Phil1111

Poll: Record number of Americans want to leave country

Poll: Record number of Americans want to leave country
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/423961-poll-record-number-of-americans-want-to-leave-country

More Americans than ever say they want to leave the country, according to a new survey.

A poll conducted by Gallup found that 16 percent of Americans it surveyed said they wanted to permanently move to another country.

Those numbers are the highest ever recorded by Gallup and coincide with President Trump taking office.

During the first two years of Trump’s presidency, 30 percent of Americans under the age of 30 said they would like to move, with 40 percent of women in that age group feeling the same way.

Gallup’s survey found that respondents view of Trump’s presidency was the single largest factor regarding their desire to leave the country, outpacing gender, age or income.

Canada topped the list of countries respondents said they would want to move to. Twenty-six percent of Americans surveyed said Canada was their top choice, compared to 12 percent who said the same in 2016

RonD1120

Good riddance

Yeah, but if 16% all moved to Canada, they would then outnumber native Canadians. They could then introduce a referendum to join the US and win the vote. The US would then get all their oil, timber, minerals, etc. You could force them to give up that stupid metric system.

You could drive from Washington, or Maine to Alaska and still be in the US. You could borrow a bunch more money to pay for corporate welfare and tax breaks for the wealthy. All kinds of other stupid wasteful republican ideas.

Betcha never thought of that!

Oh!, and most are still white!

SkyDekker

Canada topped the list of countries respondents said they would want to move to.

https://outabouter.com/2018/12/21/canadian-gofundme-raises-6b-in-two-hours-to-pay-for-privacy-hedge-along-entire-us-border-2/

if they promised to take their liberal politics and never come back, I'd even pay for a few of their plane tickets
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

tonyhays

That's some christian love for ya.

What? It's unchristian to let somebody make their own decisions? The real point is none of them are going to go. It's just a speaking point talking point b s point that makes for good newsbytes.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Phil1111

***Good riddance

Yeah, but if 16% all moved to Canada, they would then outnumber native Canadians. They could then introduce a referendum to join the US and win the vote. The US would then get all their oil, timber, minerals, etc. You could force them to give up that stupid metric system.

You could drive from Washington, or Maine to Alaska and still be in the US. You could borrow a bunch more money to pay for corporate welfare and tax breaks for the wealthy. All kinds of other stupid wasteful republican ideas.

Betcha never thought of that!

Oh!, and most are still white!

You are correct, I didn't think that far ahead. I had no need to. The point is that Americans have the freedom to live where they choose. If you don't like it here and you can't figure out peace of mind go where you think life will be better for you.

In counseling that is often referred to as the geographical cure. It rarely provides the satisfaction desired. Wherever you go, there you are.

Without Christ, you will never find true peace of mind, joy in living.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

normiss

Interesting perspective that only Americans have this option.

Equally interesting is how you twist perspective to change the POV.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

normiss

Interesting perspective that only Americans have this option.

I've been driving around listening for the last week or so. Home now.

You can say what you want about Trump and trumpism but what I see in the last two years is that he has brought out the best and the worst in America. Hatred and hope side by side. Just when I thought the nativists might be winning along comes the midterms and the rejection of Trump by just enough of the middle class to turn the tide. But really, it's a very close thing.

Hearing Nancy being sworn in along with the most diverse group of minorities and largest number of women ever was inspirational. Then on the other side is the party of grumpy entitled white men who still wield enough power to resist the inevitable changes coming. For a time.

Leave America? I can see why people are discouraged and answer a poll that way. But few will do it. Instead they will bear down, fight the good fight, and move the nation forward. Progress will stumble on because the forward looking people outnumber the fearful relics. And they are increasing in strength each and every day. No wall is ever going to change history. Walls have always been monuments to failure. Trump is a wake up call, a call to (metaphorical) arms, not a destination.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

SkyDekker

Canada topped the list of countries respondents said they would want to move to.

https://outabouter.com/2018/12/21/canadian-gofundme-raises-6b-in-two-hours-to-pay-for-privacy-hedge-along-entire-us-border-2/

I don't think most Americans know what it's really like to live in the North. Having lived in Maine, Michigan and Vermont my knowledge is that it just gets colder and the snow gets deeper for longer. There's snow season and then mud season and then just when you start to warm up it's back to snow season. No thanks.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

I don't think most Americans know what it's really like to live in the North. Having lived in Maine, Michigan and Vermont my knowledge is that it just gets colder and the snow gets deeper for longer. There's snow season and then mud season and then just when you start to warm up it's back to snow season. No thanks.

