6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

The rate did drop by nearly 50% despite nearly doubling the amount of guns. (maybe even more.)

And you guys are still murdering each other at a rate not really seen at any other first world country. I mean, you have to go to shit holes to see that type of murder rate. But, keep on celebrating your great accomplishment!!!

39 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I mean, you have to go to shit holes to see that type of murder rate. But, keep on celebrating your great accomplishment!!!

Hey, don't criticize!  If we improve by a factor of 2, we will almost be safer than Nicaragua.  But we are ahead of Colombia now!  Yay!

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Merely discussing the "false sense of security" you say Canadians (me) have. 

You were the one saying that you don't worry about gun violence, as if you don't have to do anything about your gun homicides reaching a 25 year high.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Risk is relative, we choose to keep the level of killing machines lower than in your nation. That gives us a lower level of apprehension.

Most of the guns in the US are in the suburbs and rural areas that typically have gun homicide rates at or near 0 or well below the national average, unlike some intercity neighborhoods run by democrats with gun homicide rates in the 30s and 50s.

13 hours ago, Coreece said:
14 hours ago, billvon said:

spending one's energy in making arguments that such deaths don't count because they are not of the right category.

I thought we were done talking about abortion. 

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Must explain your confusion between BUNS and GUNS.  Try sticking to the point.

If you want me to stick to the point then perhaps billvon should finally cool it with his persistent strawmen.  Nobody here was talking about how the deaths of certain people don't count because they don't belong to the right category, unless of course he was talking about gowlerk and how he ignored Canadian gun homicides.  The only other group that even remotely resembled what he was saying seemed to be the pro-choice types, but to keep this thread from derailing like the last one, I'll concede the later in favor of the former. 

the numbers show that gun regulation is effective.

You must be using the same bot software Gowlerk is using that completely ignores any relevant content previously stated in our conversation.

Yes, we know the numbers show some gun regulations are effective, and others no so much. 

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:
3 hours ago, Coreece said:

The rate did drop by nearly 50% despite nearly doubling the amount of guns. (maybe even more.)

And you guys are still murdering each other at a rate not really seen at any other first world country. I mean, you have to go to shit holes to see that type of murder rate.

Ya, that's why it's called Chiraq - a complete 3rd worldish shithole with gun homicide rates in the 30s and 50s, while rich white people just several blocks away enjoy gun homicide rates at or near 0 and live in communities ranked among the highest when it comes quality of life.  And this same fucked up pattern is repeated in almost every major metropolitan area.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

But, keep on celebrating your great accomplishment!!!

It's not about celebrating, it's about acknowledging progress and knowing what works and what doesn't.  We are implementing new gun laws, we are implementing more CDC violence prevention programs that have been proven to work.  The CDC is and has been doing research, and we are proposing funds for even more research.

So all of the people that keep saying that we are doing nothing but offering useless thoughts and prayers are quite frankly, full of shit.

3 minutes ago, Coreece said:

So all of the people that keep saying that we are doing nothing but offering useless thoughts and prayers are quite frankly, full of shit.

Sure, you are throwing a bucket of water on a raging forest fire and then proudly taking a selfie showing your good work.

It is indeed shocking nobody applauds the great effort.

41 minutes ago, Coreece said:

You were the one saying that you don't worry about gun violence, as if you don't have to do anything about your gun homicides reaching a 25 year high.

There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics. In the meantime, there is America...

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/crime/28-shot-6-fatally-in-chicago-over-weekend

Of course, that's just a big city thing. Middle America is fine as long as they don't get into a scuffle at the Costco......

4 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:
5 minutes ago, Coreece said:

How can you read my last reply to you and then honestly post shit like this?

How can you read your last post and honestly think you are doing enough?

3 pages ago I posted how it's sad some people prefer trolling over any effort to spread awareness about proven prevention programs that in many communities are either underfunded or non-existent. 

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

3 pages ago I posted how it's sad some people prefer trolling over any effort to spread awareness about proven prevention programs that in many communities are either underfunded or non-existent. 

Yeah, like I said, a bucket of water on a raging fire. Your gun related death rate is nowhere near other first world countries. By any normal measurement you are not doing enough.

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Yeah, like I said, a bucket of water on a raging fire. Your gun related death rate is nowhere near other first world countries. By any normal measurement you are not doing enough.

I'd say _we_ as a country are not doing enough.  This can't be solved by any one person, or political party, or politician.

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

I'd say _we_ as a country are not doing enough.  This can't be solved by any one person, or political party, or politician.

I'd say we are doing what is reasonable and possible, considering the cultures and areas that are the hot spots.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:
4 minutes ago, Coreece said:

A while back you were talking about a solution that would take generations to work, so it's not really accurate to say that you're not doing enough just because it takes time to see the results.  Thankfully tho we have been seeing results with our current strategies and it's taken us less than 1 generation to cut the crime rate in half. 

Just now, Coreece said:

A while back you were talking about a solution that would take generations to work, so it's not really accurate to say that you're not doing enough just because it takes time to see the results.  Thankfully tho we have been seeing results with our current strategies and it's taken us less than 1 generation to cut the crime rate in half. 

How many generations will it take to curb the increase in Canada's apparent gun problem?

Shouldnt they have better laws to keep people from getting weapons into Canukistan?

16 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I'd say we are doing what is reasonable and possible, considering the cultures and areas that are the hot spots.

Well, we could try doing more about some of the social issues that seem to end up in “those” neighborhoods. Like the shitty schools, the lack of grocery stores, the lack of jobs, the incarceration of a significant part of a generation (and their consequent marginalization), etc. 

no, WE can’t fix them all by ourselves, but WE can sure look for opportunities to deal with people as individuals, rather than looking at them and saying to ourselves “well, look at where they come from.”

wendy P. 

18 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Congratulations America. I can find no reports of accidental shootings for June the 16th. That is one whole day without a media reported event. (unless one comes in later)

I guess I spoke to soon. From Sunday....

https://www.conchovalleyhomepage.com/news/local-news/san-angelo-teen-dead-after-mishandling-loaded-firearm-1/2082387241

7 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Well, we could try doing more about some of the social issues that seem to end up in “those” neighborhoods.

>>> I believe that the change has to be wanted from the inside.

Like the shitty schools,

>>> This we can agree on.  I want better schooling for all - BUT -  Logistics.  How do we make the teachers want to teach in that environment?

the lack of grocery stores,

>>> Again - How do we make it viable for grocery store owner to operate there?  State guaranteed profits?  Guaranteed Safety?  Guaranteed security?

the lack of jobs,

>>>  Fortunately this is a self correcting issue.  If you improve the schools, and businesses are able to operate safely, then it adds jobs.

the incarceration of a significant part of a generation (and their consequent marginalization), etc. 

>>>  Do we just give them a pass?  Do we set a different standard for the inhabitants of "those" neighborhoods?

>>>  If so, where does the double or triple standard end?