2 2
brenthutch

Looks like trickle down works after all

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Nope.

You may figure out why . . . But I doubt it - 

Or you could be a normal person and explain.

Here is a hint . . .

what you claim I defend is not what you think it is.

It sure looks like it is what I think it is. Trump mangled an entire speech with implausible statements an you said he was just unpolished, and smarter than people give him credit for. The Democrat says one word wrong and you start a thread to call him an idiot - and still haven't accepted you were wrong about him, by the way.

It's a blatant double standard, exactly like Bill said.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

Or you could be a normal person and explain.

It sure looks like it is what I think it is. Trump mangled an entire speech with implausible statements an you said he was just unpolished, and smarter than people give him credit for. The Democrat says one word wrong and you start a thread to call him an idiot - and still haven't accepted you were wrong about him, by the way.

It's a blatant double standard, exactly like Bill said.

Yes - And I have admitted in the past the things you cannot.

Question - 

Why do you feel the need to insult as you communicate?

Is it an insecurity thing?

7 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Yes  

Right. So why can't you just admit you've been caught applying a double standard? Why can't you admit your post about the Dem candidate was an overreaction to a simple one word mistake?

Ha, nice try. Changing the subject and ignoring the topic... pretty clear sign you know you're wrong. Why not just say so?

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Dude, how can you not be familiar with this technique?  You act like you never played sports, were in the military, or had a father.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Right. So why can't you just admit you've been caught applying a double standard? Why can't you admit your post about the Dem candidate was an overreaction to a simple one word mistake?

>>>>Because it wasn't.  It was exactly the correct reaction.  Not one minutia smaller or larger than it deserved. 

Ha, nice try. Changing the subject and ignoring the topic... pretty clear sign you know you're wrong. Why not just say so?

>>>>Because I'm not.

15 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Because it wasn't.  It was exactly the correct reaction.  Not one minutia smaller or larger than it deserved. 

Which just demonstrates even more that Bill is exactly correct in saying you're just waiting to jump on any tiny excuse not to support a Dem candidate. He said one word wrong - how does that make your reaction proportional? How does it make it exactly right to call him an idiot? How does it justify you bitching that people were talking about what Trump said to Putin instead of talking about this guy accidentally saying female instead of male? Do you honestly think that's how important it is?

Because I'm not.

You know you are, that's why you can't directly address the hypocrisy. Come on, just accept it. You'll feel so much better.

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

Which just demonstrates even more that Bill is exactly correct in saying you're just waiting to jump on any tiny excuse not to support a Dem candidate. He said one word wrong - how does that make your reaction proportional? How does it make it exactly right to call him an idiot? How does it justify you bitching that people were talking about what Trump said to Putin instead of talking about this guy accidentally saying female instead of male? Do you honestly think that's how important it is?

You know you are, that's why you can't directly address the hypocrisy. Come on, just accept it. You'll feel so much better.

Thats an unhealthy obsession you are showing there, sport.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Thats an unhealthy obsession you are showing there, sport.

There's that old subject change again. You realise it just makes it more obvious that you now how wrong you are, right? What's your obsession with not owning up to a mistake?

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I didn't make one.

You don't think whinging that people were talking about Trump/Putin discussions insead of a guy who accidentally said trans-female instead of trans-male was a mistake? You still think that it was an error so important it should take people's attention away from talks between two world leaders? Really?

What's wrong with you?

49 minutes ago, jakee said:

You don't think whinging that people were talking about Trump/Putin discussions insead of a guy who accidentally said trans-female instead of trans-male was a mistake? You still think that it was an error so important it should take people's attention away from talks between two world leaders? Really?  What's wrong with you?

?? Nothing is wrong with him.  He's getting you to react angrily; that's a common thing with him.

Back on topic, the stock market reached new heights last week.

Due in large part to the Fed announcing interest rate cuts.

Kinda funny. Rate cuts makes Wall St really happy because it makes borrowing money less expensive.

However, it's a strong sign that the Fed is seeing an economic slowdown on the horizon.

