6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

On 6/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, Coreece said:

There obviously needs to be more laws against pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger.  After all, states with more gun laws have less gun deaths.  Maybe we need 5 more.  Ya, 5 more laws against pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger, that should teach them!

geez, comments like these were mindless 10 years ago and still mindless today.  good to see some have evolved.

No one is asking for more guns laws that make it illegal to shoot someone... and you are actually smart enough to know that is not the issue but you deliberately choose to be obtuse and pretend to be dumb about the actual issues that on the table.

I always wonder about that sort of behavior... are people who make mindless comments asking the rest of the forum to treat them as if they are dumb?  Or is it just deliberate trolling?  Or do they actually have no way to discuss the issues of say, background checks, who has guns (i.e.mental illness), how guns are stored, training requirements and needs, and the actual sampling of the issues and the laws that the majority of Americans are asking for?

Just curious....

Did you wear your seatbelt today and did you stop at a red light?  I mean such an overbearing government intrusion into your freedom and your rights.....

On 6/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

I am going to by one of these for each of my two grandchildren's households; you can never know when it might save a life.

Morning, Jerry. 

I applaud your desire to take action. Stop the bleed started out as a DoD course.  

I would encourage you and everyone on here and their families attend a stop the bleed course. https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Class/Search They are completely FREE. The coursework, local hands-on training, etc. is all free. It's usually a one-hour course. 

And, a lot on here would benefit from getting their EMT certification. You may not know that a lot of training schools (Votechs) & Colleges have gone to an online "learn at your own pace" format with a one week practical skills. 

If you have children, grandchildren - There's a lot more reasons to attend medical training than concern over shootings. 

Keith    

9 hours ago, tkhayes said:

geez, comments like these were mindless 10 years ago and still mindless today.  good to see some have evolved.

No one is asking for more guns laws that make it illegal to shoot someone... and you are actually smart enough to know that is not the issue but you deliberately choose to be obtuse and pretend to be dumb about the actual issues that on the table.

Because the alternative is to have a serious discussion about the topic.

11 hours ago, tkhayes said:
On 6/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, Coreece said:

How many people per year kill themselves accidentally with a gun?

https://www.aftermath.com/content/accidental-shooting-deaths-statistics/ - A lot.  2500 'child' deaths in 2014, and 13500 injuries.  that's just 0-19 years of age

This has to be one of the worst cases of confirmation bias that I've seen in a long time, if not ever.  You just find the first stat on the internet that you think fits your narrative and you just go with it - no fact checking, no critical thinking, no reasoning, no logic.

If people cared enough to at least bother familiarizing themselves with the basic facts on the issue, they'd know just by looking at that stat that something wasn't quite right, just like the bullshit that normiss posted about South Carolina. 

If you even bothered reading the 1st bullet point in your link right above the stat you posted, you might've seen that that stat wasn't saying what you thought it said, and how lazily misleading it is.  And they're either being deliberately misleading, or they're just as ignorant as the readers that are merely searching to confirm their own bias - the blind leading the blind by the nose, I suppose.

12 hours ago, tkhayes said:
  • From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.

This first bullet point from your link says that 6,885 people died in gun accidents over a 10 year period from 2006-2016, and then you'll have us believe that 2,500 of those 6,885 were children that were accidentally killed in 2014 alone?  And what about the 495 total accidental gun deaths for all ages in 2016 alone?  I mean how obvious do the discrepancies have to be in Ameristan to cause one to pause for two fucking seconds and at least try comprehending wtf they're actually reading.

13 hours ago, tkhayes said:
  • Accidental gun deaths occur mainly in those under 25 years old. In 2014, 2,549 children (age 0-19) died by gunshot and an additional 13,576 were injured.

In this bullet point that you quoted, you can see they start out talking about accidental gun deaths and then conflate it with all gun deaths for that age group, giving the impression that they were all accidental - and your bias allowed you to blindly fall for it.

14 hours ago, tkhayes said:

except for gun deaths.  For them... we do absolutely fucking nothing. 

again, except with guns.... because we do not do that - or anything

We didn't cut the gun crime rate in half over the last 25 years by doing "absolutely fucking nothing," ok?

We did not ban the CDC from conducting Research.  I've been using their gun numbers on this site for years.  The links you posted sourced CDC gun research over the last couple decades or so.  The ban was against the CDC using government funds to lobby against gun rights, but the CDC isn't even a fucking lobbyist group.  Trump just signed legislation last year clarifying the distinction and now millions have been proposed for more CDC gun research.

I know you probably (apparently) haven't been following these threads, but even strong gun control advocates here have been talking about  gun laws that have recently gone into effect.

I've posted numerous links to youth gun crime prevention/education programs that have been proven to work.  These should be the priority given that the research shows how we can significantly reduce crime within one generation if we can just get to these kids before they reach the most crime prone age group of 15-24, thus significantly reducing their chance of engaging in violent crime later in life.

