6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

16 hours ago, riggerrob said:

May I suggest a religious alternative?

Universalism.

Many Universalists are nominally “people of the book” (jews, christians and muslims), but they don’t take god all that seriously. U’s cheerfully debate - for long hours - whether God is male or female, or black or white or blue. Some Universalists don’t even believe that god exists! But U’s respectfully listen to major prophets from most religions.

The best part about being a Universalists is enjoying ALL the religious holidays. If Hindus have a festival, U’s help the Hindus celebrate an stick around for snacks!

If Pastafairians have a festival, U’s help them celebrate and stick around for spaghetti afterwards!

If Sikhs have a festival, U’s help the Sikhs celebrate and stick around for lunch afterwards!

The best part about being a Universalist is all the free food!

I think that's the best way to go about it.  There are great moral lessons from all the organized religions.  The people who wrote much of their text had messages and philosophies that are worth sharing as there are common moral denominators between all of them.  If I had children I would be happy to bring them to a Unitarian/Universalist Church, it's a good group of people.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:23 AM, nigel99 said:

I disagree. There are societies with higher gun ownership than the USA. As someone whose travelled a fair bit, USA television is far more violent than any of the other countries I’ve visited. Americans glorify violence in a manner that many others do not. From the excessive violence on TV, the preferential treatment at airports to military personnel I think it runs deep in the American psych. By the age of 14 the average American child has apparently seen in excess of 11000 murders on tv. 

It is NOT guns. I grew up in Africa and a very large hunting culture. You were taught that you killed to eat, guns were dangerous and you NEVER pointed a gun at another human being. I suspect a fairly large part of rural USA has similar values. I’ve never looked at the stats, but I would guess most gun crime happens in urban rather than country areas, even if you do it per capita or whatever measure levels it out. If course Bubba and his moonshine contributes to accidental gun accidents, but that’s pretty universal the world over

Reunion is the African territory with the highest number of guns per 100 people at 19.6. If we only look at continental Africa it is Namibia with 15.4 guns per 100 people.

The US is at 120.4 guns per 100 people.

Your comment makes absolutely no sense.

35 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Reunion is the African territory with the highest number of guns per 100 people at 19.6. If we only look at continental Africa it is Namibia with 15.4 guns per 100 people.

Your data is somewhat skewed.

You can't have 1.2 guns - I guess you can, but it's not very realistic.

What is the ratio of gun owners to non gun owners?

It's not a particularly fair and honest statistic if one person owns 7000 guns, and 5833 people don't own ANY.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, kallend said:

But you certainly CAN be obtuse.  As you so perfectly demonstrated with that comment.

I got banned for using that word that way.

Clarified:

I do not want you banned, or given a time out.

I'm pointing out a double standard.

Edited by turtlespeed
Clarification

31 minutes ago, DJL said:

From wikipedia.  Toggle the gun ownership column.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_ownership

I get that.  The figure is estimated using the total population and the total number of guns owned.

IN REALITY, it is not as equally distributed.  I'm sure you knew that, but it doesn't fit some of the preferred views.

I would like to see a metric that describes the actual number of gun owners.

14 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I get that.  The figure is estimated using the total population and the total number of guns owned.

IN REALITY, it is not as equally distributed.  I'm sure you knew that, but it doesn't fit some of the preferred views.

Why? The argument was that there were societies with higher gun ownership. That was in response to me saying that the high availability of guns plays a factor. Guns per 100 people is a pretty sound statistics for both those points.

Secondly, I think it is pretty hilarious that you are trying to argue that the disparity between 15 and 120 guns per 100 people must be equalized by a few people owning a lot of guns. Of course while arguing that I am trying to massage the data.

34 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I get what you're saying but it's just making a statement of total numbers, not about whether it's spread around.  I don't think it's a terribly useful number considering that we could exclude guns like my 16 gauge bolt action and black powder 50 cal since nobody would ever use them in a crime or mass shooting. If we excluded hunting weapons and looked more at gun deaths and handgun ownership that would give us a better representation of how we compare in the misuse of weapons or ownership of weapons that are specifically for self defense or aggression.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

I get what you're saying but it's just making a statement of total numbers, not about whether it's spread around.  I don't think it's a terribly useful number considering that we could exclude guns like my 16 gauge bolt action and black powder 50 cal since nobody would ever use them in a crime or mass shooting. If we excluded hunting weapons and looked more at gun deaths and handgun ownership that would give us a better representation of how we compare in the misuse of weapons or ownership of weapons that are specifically for self defense or aggression.

Agreed

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Ok wow. In reference to total ownership I was thinking of Switzerland, although I hadn’t realised the USA was THAT obsessed with guns.

It also was probably not the clearest post in the first place. We were taught to respect guns and that they were tools for sport and eating and not to be pointed at humans. Americans (generalisation) tend to celebrate/glorify violence. From the videos of death and distraction by their military, to the movies etc. 

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

The comments are a bunch of ignorant blather!

What a bunch of fools and idiots.

Not really.  I had read none of them, until your post, so I expected much more ignorant blather than I see there.  Or maybe I didn't read that many.   The commenters were no more fools and idiots than the hunters.

10 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Not really.  I had read none of them, until your post, so I expected much more ignorant blather than I see there.  Or maybe I didn't read that many.   The commenters were no more fools and idiots than the hunters.

How can you make that judgement?

Did you personally know them?

(edited)