Don't be silly.

It's "Swat & Shovel."
Or "Snowplows & Orange Barrels."

:P

Seriously, the populated part of eastern Canada is from Detroit/Windsor to Montreal or so. The part above Ohio & New York. Same latitude as Michigan, Wisconsin & Minnesota. Same climate too.

The western part is the same as it's northern US counterparts. Northern plains are northern plains (Alberta & Saskatchewan same as North Dakota & Montana, British Columbia similar to Washington).

Anyone who lives north of I-80 or I-90 is familiar with it.

I've spent a fair amount of time in eastern Canada for work. Nice folks. Similar climate*, better than average coffee. Roads are rough, but similar to Michigan. Drivers are generally more polite than their US counterparts.

* - I do have to admit that the coldest temp I ever experienced was in Sudbury ON. -33 actual temp, not wind chill. I've seen mid 20s below in WI & Upper MI, but not 30 below.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

* - I do have to admit that the coldest temp I ever experienced was in Sudbury ON. -33 actual temp, not wind chill. I've seen mid 20s below in WI & Upper MI, but not 30 below.

Occasionally in Edmonton it will get so cold that even treated fuel will gell. You can't start a truck unless you put it inside. And you can't even buy fuel because those pumps don't work either. I've never seen it get quite that cold in Winnipeg, but close. In my childhood -40 F was not that uncommon, but it has only made it down to about -35 F 0r -37 C in the last couple decades. The record is -47.8. But it was in 1879.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Occasionally in Edmonton it will get so cold that even treated fuel will gell. You can't start a truck unless you put it inside. And you can't even buy fuel because those pumps don't work either. I've never seen it get quite that cold in Winnipeg, but close. In my childhood -40 F was not that uncommon, but it has only made it down to about -35 F 0r -37 C in the last couple decades. The record is -47.8. But it was in 1879.

I grew up in Southern Idaho. -40 was pretty common in the winter, with one particular noteworthy week seeing the daytime high NOT make it above -20F (noteworthy as it was an anomaly). Had to plug in the truck every night so it would start in the morning (engine heater).
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Had to plug in the truck every night so it would start in the morning (engine heater).

Funny. Most people have never heard of a block heater. We have to make sure ours are still working every fall.

gowlerk

Had to plug in the truck every night so it would start in the morning (engine heater).

Funny. Most people have never heard of a block heater. We have to make sure ours are still working every fall.

When I ordered my 2006 Wrangler, it was a factory option, so I included it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Castrol 0-40 to 5-40 full synthetic oil. Is the modern answer to block heaters. It will flow at -40 centigrade like conventional oil does at plus 5.

A good battery and synthetic oil and almost anything will start at -40. In addition the oil will start lubricating the engine as fast as if it was plugged in.

All the wimps here squawking about some cold. Sounds like a flock of mallards the first time the pond freezes. What do you think its like for a Somali immigrant moving to Minneapolis, or heaven forbid Edmonton Alberta!

Does anyone know that Alaska is a part of the US.
More African immigrants call Alaska their permanent home
https://www.adn.com/our-alaska/article/more-african-immigrants-call-alaska-their-permanent-home/2012/08/20/

Delphine Atu-Tetuh...Born in the West African nation of Cameroon, she won a visa lottery to move to the United States when she was 20. She settled first in Minnesota. She moved to Anchorage a decade ago for nursing classes at the University of Alaska Anchorage, intending to stay just a short time and hoping to avoid winter. ...

Atu-Tetuh earned her nursing credentials, had two children and now works the night shift as a nurse at Hiland Mountain Correctional Center....

Ifeoma Isolokwu moved to Alaska from Nigeria in 1997 to join her husband, a Nigerian who was studying at UAA.

Since then, she's had four children, open an assisted-living home business and earn a master's degree in social work"

American dream, diversity is strength.