33 minutes ago, billvon said:

?? Nothing is wrong with him.  He's getting you to react angrily; that's a common thing with him.

I know everyone says this when they obviously are - but I'm not angry. I'm finding it funny that he'd rather dig his heels in and appear more and more childish with every post rather than admit he's wrong or even just walk away, but there's no reason why that should make me angry.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

I know everyone says this when they obviously are - but I'm not angry. I'm finding it funny that he'd rather dig his heels in and appear more and more childish with every post rather than admit he's wrong or even just walk away, but there's no reason why that should make me angry.

Obsessive - yes - 

Angry - No.

Have you ever heard that it takes two to argue - 

I'm just responding to your interest.

(edited)

The R word.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/08/14/stocks-tank-another-recession-warning-surfaces/

The U.S. stock market tumbled to its worst day of the year on Wednesday, after a reliable predictor of looming recessions flashed for the first time since the run-up to the 2008 financial crisis. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 800 points, or about 3 percent, and has lost close to 7 percent over the past three weeks.

Two of the world’s largest economies, Germany and the United Kingdom, appear to be contracting even as the latter forges ahead with plans to leave the European Union. Growth also has slowed in China, which is in a bitter trade feud with the United States. Meanwhile, Argentina’s stock market fell nearly 50 percent earlier this week after its incumbent president was defeated by a left-wing opponent.

Whether the events presage an economic calamity or just an alarming spasm are unclear. But unlike during the Great Recession, global leaders are not working in unison to confront mounting problems and arrest the slowdown. Instead, they are increasingly at one another’s throats.

And President Trump has responded by both claiming the economy is still thriving while dramatically ramping up his attacks on Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome H. Powell, seeking to deflect blame.

Wednesday’s sharp sell-off was caused by an unusual development in the bond market, called an “inverted yield curve,” that often foreshadows a recession.

For the first time since the run-up to the Great Recession, the yields — or returns — on short-term U.S. bonds eclipsed those of long-term bonds. Normally, the government needs to pay out higher rates to attract investors for its long-term bonds. But with so many losing confidence in the near-term prospects of the economy and rushing to buy longer-term bonds, the U.S. government now is paying more to attract buyers to its 2-year bond than its 10-year note.

[Banks are paying people to borrow money. That’s alarming news for the global economy.]

This phenomenon, which suggests investor faith in the economy is faltering, has preceded every recession in the past 50 years.

Edited by kallend

(edited)

The stock market is NOT the economy.

Unemployment rate, real wage growth and GDP are better indicators of economic health than yesterday’s close of the Dow Jones, and all of those metrics remain positive.  If anything is going to screw up the economy it will be Trump’s Democrat inspired, protectionist trade policy, NOT tax cuts and deregulation.

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

If anything is going to screw up the economy it will be Trump’s Democrat inspired, protectionist trade policy, NOT tax cuts and deregulation.

So Trump’s trade war isn’t the Democrats’ fault.

I think you just reached peak Fox.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The stock market is NOT the economy.

I remember late 2007 when a right winger here posted "the D's picked a bad day to start crying the R word!"  A month later, we were in the Great Recession.

If anything is going to screw up the economy it will be Trump’s Democrat inspired, protectionist trade policy, NOT tax cuts and deregulation.

Ah.  So Trump didn't do it, the Democrats did.

Did Obama make Trump grab women by the pussy, too?

20 minutes ago, billvon said:

I remember late 2007 when a right winger here posted "the D's picked a bad day to start crying the R word!"  A month later, we were in the Great Recession.

Ah.  So Trump didn't do it, the Democrats did.

Did Obama make Trump grab women by the pussy, too?

At the very least, Trump is maintaining the Republican Presidential history of recessions.

Great. I hope we enter a recession. I'm planning a home improvement project and it would be very nice if the prices of building materials and concrete would tumble. Hopefully it will cause a bunch of contractors to struggle to find work so I can hire them too on the cheap. I predict that a recession will not hurt me at all so bring it on!

• Like 1