6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I do have a clue. But you asked for a number. I'm not really interested in the exact statistics. My clue tells me that it is far too many, I'm not interested in a debate over how many is too many.

Telling - 

Numbers and facts cloud the way an issue feels.

Just now, gowlerk said:

Tell it to the victim's relatives. If you want numbers, find them. Don't demand them me and then attack me for not doing the work for you.

I don't have to - 

I'm not the one claiming knowledge.

I am the one reading that you admit you don't care about the facts and figures.

Just now, turtlespeed said:

I don't have to - 

I'm not the one claiming knowledge.

I am the one reading that you admit you don't care about the facts and figures.

I just don't care to look them up for Coreece. Or for you. I care enough to look at them and comment if you care to do the research instead of asking me to do it. Fact, you can not accidentally shoot yourself with a killing machine that you don't have. 

4 hours ago, billvon said:

People often confuse "better" with "fit for reproduction."  By that purely evolutionary measure, Somalians are the best people in the world.

I don't see where you are completing the reach for this comparison.

How often do they confuse the two - I don't think I ever have.

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I just don't care to look them up for Coreece. Or for you. I care enough to look at them and comment if you care to do the research instead of asking me to do it. Fact, you can not accidentally shoot yourself with a killing machine that you don't have. 

Why would you have to look them up?

Didn't you already do that before you let us know what you felt?

Surely you had facts to fall back on when challenged, right?

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Ya, too bad you weren't there to rub her face in it before she died. . .

Maybe she accepted the cost of having that right for herself.

Seems a bit more fair than the kids paying that price without the choice.

46 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Why would you have to look them up?

Didn't you already do that before you let us know what you felt?

Surely you had facts to fall back on when challenged, right?

She's dead isn't she? Shot with her own gun. Surely you don't think it won't happen again and again to other people? There is no need for me to rise to the challenge. There is nothing that I said that is not true. I was asked for statistics. Not my job.

I still can't quote you solid stats. But here is another accidental self shooting. From yesterday. The 12 yo boy got lucky, he only injured his hand. Unfortunately the bullet passed into and killed the 11 yo girl who was beside him. Again and again and again, over and over and over..........

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/06/11/year-old-girl-accidentally-shot-killed-horn-lake/

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I still can't quote you solid stats. But here is another accidental self shooting. From yesterday. The 12 yo boy got lucky, he only injured his hand. Unfortunately the bullet passed into and killed the 11 yo girl who was beside him. Again and again and again, over and over and over..........

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/06/11/year-old-girl-accidentally-shot-killed-horn-lake/

So, hold the parents accountable.

2 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

So, hold the parents accountable.

The story clearly says

" District Attorney John Champion says no charges will be filed in this case. "

But whatever. It's just another of the nearly daily occurrences of killing machines doing what they do. Bullets don't care, they just travel until they stop. The more killing machines there are where people can handle them the more killing will get done. Holding someone responsible has never brought any dead child back to life and never will.

22 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I'm not really interested in the exact statistics.

Well, that's how you gauge the problem, implement solutions and measure progress, but why let that get in the way of your trolling?

Tho I'm sorry to hear that, it at least explains the disconnect in our previous conversations on the subject.

22 hours ago, gowlerk said:

My clue tells me that it is far too many, I'm not interested in a debate over how many is too many.

Then by your gorilla math, Canada's gun problem is equal to the U.S gun problem simply because it exists.

22 hours ago, billvon said:
23 hours ago, Coreece said:

Not sure how that makes things OK, but there are plenty of programs/legislation that are making things better. 

Agreed there, and I am glad there are people working on such programs and new legislation.  Unfortunately, there are those who prefer "thoughts and prayers" to any effort to improve the situation.

And there are those that think banning buns will work and/or repeatedly claim that we choose to do nothing but give thoughts and prayers, but as with most of those on the fringe, they are usually wrong and rather unreasonable people.

Also, I don't really know anyone in this forum that prefers thoughts and prayers in lieu of any effort to improve the situation, but there are plenty of people like Kallend and Gowlerk that say we choose to do nothing while deliberately ignoring facts to the contrary - and it's sad people like that prefer trolling over any effort to spread awareness about proven prevention programs that in many communities are either underfunded or non-existent.

Just now, Coreece said:

And there are those that think banning buns will work and/or repeatedly claim that we choose to do nothing but give thoughts and prayers, but as with most of those on the fringe, they are usually wrong and rather unreasonable people.

Just to be clear - I will NEVER be in favor of banning buns of any sort.

Also, I don't really know anyone in this forum that prefers thoughts and prayers in lieu of any effort to improve the situation . . .

I don't either.  I was primarily referring to the legislators who actively oppose any regulation, mental health program, or educational programs intended to reduce gun violence while regularly "sending thoughts and prayers" to the families of gun violence victims.

20 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Telling - 

Numbers and facts cloud the way an issue feels.

Some interesting numbers and facts from Science Direct:

Study analyzed the effectiveness of self-defense gun use.  The crime victim's odds of being injured if he had a gun was 4.1%; if he did not have a gun it was 4.2%.  So effectively no difference.  The odds of him losing property during a crime was 38.5% if he had a gun; 34.9% if he used a weapon other than a gun.  So you are slightly more likely to lose your property if you have a gun during the crime.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743515001188

17 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Then by your gorilla math, Canada's gun problem is equal to the U.S gun problem simply because it exists.

Gorilla Math? Just because I won't get into a useless argument about statistics does not mean what you are saying. Go ahead, ignore the costs. Chances are you will not have to personally attend the funerals, so I guess it's alright for you.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:
21 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Gorilla Math?

Ya, again+again+over+over = again and again and over and over.  Excellent contribution, who knew!

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Ya, again+again+over+over = again and again and over and over.  Excellent contribution, who knew!

Who knew? Anyone who cares to look at the mind numbing everyday carnage that occurs from accidental shootings in the USA. Again and again and again, over and over and over is not incorrect. In what way is it wrong?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Here, have another one. From yesterday.

https://www.wbko.com/content/news/Edmonson-County-teen-dies-after-being-accidentally-shot-511127422.html

There are other ones from today that I will have to wait till tomorrow when they are reported. Again and again and again, over and over and over. Every single day. No let up.

6 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Who knew? Anyone who cares to look at the mind numbing everyday carnage that occurs from accidental shootings in the USA. Again and again and again, over and over and over is not incorrect. In what way is it wrong? 

As I said, by your gorilla math and disregard for the stats/facts, Canada's gun problem is equal to the US gun problem.

Just now, Coreece said:

As I said, by your gorilla math and disregard for the stats/facts, Canada's gun problem is equal to the US gun problem.

Sure, so the USA can and will just go on the way it has. Because you, and people like you won't see the problem as a problem. Or see it as having no solution because that would mean giving up some of your access to the very cool killing machines of war. Gorilla math is incorrect math, your use of the term in this way is incorrect. But it pleases you emotionally to use it in an attempt to demean me. This is because you have no real argument.

Sure, so the USA can and will just go on the way it has. Because you, and people like you won't see the problem as a problem. Or see it as having no solution

This is why it's so hard to have a conversation with you like a normal person, because you ignore everything previously discussed.  It's like talking to a bot.

1 minute ago, Coreece said:

This is why it's so hard to have a conversation with you like a normal person, because you ignore everything previously discussed.  It's like talking to a bot.

Then I'll just end this one right here. You can go right on believing that I do "gorilla math".

• Like 1