelly manipulated by her parents.  The evil left wing media put her up to it.  See?  I am not attacking an autistic 16 year old, I am attacking the imaginary left wing media cabal who must be funding her!   It lets people assuage their consciences while marginalizing her message.

Given her success, I expect this to continue, and get at least as much traction as the 9/11 conspiracists did.  Expect "save Greta from the media" rallies and papers signed by hundreds of "child care experts" testifying that she doesn't mean what she says, so it's safe to ignore her.  Your 401k is safe, as far as you know.

Meanwhile other kids will listen to her message and change the world.

You are right. I should have softened my earlier stated opinions.

(edited)
5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

You are right. I should have softened my earlier stated opinions.

Jesus Joe, what was it that pushed you over?  Was it the comparison to the "blame Bush" conspiracy theorists?  Or maybe it was the part about being compared to cognitively dissonant nanothermite nutters, because that's the same thing you know.  Or maybe you were just convicted of your own greediness with the whole 401K reference?

You gotta love those Billvonian analogies, eh?   Nanothermite conspiracy nuts are to terrorists as Deniers are to Greta!

Chances are none of that crap crossed your mind when criticizing/describing this shit show.  Hell, you're not even a denier.

Personally I think a better comparison would be to that of the whole Nick Sandmann thing.  People on the left and the right just see two kids that hold opposing views to their own.  They basically represent the future and the continuation of this divisive clusterfuck that we've created for ourselves, and automatically the perception is that this all just reeks of parental "indoctrination."  And it doesn't really matter whether it's true or not, it's just the perception, so both sides just blame the parents/media and all the shit flinging starts.

Edited by Coreece

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Jesus Joe, what was it that pushed you over?  Was it the comparison to the "blame Bush" conspiracy theorists?  Or maybe it was the part about being compared to cognitively dissonant nanothermite nutters, because that's the same thing you know.  Or maybe you were just convicted of your own greediness with the whole 401K reference?

You gotta love those Billvonian analogies, eh?   Nanothermite conspiracy nuts are to terrorists as Deniers are to Greta!

Chances are none of that crap crossed your mind when criticizing/describing this shit show.  Hell, you're not even a denier.

Personally I think a better comparison would be to that of the whole Nick Sandmann thing.  People on the left and the right just see two kids that hold opposing views to their own.  They basically represent the future and the continuation of this divisive clusterfuck that we've created for ourselves, and automatically the perception is that this all just reeks of parental "indoctrination."  And it doesn't really matter whether it's true or not, it's just the perception, so both sides just blame the parents/media and all the shit flinging starts.

In retrospect I think my reasoning was in error. I argued that she was a poor example owing to her behavior at the UN. When comparing her various speeches it seemed apparent, to me, that she is also a bit of a construct.

Skydekker then took me to task for ignoring the role her disability played in her demeanor on different occasions. While I think he overplayed the accusation, and while I did not claim it was all an act as many do, after some study I must agree that I should have more seriously considered the effects of Aspbergers on her changing demeanor.

But the main problem was not seeing how enduring and effective her message, as she presents it, would be. Whatever I like or don't like about her or her message is beside the point as should have been whatever I like or don't like about her delivery. The reality is that she's a winner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

In retrospect I think my reasoning was in error. I argued that she was a poor example owing to her behavior at the UN. When comparing her various speeches it seemed apparent, to me, that she is also a bit of a construct.

Skydekker then took me to task for ignoring the role her disability played in her demeanor on different occasions. While I think he overplayed the accusation, and while I did not claim it was all an act as many do, after some study I must agree that I should have more seriously considered the effects of Aspbergers on her changing demeanor.

But the main problem was not seeing how enduring and effective her message, as she presents it, would be. Whatever I like or don't like about her or her message is beside the point as should have been whatever I like or don't like about her delivery. The reality is that she's a winner.

Nice.  Thanks for the honest and thoughtful reply.  Your posting style here seems to have mellowed out a bit.  Have you been drinking that Kava stuff I recommended? ; )

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Nice.  Thanks for the honest and thoughtful reply.  Your posting style here seems to have mellowed out a bit.  Have you been drinking that Kava stuff I recommended? ; )

He's in the PNW, I imagine the whole place is mellowing out with the clouds floating around! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coreece said:

Nope, you missed the point there.  9/11 truthers don't want to believe that just a few people with boxcutters could change the world - because that idea terrifies them.  Makes them think that a few MORE nuts with boxcutters could change the world again.  Greta conspiracy theorists don't want to believe that a single autistic 16 year old could change the world - because there are a lot of 16 year olds out there. 

There are plenty of climate change deniers who don't think there is a media conspiracy pulling Greta's strings.