6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

3 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

What was edited?

Also - I guess we hold our kids to a higher standard.

If you maim someone, or kill them, you get investigated.

EXACTLY!  No one is above the law; we hold young'uns responsible for their actions round here, not like the fragile special snowflake kids from up Canada way.  For example, this here story from North Carolina:

====================

2-year-old finds gun, shoots younger sibling

By: Elsa Gillis

Updated: May 14, 2019 

. . .

Officials said two children, ages 1 and 2, were playing inside the home on Lightview Lane just before noon when they found a .380-caliber handgun inside their parent's nightstand.

According to detectives, the child's father was outside smoking when he heard a loud pop and rushed inside. 

"Father was outside. Mother was inside with the two children. Father hears a loud bang. He goes inside to find his youngest, 1-year-old daughter has been injured from an apparent gunshot wound,” Lt. Kelly Paris, with the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, said.

Officials said the baby’s 2-year-old brother somehow got the gun from inside the nightstand and fired it off while their mother was inside the room.

====================

Hopefully the tiny criminal gets 20 years in prison; that's what high standards we use round these parts.  The only thing unreasonable about this story is that the 1 year old was unarmed.  Only a good baby with a gun can stop a bad 2 year old with a gun.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Also - I guess we hold our kids to a higher standard.

If you maim someone, or kill them, you get investigated.

Nothing wrong with that.

In Canada, one of the key elements for something to be a crime is 'criminal intent'. As a society, rightly or wrongly, we have decided that children under the age of 12 do not have the ability to form criminal intent. Hence, they cannot be convicted of a crime.

Obviously, investigations should still take place. In all these cases better prevention is much more preferable than punishment after the fact. 

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Yet you want stronger laws.

Me? Stronger laws for America? I suppose you mean gun control. Overall America has crazy strong laws and prisons full of people, many of whom don't need to be there. But you know that.

47 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Yet you want stronger laws.

Me? Stronger laws for America? I suppose you mean gun control. Overall America has crazy strong laws and prisons full of people, many of whom don't need to be there. But you know that.

It's good to keep that it mind when talking about gun control.  Wouldn't want the new crop of democrats repeating old mistakes.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Hopefully the tiny criminal gets 20 years in prison; that's what high standards we use round these parts.  The only thing unreasonable about this story is that the 1 year old was unarmed.  Only a good baby with a gun can stop a bad 2 year old with a gun.

Why hopefully?

Or did you mean the parents?

I'm definitely in favor of the parents doing a nice amount of time behind bars for their negligence.

BUT - the negligence has to be proven . . . in a court of law . . . by a jury of their piers . . . etc. etc.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Why hopefully?

Because we hold our kids to a high standard!  They're 'mericans, not incompetent Canuck 2 year olds.

Or did you mean the parents?

How dare you question their right to keep a gun in their bedside drawer!  The next time a 2 year old gets a gun, that guy will have to get to his own gun even faster.

12 hours ago, billvon said:

Because we hold our kids to a high standard!  They're 'mericans, not incompetent Canuck 2 year olds.

Right!

12 hours ago, billvon said:

How dare you question their right to keep a gun in their bedside drawer!  The next time a 2 year old gets a gun, that guy will have to get to his own gun even faster.

Actually, he has an obligation to not be negligent.

One of the best things about having lots of toys to play with around the house, when the teens have their drunken parties they will have something handy to teach a lesson about underage drinking. For the survivors that is.

https://www.news9.com/story/40571235/edmond-police-investigate-accidental-shooting-death-in-edmond

Not sure this would fall under 'stupid accidents'. And it appears that the gun was brought by one of the party-goers, not just sitting 'around the house'.

Officials said someone pulled out a gun and the party goers were playing with it when it went off. 

One person was shot in the head and killed, police said. The age of the victim has not been released. 

Edmond police said the shooting appears to be self inflicted. 

Shooting ones self in the head while 'playing with' a gun sounds a bit suspicious. Not criminally suspicious, but 'Darwin' suspicious.

There was a similar incident somewhat local to me in the past year or so. 
What eventually was uncovered was that the 'drunk teens' decided to play Russian Roulette.

Guns almost never 'just go off'. The trigger needs to be pulled. 

15 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not sure this would fall under 'stupid accidents'. And it appears that the gun was brought by one of the party-goers, not just sitting 'around the house'.

Shooting ones self in the head while 'playing with' a gun sounds a bit suspicious. Not criminally suspicious, but 'Darwin' suspicious.

There was a similar incident somewhat local to me in the past year or so. 
What eventually was uncovered was that the 'drunk teens' decided to play Russian Roulette.

Guns almost never 'just go off'. The trigger needs to be pulled. 

And perhaps the Darwin theory is beneficial.  Perhaps not pleasant - but useful, and beneficial.

It can only make us a better people - Why fight it?

(edited)

Make sure you always carry. It helps to give me new posts. This woman probably valued the feeling of security her personal protection killing machine gave her. Sounds like at least she made it to the hospital alive. She may have even had a chance to say goodbye before she died.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/06/09/person-injured-after-accidentally-discharging-firearm-concord-restaurant/

Edited by gowlerk

On 6/3/2019 at 6:24 AM, turtlespeed said:

And perhaps the Darwin theory is beneficial.  Perhaps not pleasant - but useful, and beneficial.

It can only make us a better people - Why fight it?

People often confuse "better" with "fit for reproduction."  By that purely evolutionary measure, Somalians are the best people in the world.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Make sure you always carry. It helps to give me new posts. This woman probably valued the feeling of security her personal protection killing machine gave her. Sounds like at least she made it to the hospital alive. She may have even had a chance to say goodbye before she died.

Ya, too bad you weren't there to rub her face in it before she died. . .

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I'm sure she had her own regret without my help. It's no longer about her, it's about the next one, and the one after that, over and over and over again and again and again.

6 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
10 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I'm sure she had her own regret without my help.

Possibly.  Not sure how it happened, but if there was regret it was probably because complacency or something like that, rather than because of carrying the gun itself.

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It's no longer about her, it's about the next one, and the one after that, over and over and over again and again and again.

How many people per year kill themselves accidentally with a gun?

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

Don't worry; I am sure there were a great many thoughts and prayers, which makes such things OK.

Not sure how that makes things OK, but there are plenty of programs/legislation that are making things better.  In the other thread you were even talking about some of the laws that were being enacted throughout various states.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
38 minutes ago, Coreece said:

How many people per year kill themselves accidentally with a gun? 

No idea.

Well, you were the one that said "over and over and over again and again and again," so I thought you'd at least have a clue.

Edited by Coreece

40 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Not sure how that makes things OK, but there are plenty of programs/legislation that are making things better. 

Agreed there, and I am glad there are people working on such programs and new legislation.  Unfortunately, there are those who prefer "thoughts and prayers" to any effort to improve the situation.

9 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Well, you were the one that said "over and over and over again and again and again," so I thought you'd at least have a clue. 

I do have a clue. But you asked for a number. I'm not really interested in the exact statistics. My clue tells me that it is far too many, I'm not interested in a debate over how many is too many.