While there is more that we still need to do, the idea that we're doing nothing is just a bunch of ignorant bullshit perpetuated virally via the internet by a dying breed of emotionally retarded keyboard warriors -  I implore you - do not go down that road - otherwise you may want to be more careful about those you accuse of being obtuse. . .

19 hours ago, tkhayes said:
On 6/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, Coreece said:

There obviously needs to be more laws against pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger.  After all, states with more gun laws have less gun deaths.  Maybe we need 5 more.  Ya, 5 more laws against pointing a loaded gun at someone and pulling the trigger, that should teach them!

I always wonder about that sort of behavior...

I understand your frustration, but please understand that there were several things going on in that exchange.

1.  I was dumbfounded that a 30 year-old could get drunk, pull out a gun, point it directly at his friend, pull the trigger and kill him - and then people are calling it a fucking accident?  That is no more an accident than pounding a 5th of bourbon, flooring your car through a fucking red light and killing another driver.

2.  We already have strict laws against all that stuff, but it didn't prevent that from happening, which is why I think our priority should be in raising more responsible children through aforementioned crime prevention programs, because if we can just get them through that rough crime-prone period of 15-24, then the risk of engaging in violent crime just plummets dramatically from that point onward.

3. I was expressing contempt for the "argument" that States with more gun laws have less gun deaths, because it's not the number of gun laws that really make the difference, it's the type of gun law, it's effectiveness and how it's enforced.  I mean that's pretty fundamental shit, so pardon me if I find those types of indolent arguments rather meaningless and quite annoying.

10 hours ago, billvon said:
19 hours ago, tkhayes said:

Because the alternative is to have a serious discussion about the topic.

You know, given the shitload of data that I've posted to illustrate my perspective on the topic over the last several years compared to many here that just fling shit, post one-liners and then run away when asked serious questions, I really have absolutely no idea how you can honestly imply that I'm not at least trying to have a serious discussion even if I do get a bit snarky and emotional at times and use the fuck word more than I really should.

And if people wanted to have a serious discussion, perhaps they should talk more about the actually laws that are making a difference and you'd see that I actually agree with CAP laws, safe storage and other restrictions especially those related to domestic violence issues.  Hell, I even talked about all that before, but it doesn't matter unless you're also in lock-step with all the other exaggerated bullshit gun control talking points.

(edited)

Run of the mill stupidity. Someone leaves their loaded killing machine on the end table, 17 yo picks it up and starts taking it apart. No reason, just casually playing with an American toy. Because, why not? Bullet in the chamber? Dunno, forgot to look. Non-fatal this time....

https://www.yournewslocal.com/marion-police-respond-to-self-inflicted-gunshot-victim/

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)

America, the wild west. Everyone needs a weapon because you never know when you may get "the angers" and feel like shooting someone. Anyone....

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/crime_police/article_cae700c4-b86c-11e9-9f27-dff771536d92.html?utm_content=bufferb953d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by gowlerk

5 hours ago, billvon said:

A bulletproof lunchbox may have prevented this incident.

Maybe we should downsize semi-auto handguns to fit the children's hands.

If they were armed, they would be able to defend themselves and protect their classmates and school staff.

I'm not sure this meets the 'intent' of the thread.

It wasn't really an 'accident'. It was, however, really stupid.

The guy made a booby-trap. It functioned as intended.
The fact that it shot the guy who put it in, and then apparently forgot it was there doesn't really matter.

That's the 'fun' thing about that sort of setup. It has no conscience, no judgement, no nothing.

It doesn't care who trips it. The owner, a kid, a cop, or the intended target, a burglar. 
If it's triggered, it goes off.

That's why they are illegal as hell. 
If it had been triggered by an intruder, the (now dead) homeowner would be facing murder charges (usually voluntary manslaughter or reckless homicide). 

Well, it would seem that the 9YO followed the rules and it was the dad who fell short.

Here in WI, we had 4 hunters shot during opening weekend of deer gun season. None fatally. 

I volunteer as a range officer at a local shooting range. We call the couple of months leading up to deer season 'silly season'. Very busy with people who only handle firearms a couple times a year. Some are very scary. 
I'm honestly surprised at the number of hunters shot each year. It's pretty low, given the skill level I see. 
The actual number of 'scarily stupid people with guns' is not very high. It's a very small percentage. But it's definitely there.

On 12/1/2019 at 1:29 PM, gowlerk said:

Here's one from a couple days ago . A dead eleven YO.

and this  "So far, not charges have been filed. Police said this is an ongoing investigation."

is what we see over and over. We have laws to keep guns out of the hands of children. I think people that let this happen should be charged and prosecuted. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rick said:

and this  "So far, not charges have been filed. Police said this is an ongoing investigation."

is what we see over and over. We have laws to keep guns out of the hands of children. I think people that let this happen should be charged and prosecuted. 

So much agreement here