6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

43 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Of course. That makes it okay. I get it. As long as you have killing machines to play with the dead kids are just someone else’s heartache. 

Makes you wonder about those assault lettuce bans doesn't it?

Damn romain is deadly!

Guns, nah. It's just innocent kids undeserving of their right to life paying for the rest of us to go Pew!

(edited)
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

70+ kids accidentally get killed with a gun and you want to get rid of guns.  700+ kids accidentally die from dangerous substances, so why not get rid of all those as well?

Well, because one has nothing to do with the other. The children accidentally killed are only a small portion of the thousands upon thousands of Americans shot to death every year. Household poisons all have a good use. Killing machines on the other hand are only good for killing .

Edited by gowlerk

100,000+ children are poisoned by dangerous substances within their reach every year, get rid of them all!

No, that would be silly.  But it sure would be worth looking at childproof caps, and consumer education, and access controls for chemical storage, and excluding some of the more deadly chemicals from schools, and ensuring terrorists can't buy the sorts of chemicals that could poison an entire water supply, and/or limiting quantities of such chemicals.  That way you still get the benefits of using the chemicals, just with fewer deaths.

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Well, because one has nothing to do with the other. The children accidentally killed are only a small portion of the thousands upon thousands of Americans shot to death every year. Household poisons all have a good use. Killing machines on the other hand are only good for killing .

That is factually incorrect - 

They are amazing at deterring.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That is factually incorrect - 

They are amazing at deterring.

The reason they may deter is their capacity to kill. Sometimes the road rager is also armed.

Edited by gowlerk

16 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Yes  - Which is why I am as well.

I will give up any weapon that is not available to anyone else.

Reminds me of “the arms race” I’m guessing you are not hoping for “mutually assured destruction”. Remember, whoever gets the first shot usually wins.

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Reminds me of “the arms race” I’m guessing you are not hoping for “mutually assured destruction”. Remember, whoever gets the first shot usually wins.

Its not all that dissimilar - 

All you have to do is prevent the bad guys from being able to shoot you first.  Problem solved.

10 hours ago, gowlerk said:
11 hours ago, Coreece said:

70+ kids accidentally get killed with a gun and you want to get rid of guns.  700+ kids accidentally die from dangerous substances, so why not get rid of all those as well?

Well, because one has nothing to do with the other.

See how you are?

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:
11 hours ago, Coreece said:

Because of the way it feels. 

Well at least now we know it has nothing to do with the way he feels about the kids.

10 hours ago, billvon said:
12 hours ago, Coreece said:

100,000+ children are poisoned by dangerous substances within their reach every year, get rid of them all!

No, that would be silly.  But it sure would be worth looking at childproof caps, and consumer education, and access controls for chemical storage, and excluding some of the more deadly chemicals from schools, and ensuring terrorists can't buy the sorts of chemicals that could poison an entire water supply, and/or limiting quantities of such chemicals.  That way you still get the benefits of using the chemicals, just with fewer deaths.

And you could do it all without banning assault lettuce, imagine that!

22 hours ago, billvon said:

Of 238 child fatality cases in South Carolina in 2018, 66% involved a gun.

I'm lucky I had didn't have to worry about my daughters dying like this.

It's heart breaking parents today do.

We're failing our own citizens.

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Bullshit

I'm lucky I had didn't have to worry about my daughters dying like this. 

The gun homicide rate has dropped by about 50% since it's peak in the early 90s, so that doesn't really make any sense.  But then again your statement was based on your bullshit stats above, so at least we've identified the disconnect.

The local newspaper corrected their data. It was 66 of the 238 kids that died due to weapons, so ONLY 28%.

Whew. So much better. /s

Unless you're one of them, or their parents. Those kids really know how to die for their country. yay.

4 hours ago, normiss said:

Bullshit

The local newspaper corrected their data.

Ya, way to blame someone else for YOUR mistake.  You were the one that made the comment without any cited source/quotation, so just own it bro.  Besides, it was so far off that anyone even remotely familiar or honestly interested in the subject/numbers would've immediately known it was bullshit without a correction.

Either way tho, you're not alone when it comes to this apparent lack of perception:

factor-graph1.png

On 6/22/2019 at 1:05 PM, Coreece said:

Ya, way to blame someone else for YOUR mistake.  You were the one that made the comment without any cited source/quotation, so just own it bro.  Besides, it was so far off that anyone even remotely familiar or honestly interested in the subject/numbers would've immediately known it was bullshit without a correction.

Either way tho, you're not alone when it comes to this apparent lack of perception:

factor-graph1.png

So if I were to take a climate change perspective to this, there isn't a decline, there has been a massive increase in the last 3 years presented.

xD

13 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:
On 6/22/2019 at 8:05 PM, Coreece said:

factor-graph1.png

So if I were to take a climate change perspective to this, there isn't a decline, there has been a massive increase in the last 3 years presented.

xD

Damn, not fair.  I've been waiting like a week hoping you'd slip up so I could use that one against you.:P

(edited)

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Hi Ken,

I don't know if you happened to see the 60 MINUTES segment this past week on gun violence.  The doctor on the segment talked about these:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=stop+the+bleed&form=EDGEAR&qs=HS&cvid=3cad79b6fea743d187bc9d0c5eb12e59&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0

I am going to by one of these for each of my two grandchildren's households; you can never know when it might save a life.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, Coreece said:

Possibly.  Not sure how it happened, but if there was regret it was probably because complacency or something like that, rather than because of carrying the gun itself.

How many people per year kill themselves accidentally with a gun?

https://www.aftermath.com/content/accidental-shooting-deaths-statistics/ - A lot.  2500 'child' deaths in 2014, and 13500 injuries.  that's just 0-19 years of age

As in any accidental death, like swimming pool drownings, setting fire to your house, driving a car, falling into a machine, having something fall on you.... we actually examine the causes, study the cause/effect/correlation and quite often take actions, often via legislation, to improve the safety of those things....  

except for gun deaths.  For them... we do absolutely fucking nothing.

It's called 'regulation' when we do take actions and in almost every facet of other accidents it has resulted in a decrease in deaths and accidents.

again, except with guns.... because we do not do that - or anything

Edited by tkhayes